Your first car

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by sparky5693, Jul 8, 2007.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    A recent post by IsaacRN made me think about my first car. It seems, that it doesn't really matter what it is, it will always be the car you look upon with the fondest memories. For me, it was the first taste of freedom. Finally the opportunity to do what I wanted, when I wanted.

My first car was a 1973 toyota corolla. I got it in 1994. She was still young (21 years) and had about 40,000 miles on her. The sheer goddess of acceleration she was, at about 60 mph it sounded like a hive of angry bees. That sound at 60, let me know shew was giving all she had, yet somehow she'd make it to 65, sometimes even 70.

Bright orange, lime green shag carpeting covering most surfaces, and white sheepskin seat covers. A series of darker green fuzzy balls circled all the windows. Vibrant clear christmas lights were tactfully packed under the dash, to give a glow upon my worn out sneakers. The back of the car, was jacked up about a foot too high (for no real reason). The shiny chrome painted wheels, really set off those raised white letter cooper tires.

Being the nerd I am/are I had a 386 computer mounted on the passenger side, so that I could play my favorite video game scorched earth, where one pixel shot another pixel, with a smaller pixel. I decked her out with the chasing red "knight rider" lights on the front grill, and I had a stereo that would later finance the purchase of my second car.

Somehow, I felt like the coolest guy around when I drove that thing, (I put 20,000 miles on it in 2 years.

I'm a big dude, I had to look like a monkey riding a tricycle, lol.

[vbpg]200[/vbpg]

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Wonder what post it was :)

My first car was a 1967 Mustang. I helped to purchase the car back in 1994 and had it until last year. It was in good shape. It had a straight six, with no air conditioning.

In the summer heat of El Paso, TX, it was a chore to drive with no air. I loved it and received many compliments. Only real reason i got rid of it was becasue the floor pan began to rust. When i took the car to be re upholstered the man said he could fix it. His fix was to cut a whole in the floor and screw in a new piece of metal. Imagine the way most mothers fix holes in denim jeans.

Alas, i do miss my car and hope whoever has her now treats her well.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Toyota 4Runner

I still have/drive my first car, in this case a SUV (I have driven other cars, but they weren't "mine")

Bought a 2000 4Runner, in May 2000:

[​IMG]

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I bought my first car from an auction. $135 for a 1987 Mustang w/ no key, no ignition, no locks. I had a screwdriver though. :D

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Mine was $600. I saved for a year and a half, painting houses with my grandfather. I bought her the day I turned 16

6. Queen of Blades

I cleaned dead flowers off graves in the summer to earn some money, which paid for the car plus other stuff of course.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I use to put dead flowers on graves.....made my job great because someone kept cleaning them up....which meant i had a job :)

8. Queen of Blades

Cool! Thanks for helping me make some money! It was a sweet paying job really.

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I made my money buy cleaning tables in a steakhouse. Was a job that eventually turned me into a waiter and then a bartender...which was the best job i ever had.

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

My First Car

1970 Pontiac Le mans Sport with a 350 V8. Bucket seats and a vinyl roof. I got it in 1975 and cost me $1800.00 Low Miles. It was one sweet street car and the guys loved to cruise in it with me. I had a steady girlfriend when I got it so even though it drew the ladies, they were not allowed to ride. :D Ah many a backseat fond memory in that car.

11. Will

Will Nevermind

SO you da one dat took my ride!

Cops had me pinned down an eryting. Iz was just joyriding naw what I mean :rofl

My fist car......................Drums Please

Eight Four K car!

12. Zachster

Zachster Member

My first car was inherited from my sister, who went off to college in NY just when I turned driving age. It was a '78 Chevy Monza "spyder" that my father had bought for her. To be honest, considering that the car was only about 3 years old when I got hold of it, it truly was a piece of garbage. But at that age I thought it was quite the bomb! The first car I bought on my own (after a couple of years of spending more money to repair the Monza than was reasonably warranted), was a '57 Studebaker Silver Hawk that barely ran but was the coolest looking thing on wheels. I really consider the Stude to be my first car.

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

1966 Volvo 122S

....same condition but mine was more "brown"

14. 1971 MGB.

I want another one.

15. herzi

herzi Active Member

1985 Ford Sierra :mad:

16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My first car was and still is a FIAT Palio Weekend that belonged to my mum and dad before me. I got it when I started to go to university - the choice was getting either my own car or a flat in the city where I study (17km away).
    75 horses, 7 years old, 70.000 km on it and it takes me everywhere I need to go :D

17. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I never had a car.. Not even a driving-license for cars.. But I do have a license for bikes..

My first bike was a 1997 Aprilia Pegaso 650cc.. Nice bike with Italian temprament.. But it had a faulty electrical system so it had to go.. I still miss it sometimes though..

18. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

1995 Honda NSX-R when I was seventeen. Custom JGTC widebody kit and a twin supercharger conversion. Got a sponsorship deal from the garage that did the work, but the insurance effectively crippled me both financially and in my ability to drive on the road. Still had a lot of fun with it at RWYB race days in the summer months, sold it on 4 years later.
    Wasn't really a good cruising car though so it was never a magnet for the ladies:(

19. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

A real American classic...not!

1966 Chevy Chevelle Malibu

(Now, before you go thinking I had, like, the great American muscle car, you must know that my mom got it from a neighbor for $25.00--she told me $50, just so I wouldn't be so embarrassed.) :rofl

But that's what it would have cost the neighbor to have the junker hauled off, so I got it instead. Sadly, this was in the days before I was really into DIY and restoring things, so I just thought it was a POS.

We had another neighbor who was a "shade tree" mechanic, so he got it running, and knew someone else who did the body work. Trouble was, I had ZERO interest in restoring the car then, so it stayed a bondo gray color.

It was four-door with the 250-something straight six motor. The interior was crap. But man, I wish I had that car back now so I could restore it and drop a bigger motor in there.

20. Baron

Baron New Member

1987 Chevy Celebrity... $800 :)

stalled with less than a quarter tank during braking, trouble hitting 65 uphill, but it ran.

Used it for 2 years, then sold it for $800.