Your favorite brush overall for face- & bowl-lathering - let's hear it !

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by CHSeifert, May 1, 2012.

1. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

I have tested a few brushes now, sold some after testing and kept some. I'm a shave cream user, not a soap user.

My overall favorite for bowl lathering has got to be the GB Kent BLK8. Its Silvertip badger hair has the softest tips of any brush I've tested. It creates a great lather in a matter of seconds, it has just the right size grip - not too big, yet not small either - so perfect grip for use in a bowl.
    The knot is not dense the same way my Simpsons Polo 10 Super is, so this makes the Kent BLK8 perfect for bowl lathering. I love painting my face with it.
    It's velvet silky soft. I would not enjoy it as much for face lathering - too soft for this. Not floppy, but too soft and too much loft.

My overall favorite for face lathering is with no doubt the Simpsons The Duke 2 in Best badger. This brush gives me a great face massage because of its backbone and knot density. Its relatively small size, its dense fan shaped knot and the compact grip makes it prefect for creating the lather directly on the face. I would not enjoy bowl lathering with this brush because of the short handle, the scrubby feel and the relatively small knot.

I finally will mention a brush, which in my view does a great job at both tasks - it's great at both face lathering and bowl lathering - the Mühle Sophist Silvertip brush. This is a very good all around brush.

So what's your favorites :)

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I don't really bowl lather, the only time I use a bowl is for demonstrative purposes, in which case whatever brush I feel like using goes in the bowl...

Face lathering, is a tougher choice but I will go ahead and say Duke 2, whenever I try something new, or don't want to worry about anything its the brush I reach for; it works flawlessly with anything.

sotd10102011.jpg

3. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Thanks for your contribution to 'my' thread :)

Especially since you pick my Número UNO brush for face lathering.

I also love my custom Shavemac D01 2-Band, the Duke 2 in 2-band, the Duke 3 in Best and the Chubby 1 and 2, but none have so far beaten The Duke 2 in Best Badger for lathering shave creams on my face - not even close !

Sodapopjones likes this.
  4. Sodapopjones

Indeed Claus, I have no idea why the Duke 2 performs the way it does, but it is a great brush! I may or may not pick up a Classic 1 and see how that compares, since it is in between a Duke and Chubby.

5. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I don't bowl lather very much, more of a face latherer, I would have to say that I'm torn between two brushes, my Vulfix 404("the grosvenor") and my Semogue 830 , I really enjoy using both for creams and soaps!!!.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Omega Pro Boar has taken over my den, and that's a good thing.

7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Same on the Omega pig. Though right now it's the 10005, I intend to get the pro. Only face lather now, but if I bl'd the Omega would see me through...

8. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Vulfix 376 in Super Badger
    a1.jpg

9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Too hard for me to answer currently as I just added a few new brushes. I face lather 99.9% of the time so here's where I'm at currently...

If I want a very soft experience I go for the Muhle Black Fibre synthetic.
    For a scrubby massage I use the Semogue OC 2-band badger.
    For everything else in between I use Semogue boars; SOC, 830, 820, & 1438.

10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

It's a toss up between the Colonel x2 and the AOS Fine Badger. I may actually lean a little more toward the AOS brush. Oh gosh :signs002: I don't know, I DON'T KNOW! :scared011:

11. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

My favorite brush for face lathering currently is a Vie-Long BGS2012 Horse Hair brush. for bowl/scuttle lathering I would say it is a toss up between the Semogue 2015HD and the Rooney 2/1, both perform well on the face as well..

12. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

My current favorite is the Semogue SOC 2 band.

13. newb

newb Resident Newb

My favorite brush for bowl lather is the Frank's 28mm Richmond with the overstuffed Silver Tip. It's a soft fluffy cloud with a bit of backbone.

My favorite brush for face lathering is any Vie long in Natural brown. I find the natural brown Vie Long horse hair to have just a bit of scritch that makes it perfect for face lathering. I also highly enjoy the Frank's Richmond 24mm in Finest, my well broken Turkish Horse Hair #6 (I was lucky and have a really well made one), and Omega's Mighty Midget all are face lathering machines.

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Yes! Got the same brush a few weeks ago! I couldn't believe it when I special ordered the overstuffed knot and Ian said it would only be $2 extra... What a fantastic brush! Oh, wait - I got Frank's finest - whatever; it's simply wonderful on the face.

15. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I only face lather and love using either of my Mühle Silver Tip Fibres.

16. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

What sizes of the Mühle Silvertip fibres do you prefer and own ?

I contemplate getting one in 21 mm black resin handle for facelathering....

They are pretty affordable in Europe - 21 mm only costs €42/$55 at the Mühle shop.

17. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I have the Mühle Basic Nr. 02 and the Travel shave brush in Nickel, both with the 21mm knot. A photograph is here in the Mühle Silver Tip thread.

18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

19. Sodapopjones

Oscar, you haven't filled the pimp green handle yet, or have you?!

20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nope, if you'd like the handle pm me your address and you can have it. I think I drilled it out for a 28 mm knot, however.