Your Most Moisturizing Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Throughpoint, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Throughpoint

Throughpoint New Member

Getting a bit tired of my Proraso Aloe and Green Tea Soap, and looking for a really moisturizing (my face is prone to dryness, especially during the actual shave) shaving soap. I'd love to hear your personal favourites. Thanks :)

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Distinct winner for moisture in a shave soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (also sold as Kent)

Others I've tried that were close: Pre De Provence, Arko Shave Stick
    One I haven't tried but hear is also very good for moisture is Institute Karite.

Mind you, most people believe no soap actually moisturizes; just that some are less drying. I also have oily skin, so what works well for me is a soap that replaces the heavy oils on my face with lighter oils. Heavily drying soaps cause my skin to react by producing even more heavy oils.

3. Throughpoint

Throughpoint New Member

I'll look into Michell's Wool Fat. I've heard good things about it!

Yeah I probably should look elsewhere for a super moisturizing lather (i.e. Shaving Creams?), but thanks for the info. It makes sense, how counter-intuitive shaving soaps are in that way. Perhaps a slightly drying soap is what I need, so that my skin produces light oils.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

You guys might think I am crazy, but Tabac soap seems to be very good for the moisturizing. It certainly does not leave my skin feeling dry. :) :D

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Try a puck of VDH Deluxe the pink one, I find it as moisturizing as MWF. As for creams get a tub of Maca Root which can be found at the Body Shop at larger malls, also try TOBS Avocado a wonderful cream.

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Cream-TOBS Avocado-very soothing to skin
    Soap-MWF and TSD soaps-especially Cracklin Firewood or A1 from last years
    SOTQ.

7. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I have recently discovered Cella, a soft soap made from tallow and coconut oil with a mild almond scent. It has nice shaving characteristics and seems very moisturizing.

Sent from Windows Phone 7 using Board Express.

8. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

After Mwf and tabac im not using aftershave cream..

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I find that VDH delux leaves my face soft and smooth, I also love TSD store soaps.

10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

:sihns011

Out of the various soaps I have tried, MWF is the best for moisturizing. It EXTREMELY dry here at winter (Alberta, Canada) and I find the skin around my mouth takes a hit. I was using C&E soaps, but those were just making things worse. So I used MWF for a week and the skin wasn't dry anymore. I know it was the soap, as it was the only variable that changed in my morning routine (other than the fact it was only getting colder outside).

I highly recommend it if you are looking for a soap that isn't drying.

11. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

AOS for me and I like their sandlewood. :happy088

12. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

My most moisturizing shave soap is the Calani Purissima. Fantastic stuff!

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Personally, I find the shea butter soaps better than MWF for moisturizing. Pre de Provence, Provence Sante and Ogallala.

14. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

As stated by ChemErik, "One I haven't tried but hear is also very good for moisture is Institute Karite."

I tried the Institute Karite this morning, and praised it in SOS. I love the Fat and love the way counters the cold, drying Chicago winters, but I must say IK just might be better. It is very easy to lather, contains both lanolin and shea butter, and forms a very creamy luxurious lather. It left my face feeling even moisturized. The scent is very mild, but as I have seen on a thread, there are ways to beef up the scent by adding EOs, M-bomb, or even a few swirls of another soap. IK is really a must try and a soap that can be used everyday. Of course YMMV. Past performance is not idicative of future results.

15. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Mama bear, TOBS Avocado, and Cella.

16. crackstar

The Fat is very moisturizing, but it still did not help my skin--in fact it irritated it badly. Institut Karite is an awesome soap, with a very nice scent, which seems to go well with Grey Flannel aftershave and eau de toilette.

17. nav

nav Well-Known Member

Jeff, would you say that is a lanolin sensitivity? I see a lot of your creams in the SOS forum and you have a LOT of creams of which plenty are very strongly scented ones.

Have you used other lanolin containing products? I am curious to see what it may be about MWF that irritates your skin.

On topic: I found cella left my skin VERY oily, to the point it was disgusting! MWF on the other hand leaves my skin soft, supple and moisturised...not oily. I just love it, best soap on the planet!!!

18. crackstar

I think it can be the lanolin, because Musgo Real cream also contains lanolin, and from time to time it also gives me some irritation, but not as much as MWF did. Cella is very, very good to my skin--it always leaves it feeling smooth and PROTECTED against irritation. :)

19. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

I have had the best luck with T&H creams but tobs does well too.

20. sfbagger

sfbagger New Member