Your all-around, do-it-all safety razor (if you had to pick)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Nov 22, 2014.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The question's been asked many times, many ways, but it's always fun to reconsider it based on new experience and evidence.

If you had to choose one safety razor that

∙provides comfortable daily shaves,
    ∙could efficiently take off a few week's worth of beard if it has to,
    ∙is within your preferred range of aggressiveness,
    ∙matches up well to your choice of blade(s),
    ∙is reliable/low maintenance (however you may define that),

AND
    ∙appeals to your personal aesthetic,

which safety razor would that be?

For me, the only razor to fit all of those criteria, and the only one I expect ever will:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah
    . The NEW's got it all. (though I'd lean toward long comb over short).

You?

Please post a pic of your choice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

For me it would be my Merkur 23c. It's consistent, comfortable, and always gives a great shave.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

[​IMG]

Don't think I've ever used a modern Merkur. Nice long handle, I see. Will it clog on a few weeks worth of beard? Looks like maybe not.

RaZorBurn123, ObiDon and GDCarrington like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There is no other like it….the 2011 Mühle R41—the closest thing to a straight razor shave I've experienced with a DE razor.
    Both versions are outstanding, but the 2011 model (rightt) is a notch above.
    [​IMG]

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Probably my Barbasol floating head razor.

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, ObiDon, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

iKon Shavecraft 102
    image.jpg

7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    If I was forced to choose only one, I would have to go with Der Vorschlaghammer - my 39c. It smoothly and efficiently removes anything I can grow.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gillette Slim

[​IMG]

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

For me, it does. But I don't grow a heavy beard. After about 2 weeks it stays about the same for stubble, and this razor works well for it. For me it shaves like an aggressive razor, but feels like a mild one.

ObiDon, gorgo2 and GDCarrington like this.
  10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Gillette New Long Comb

11. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

At this point I would say the Utopia that shows up every time in my photos. It's the only razor I am really good at using. It appears to be a clone of an r89 razor head, similar to EJ89 as well, and is quite smooth when paired with GSB or Voskhod. It's brass, and the chrome finish isn't the prettiest on earth, but it has come to feel like an extension of my own hand. I have accumulated other razors, but have mastered only one.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You will! Can't remember if you got ahold of a NEW yet?

Bama Samurai and Herm2502 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That sounds very interesting. Definitely not the Fatip, then.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I used to think it was the Cadet OC, but that left me with a touch of irritation and some blood and discomfort. Now, it's the Fat Handle Tech with triangle slots. Gives me just as close a shave with an Astra SP, but is comfortable afterwards and no alum block irritation.

16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

My Gillette FB (F1) 1960, is my go to razor, it does everything from setting 5 on my face to setting 3 for ATG on my neck. Case closed! I guess it is open.:rofl:
    image.jpg

17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

My beloved Weber all-stainless steel razor with polished head and bulldog handle. It will outlast me and look better in the end than I will :p

[​IMG]

I use it everyday and each time I use anything else, I long for the Weber. So I've stopped using anything else. :D

Disclaimer: I can only choose among what I have or had. If money was not an issue I'd look closely on an ATT, merely because the QC, finish and looks are out of this world. But I have yet to try one so I don't know how they shave, hence I cannot pick such one for this topic.

wristwatchb, MikekiM, ps1160 and 8 others like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Gorgo - that NEW is AWESOME! Replated it looks beautiful!

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My 1958 Fat Boy. But I don't have a pic right now - it's getting replated! So....here's a pic of my 1958 Exec - shaves the same!
    November Setup.JPG

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not mine but yep, it's superb. Someday I hope to have my brass one look just like it.