You Spoke: Worst Tier Modern DE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheBurgh, Mar 31, 2022.

1. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

This was/is not a scientific exercise, so don't hold it to those standards. It is a collection of responses here and three other shaving forums. The listings were in response to a thread entitled "Bottom Tier of Modern DE Blades" found here on this forum [https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/bottom-tier-of-modern-de-blades.66365/]. These results cover posts through 03/31/2022. I will continue to accumulate results and edit this post for updates when/if there are a meaningful number of additions.

Of course, results are YMMV and we're intended to act only as a reflection of the personal experiences amongst a variety of shavers using a wide variety of razors. Hopefully, it can act as part of one's own research and usage (or avoidance) of a variety of blades. Personally, I hope that it will help new beginners to develop their own DE shaving product choices.

Statistically, blades with few or single votes are not particularly suspect. Reasons for votes are partially listed in the above-linked thread.

Without further ado, and presenting these in ascending order of quality (from worst-of-worst to best-of-worst):

Derby (Unspecified) 14
    Derby (Extra) 8
    Derby (Green) 2
    Derby (Premium) 6
    Shark (Super Chrome) 10
    Shark (Super Stainless) 3
    Dorco 11
    Rockwell 8
    Mercur 6
    Voskhod 5
    Za Za 4
    Astra SS 3
    Dollar Tree (Assured) 3
    Tiger 3
    Treet (Platinum) 3
    Van der Hagen 3
    Astra SP 2
    BIC (Chrome) 2
    Bolzano 2
    Ladas 2
    Lord 2
    Personna (Comfort Coated) 2
    Rapira (Platinum Lux) 2
    7 O'Clock Permasharp SS 1
    BIC (Yellow) 1
    Daylight 1
    Feather 1
    Flying Eagle 1
    GEM (Blue Carbon) 1
    Gillette Sword 1
    KAI 1
    Polsilver 1
    Rapira (Swedish Super Steel) 1
    Super Max (Platinum) 1
    Swedish Rijk 1
    Tatra 1
    Treet (Black Beauty) 1
    Wilkinson Sword 1

Thanks to everyone who actively participated and to those reading this.

2. brit

brit in a box

not many gillette blades there..;):eatdrink047:

3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

So basically, not a blade out there that somebody doesn't hate. Interesting.

Thanks for compiling that.

4. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Yep, and there isn't a blade out there that someone doesn't LOVE.

C'est La Vie.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I agree that the top ten "worst of the worst" is, in fact, comprised of garbage blades.
    Regarding no. 10, I know lots of people like Voskhod, but I find them to be unusable except in slant razors, and even then, the performance is mediocre.

Blades are so subjective, I'm surprised you were able to get (what I would consider) 'accurate' feedback.

I think Treet Black Beauties would make that top 10 list if more people tried them, but most people know well enough to steer clear of carbon blades unless they are willing to put in the effort to clean and maintain them between uses.

Hogie, brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I had good shave with the Carbon Steel Treet blades. I always clean my razor after shaving. And since these are carbon steel, I rinse and dry the blade off before putting it on my magnet until the next day shave. Rinse and pat dry.