Your beard growth and what "with the grain" means to you

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by J.F. Martin, Jun 8, 2014.

1. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

From what I've read and heard over time, it seems like most men's whiskers grow downwards, and the first pass of a shave should always be a downwards motion. Then across the grain from ear to ear, and against the grain upwards.

This is not how my beard grows. from my neck to my chin grows upwards, and each side of my beard near my ears has a large spiraling cowlick! My cheeks grow towards the ears and downwards at about 45 degrees. the only part of my beard that grows downwards is my mustache and goatee area.

when I started shaving with DE razors I picked up on this, and followed the three pass shave based on my growth. I can't be the only one. I know now that this was one of the reasons why cartridge razors irritated my skin, because I was shaving always shaving downwards on my first pass. This meant shaving against the grain for some of my beard.

for those of you with growth patterns like this; do barbers pick up on it? I would like to have my barber shave my face with a straight soon, never had it done before.

jason esterly likes this.
  2. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I believe it's quite common for beard to grow in all sorts of directions, mainly in the neck area.
    I think we had a thread here years ago, talking about growth patterns and people would upload pictures of theirs?
    Just like in most other professions, barbers are not carbon copies of each other - some of them don't even know how to shave! They'll have different styles and procedures, so i think you should just ask him.
    P.S. Unless you have some sort of deal with your barber where you can bring your own straight, you'll probably get shaved with a shavette. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think straights are used in barbershops anymore due to health regulations

3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Namnlöst.png

This is what I got. It doesn't take long to map it. And when you do, you need to go WTG everywhere, thats the best way to avoid irritation. What I did was to practice WTG a couple of times then I added XTG on some places. Now I do WTG and XTG all over. Everyones beard growth is different, its like fingerprints but on your FACE =P

You can map your whiskers here.

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

We've all got different patterns, that's how it works. There are some similarities, but it's entirely coincidental.

On my face, evertyhing goes staight down to my jawline. Along my jawline on both sides the hair grows from my ears inwards to my chin. At my chin, it grows downwards. On my neck to my jawline. it grows up diagonally.

Keep in mind, directions for shaving ATG/WTG/XTG that you get from others is just generic advice. How you need to shave is how you need to shave. On my face, I do WTG/ATG/WTG for three passes. My jawline is mainly XTG. My neck gets a WTG/ATG, and then is finished off with a North pass and a South pass that also cuts across the jawline as that's the only way I can get most of all that off. No shaving directions will tell you to do that, but it's what works best for me.

5. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

beard pattern.PNG

cool tool, here's what mine is like.

6. jason esterly

jason esterly New Member

very impressive.

7. jason esterly

jason esterly New Member

liked the explanation with the picture with the sectional division.

8. jason esterly

jason esterly New Member

Grains are the vitamins.

9. jason esterly

jason esterly New Member

The grain is nothing the talk of proper beard vitamins.I would love to appreciate your efforts of growing beard,the beard makes a guy look like a man and more handsome.The thing is how to nourish your beard with much consultation.The modern time Beard cream with dose of proper beard vitamins would just help you much to get a better beard.