Your favorite/best adjustable DE....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

My first OP here, so I thought I'd make it a decent one. I, as most of us here on this forum or other have acquired many different razors whether it be because of RAD, vintage collectable, or just the sheer pleasure of using a different razor and discovering each one of their unique characteristics.
    I personally have an affinity for adjustable razors, just love them for their ability to give you the shave you want whether mild or wild. I have a few in my collection, but there is one that stands out above all. I call it Thors Hammer, the venerable Merkur Vision. The look, feel and size just leaves me mesmerized everytime I look at it.
    So, what say you Gents? What's the adjustable that just makes you get all warm and fuzzy?? Pic coming soon....

Keithmax, Demidog, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Fine first OP. I am new to the wet shaving sport and decided I really like the adjustables. Right now my 2 favorite are Thor's baby brother the Merkur Futur, and his cousin the Merkur Progress. Great weight, great flexibility and awesome build quality. In fact I have just received the progress yesterday, and had my first shave with it today. Smoooooooth is an understatement.

Douglas Carey and Str8on2 like this.
  3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I've FALLEN in Love with my Rockwell 6s and I don't Know how to Break the News to my Other Razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0509.JPG
    Only have had it for 5 months. But it is awesome!

Keithmax, Spud, SpeedyPC and 7 others like this.
  5. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I have only 4 razors in my den now all adjustable

Rockwell 6S V 2 (MIM) daily driver
    Rockwell 6S V 1 for travel
    66 birthyear and quarter Slim use on Sunday's only (and Birthday)
    67 Slim, was my dad's when he was in the service overseas only use on rare occasions

Having the adjustable feature to handle daily shaves or 4 days stubble is why I only use adjustables now. For me all I need.

6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0233.JPG I love my one and only Adjustable, the 1971 "R R" Super Adjustable 109. Paired up with a Voskhod blade and set on "9" it's a stubble assassin!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have several adjustable razors. I like that they can adjust to my likes. Funny thing is, once dialed in, I almost never change my settings.
    Slim (7)
    Fatboy (7)
    Executive (7)
    Super adjustable (7)
    Futur (3.5)
    Progress (4)
    Berkeley custom shaver (4)

8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My Parker Variant ousted my Futur as my number one razor.

SpeedyPC and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Merkur Futur is the only adjustable I have ever really enjoyed shaving with. I never cared too much for the Gillette adjustables.

I love my Rockwell more than any adjustable razor, but I will be the curmudgeon here and say that I don't consider it an adjustable in any way, shape or form. It is a three piece razor with a lot of baseplates. I have never once heard an ATT razor called an adjustable. It was just a kickstarter marketing term IMO, and it took off. Not trying to start an argument, just my two cents.

10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I agree; the Rockwell is not adjustable IMO. It's reconfigurable, using different baseplates.

Edit: I do have high hopes for the Rockwell Model T.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  11. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I want won.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I too have the 6S and am not a big fan.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Care to elaborate?

14. RetLEO-07

Concur. No dial, not an Adjustable!

15. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Adjustables are like a buffet. In a buffet you choose what to eat, in an adjustable you choose your shave.

I have a slim and a fat boy. Until I started a 30-day test of straights, the slim was my daily razor.

16. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

The first adjustable gillette.

Double/Single Ring.

Demidog, jmudrick and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Sorta agree, but it does have the option to adjust via plates to make it extremely mild to aggressive. I have started a shave with # 6 plate (5 days of stubble) and switched plates for 2nd & 3rd pass to a 4 because of that I consider it an adjustable. However if the 6S is not considered adjustable, no problem still use my Slim.

18. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Sure. It has a very nice weight, but the difference in level to level in my opinion is not as precise as giving a true adjustable a slight twist. I am not a fan of having to stop the shave and replace the entire plate to try to dial in the mild or aggressive position. And since i have several adjustables, the S6 is gathering dust.

19. RetLEO-07

Different strokes, as they say. Lot easier to click over than to take the razor apart during the shave is all I'm sayin'.

20. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

Terry Williams and Douglas Carey like this.