Your perfect brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Nov 12, 2017.

1. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Ahh. That's why I like it so much. It's a beauty.

RyX and clint64 like this.
  2. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I always come back to my trusty Semogue 620 boar. For me it has just the right amount of backbone coupled with its broken in softness. Been using it for years.
    Semogue 620.JPG

3. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

This brush, made for me by my 13 year old son, Maggard Knot, lots of love, what could be better than that?[​IMG] brush2.jpg

4. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

My current favorite is this beauty made by Jayaruh, JR 76. It is a tall brush with a great feel in the hand. I replaced the original Maggard knot with this 24mm synthetic from Shave Revolution. It is soft and has nice loft, zero glue bump. Great for face lathering.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    oscar11, PanChango, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  5. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

That I own? My Rooney Stubby XL1 Heritage Three Band, my M&F style 3 size 1 in "Finest" Fan. That I'd like to add...Rooney style 1 or Stubby, any size in the legendary "Finest" or a style 3, size 1 in , again, That "Finest" or Heritage Three Band.

oscar11 likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This is a fun thread. I thought about my answer to this for a long time. If the question was favorite not perfect, I don’t think I could answer it, but perfect is maybe a different thing.

I have a group buy brush from Nathan Clark, one that is very similar to his Alluminati line:

[​IMG]

I kind of like longer handles for bowl lathering and shorter fatter ones for face lathering. No absolutes, just what I tend to do. Well, this one is kind of in the middle. It has an Envy White two band in it, which really is a fantastic knot. It has decent enough density to give it some backbone, but has good flow through, partly because of the wide opening at the base. The tips are soft, without any scratch, but it’ll give you a good scrub. The handle has pretty good heft to it, but isn’t overly heavy. I really like the simplicity of the goblet shape, the clean lines, and the color.

I think this brush is the closest to perfect that I own, in terms of performance across the board.

oscar11, clint64, PanChango and 5 others like this.
  7. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

My favorite mixed knot brush:

This brush is a Semogue 2011 LE Caravela and was a joint project of two Iberian shaving forums, Barbear Clássico and Foro Afeitado. I consider myself very, very fortunate to have acquired this brush. It was first offered to members of the Barbear Clássico and Foro Afeitado. Any remaining were sold to the general public by Vintage Scent. My understanding is that these brushes are extremely hard to locate and purchase.

The knot is marvelous and is best for face lathering.

The image at the base of the knot is of a 15th/16th century boat.

The brush has the following characteristics: Mix of finest badger hair with bristle hair 90% tops. It is two bands, since the bristle hair will be dyed at the bottom, leaving the white tips. Mixture of finest badger and bristle 90% tops. It will be a 2 bands, more like a sow mixture, at the bottom of the base it will be more tenuous, keeping as many branches as possible. (Words from brush site)

24 mm knot.
    51/52 mm loft
    52 mm handle height
    Acrylic handle imitation or turtle shell

Car.jpg Car1.jpg

GatorJoe, oscar11, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  8. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

As of right now it's this brush. I bought it as a test to see how far it could be restored and installed a 24mm Maggard 2 Band. Decent backbone with great soft tips, havent used it enough to judge if its a soap hog (probably is a little) but I love it! The split is still a little visible so I decided to keep it for the wife and I and I'm happy I did!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

oscar11 and TestDepth like this.
  9. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Depends. Some days it is my Simpsons Special Pure, some days my Semogue 610, sometimes my Maggard Black and White 22mm, and occasionally my Omega Mixed Midget. Maybe I have commitment issues?

Macktheknife

oscar11 likes this.