Your First Cartridge Razor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Sabre, Oct 18, 2015.

?

What was your first cartridge/system razor?

1. TWIN - Trac II/Super II/WII

15.4%
  2. PIVOTING - Atra/Contour/Ultra/Ultrex/Profile

15.4%
  3. Sensor

23.1%
  4. Tracer/FX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mach 3

23.1%
  6. Xtreme3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Quattro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fusion

3.8%
  9. Hydro 3/5

3.8%
  10. Other - Protector, Slim Twin/Advantage etc.

15.4%
  1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Trac-II carts are expensive?... I don't know what to say but to me (who lives in Pakistan), these seem to be very adequately priced.

Correction, the thread was posted under "Cartridge razors" category.

No one has a problem with your opinion. The way you present it, is another matter, though. :happy088:

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

This thread is in the cartridge razor subforum, not the main safety razor forum. Had this thread appeared in the main safety razor forum, I would not have responded to you the way I did.

engrsaks likes this.
  3. Jerry-built Hustler

I'm not an engineer, but I'll offer my layperson's understanding. The spring mount allows blades move in a horizontal plane - from the front of the cart to back - as they encounter surface irregularities. The razor is held to the face in this horizontal plane - pressing from back to front. Thus, the blades can compensate for the pressure, as well as adjust to any surface irregularities.

The cutting force is in a vertical plane - from the top of the cart to bottom - as the razor is pulled in a downward motion. Gillette's spring blades do not adjust in a vertical direction, and hold their position when encountering whiskers. They do not "give" when cutting through hair, and as such, they retain their cutting efficiency.

engrsaks likes this.
  4. engrsaks

Ok so here is the confusing part, wouldn't the blades treat the beard growth as an irregularity and skip over it? Or is the spring mount really that good, which makes the blades adjust properly for every single whisker? :confused:

5. Jerry-built Hustler

Think of the shape of a whisker versus your average skin irregularity - e.g., mole, bump, etc.
    The blades cut through whiskers, because of the shape. They stick straight up (or at a slight angle) out of the skin, and the blade edges catch into them and cut through them. Most skin irregularites - moles, etc. - or more gradual in their slope, so the blades can ride over them. I suppose if you had a skin tag that stuck straight up, similarly to a whisker, the blade might slice through that.

engrsaks likes this.
  6. engrsaks

Oh I see, now it seems pretty simple. Thanks

7. engrsaks

Oh shoot!

[​IMG]

8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Don't shoot the fluffy bunny! :(

engrsaks likes this.
  9. ASD2

ASD2 New Member

Mach-3 in bootcamp.

Just a blade and water.

How far I've come:

Free razor, with free water

To

$200 razor, using 25ยข blades, a $50 brush, and $30 shaving cream.