Your First Cartridge Razor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Sabre, Oct 18, 2015.

?

What was your first cartridge/system razor?

1. TWIN - Trac II/Super II/WII

15.4%
  2. PIVOTING - Atra/Contour/Ultra/Ultrex/Profile

15.4%
  3. Sensor

23.1%
  4. Tracer/FX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mach 3

23.1%
  6. Xtreme3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Quattro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fusion

3.8%
  9. Hydro 3/5

3.8%
  10. Other - Protector, Slim Twin/Advantage etc.

15.4%
  1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

What was your first cartridge/system razor? My first was the Gillette Contour in the late 80's...

engrsaks likes this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wilkinson Sword Bonded Razor System - Early 70s

s-l1600.jpg

RaZorBurn123, engrsaks and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have over ten of these, and hundreds of the carts but I still have't tried it. So other then ;)...

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh man, I really have no memory of that. Wish I did but shaving was more of a chore then than it is now :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Boojum1

You're too young to remember them. ;)

6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I can remember my first few razors, and virtually every razor that I have used. I couldn't say how they shaved but I remember when and where I used them, and what brands I have tried...

7. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Mine was the Gillette Sensor. I can remember the handle I had from 1990 into the early 2000's...wish I still had it. Aces!

8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I switched to the Sensor in 1990, I bought a Wilkinson Sword DE in 1991 as I was curious. Then migrated to the Mach 3 in 1998.

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Fusion last year...used 1 month then I switched to DE.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That was my first cartridge razor. Got it in about 1971. I didn't have it long enough to buy refills because I loaded a blade that was misaligned. I did not check it out until it had taken a chunk out of the left side of my face. The first stroke of the first shave of that blade. I still have a tender spot there. I believe these were the first cartridge shavers.
    wilkinson sword bonded.jpg

RaZorBurn123 and Boojum1 like this.
  11. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I really can't remember. I do recall shaving in what I believe you call secondary school (grade 7 or 8), but I do not remember what I used.
    When I was 18 I was gifted an electric razor from my parents (my dad is a shaving infidel) and I used that one for a few years before replacing it with a cordless one. I did shave with a cartridge every now and again, and it might have been a mach 3.

12. Boojum1

First cartridge razor, I agree Jim. Long time ago. I remember tossing more than one bad cartridge.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I tossed the whole thing and went back to my Schick.

14. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

My first ever cartridge razor was Gillette Blue 3 (aka vector 3 aka Sensor 3). I used to shave with shavette in those days and purchased this one to see why most people like the cartridge razors. My first shave with it was surprisingly amazing. After that, I have never re-visited the shavette. I can tell you one thing, sensor 3 is a much better three bladed razor than mach-3 (YMMV of course).

Leo K. likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My first cart razor was also my last. :happy097: I used a TracII and canned goo, from the time I was 22 until right before I retired, for over 30 miserable years until I discovered "traditional" shaving, TSD and MUCH better IMO equipment and products!! DE and SE safety razors, "real" shave soap, the shave brush and better pre and post shave products have given me far superior shaves these last years.:happy088:

Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  16. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

You mean to say, even two blades can cause ingrown hair problem for you? Have you ever re-visited cartridge shave after learning the proper way to shave?

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Yes I did revisit cartridge shaving using my TracII after learning proper preshave and shaving technique and using better products. I will say the results were definitely better than before, however compared to the results I now get using a single bladed DE razor, cart shaving is still not really worth the effort IMO.:)

engrsaks and tuxxdk like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Let's think. My dad had a TTO in 1976 when I started to shave, I remember using it and changing the blade, that was an experience!! So after trying his Gillette my mom bought me a what I believe now was a Gillette Atra but unfortunately I never wanted refills. I've had cartridge razors over the years but never would buy the refills, until now.
    So technically it's a Gillette Atra. I love it.

19. johnski1994

johnski1994 New Member

I only needed to shave about once a month in highschool so I just would use my Dad's ATRA real quick. In bootcamp they issued us Gillette Sensors, I guess that would be the first cartridge razor that I actually owned. I bought a new one at CVS a few months ago, I guess for nostalgia's sake. It didn't seem the same as it used to be, I seem to remember it being better made and a little heavier. Could be my imagination though.

20. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

My first cartridge razor was the Mach 3 Power. The green and black one with the battery. I used it once then accidentally dropped it in the toilet (seems like a trend for me) and tossed it because...it fell in a toilet lol. Then progressed onto a Schick Hydro 3 which I actually still have. No blades for it though.