Your all-around, do-it-all safety razor (if you had to pick)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Strange though it may seem, +1.

2. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Weber DLC + UFO U2V1 Graphite Black

[​IMG]

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I usually shave with an Edwin Jagger DE89L, but if I had to pick an all-around, do-it-all safety razor it would be my Gillette Slim. Both the DE89 and the Slim meet these criteria and then some:
    • Provides comfortable daily shaves
    • Could efficiently take off a few week's worth of beard if it has to
    • Is within your preferred range of aggressiveness
    • Is reliable/low maintenance (however you may define that)
    • Appeals to your personal aesthetic
    Since the Slim is adjustable, it wins the prize for this category:
    • Matches up well to your choice of blade(s)
    The DE89 works well with a variety of blades, and I somewhat prefer the heavier weight of its head. The Slim works at least passably well with just about any blade, and very well with many others. It is the razor + blade combination that counts, not the razor or blade by itself. The Slim can adapt to more blades than a non-adjustable razor, however good. Will the Slim always give the very best shaves? No, but for me it is the best all-around razor.

Troy M, tuxxdk, Bama Samurai and 5 others like this.
  4. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

My goto shaver in any situation would be my EJ DE89 with a weber bulldog handle. If I could only pick one then this would be it.

5. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Well, for me the part about handling a few weeks growth eliminates everything except scissors and clippers.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    new7.jpg
    My NEW is hard to beat.

wristwatchb, dscaver, ps1160 and 9 others like this.
  7. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Same ol' question, same ol' answer...my 1908 Single Ring. It's an absolute model of utility, efficacy & aesthetics. I haven't actually shaved with it for a while as I've been diggin' the straights, but it's the best DE for me. Close, comfortable, smooth, durable, simple. Classic.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
    dscaver, Troy M, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

That's beautiful. Maybe I should get mine plated. But, for now the shiny brass is good enough.

gorgo2, Bama Samurai and Jayaruh like this.
  9. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Currently, it would be my Parker 91r. It can mow down significant amounts of facial hair and provides a comfortable shave (so long as you pay attention). However, I do have an ATT system on the way with M2, R1 and S1 plates. I think my answer is likely to change soon!!! I hope !!!

wristwatchb, Troy M, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

image.jpg Got to go with my 2013 R41

11. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Gorgeous photo. What's the bowl? I REALLY like that!!

Herm2502, celestino and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm with Jim on this one. My New SC is my "go-to" razor for any situation - face or scalp, day 1 or day 7.

gorgo2 and GDCarrington like this.
  13. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Ball end tech is my favorite.

gorgo2 and GDCarrington like this.
  14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The Standard Razor - it's the gold standard for me!

image.jpg

dscaver, gorgo2 and GDCarrington like this.
  15. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Capable of removing a couple of weeks worth of growth, and in my comfort range of aggression is incompatible to me. If I have a couple of weeks growth, I reach for my straight.
    I shave every day, and do not ever foresee an occasion where I would have even a week's growth, let alone two. If I must shave daily, and could only have one razor, it would be the one I started with in the 70s. My black handled Super Speed.

[​IMG]

Kenny Ingram, dscaver, gorgo2 and 5 others like this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've been down this path a number of times. For me it usually lasts between 8 months and 1.5 years.
    My first love was a Feather Portable on a Bull Mastiff handle. From there it was an Old Type on a BRW Improved handle. From there it was the LC New on a Weber Bulldog. There was some time spent with a Barbasol Floating Head, a R41, or an OCMM. Now I am back to either a PH Weber or the Feather Portable on a Bulldog handle as my daily driver but still pull these others out when the mood strikes.

gorgo2, Troy M, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Is that a Zen brush?

celestino likes this.
  18. celestino

I picked up this bowl at a store at our Chinatown area, here, in Vancouver. :)

19. celestino

It is the same one I have posted in my SOTD pics, a beautifully turned ZenShave Snakewood brush! :happy108:

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Love his brush handles :)