Your switch to Wet Shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jbcohen, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Maybe tomorrow I'll try and cut back on costs. I'll break open the Williams box and superlather with, umm, TSD Bay Rum! There, look at all the cash I'll save...a buck or so for the soap and only $6 for the cream! Oh yeah...and I'll whip it all up with...........the $180 Tulip!! :rofl

For years and years, I shaved with that sad old brush, that chipped mug a cake of Williams...and an M3. Really really cheap. Who cared if I spent $10 for a 4-pak of cartridges? And $1 every so often for a new puck. It was shaving - ugh! I had no idea you could even buy the stuff that's now in my cabinet. Hell, I only recently bought the cabinet!!

Yes, it costs a fortune to do what we all do...but I for one, appreciate the fact that I actually ENJOY, even look forward to, shaving now. If ya gotta do it, sure is nice to enjoy it for a change.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

That is a lovely cabinet Fergie!

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thank you, Ken.

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

You bought that right? Or was it made for you?

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Bought it at a Connecticut antique shop. I actually went looking for one cuz 1) I ran out of room and 2) I wanted something with a glass door. As for making one, if I had gone that route, I would have made it myself. Hard to duplicate that patina though. Hmm, got a stash of 30 year-old air dried black walnut that might look nice....and if I keep buying more stuff........ :o

6. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Niiiice...

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

ok, I will conceed the RAD argument, you all are right on that score.

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Oh.. used electric for the first 15-20 years of facial hair ("Philishave Tracer, the looks of a winner!").. lol.. changed to cartridges and gel a 5-ish years ago.. Didn't even think about DE/Safety until a year ago. Bought a Merkur Futur.. got hooked!

9. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

Yeah.... Awesome... I didn't have a mug. Just squirt Barbasol straight on to this fine 37 year old Ever Ready Shuttle Cock and I was off and shaving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Now THERE is a brush... :D

11. Will

Will Nevermind

That old Blues song "Ima MAN!" is stuck in my head now.::

12. Sir Critic

Sir Critic Member

I used an electric shaver for years, finally it got so bad with my tough beard and tender skin I gave up and grew a beard for a year, but even with a beard I still needed to trim around it. I keep hearing 'good things' about 'wet shaving' and since I didn't have experience or really knew what it was I did some web searching. Thankfully I found THE blog and THE videos and found what real wet shaving is.

So far I've never had any regrets, and the one time I was in a hurry and use my electric again it quickly reminded my why I at one time felt like using it to mow grass. While I now enjoy shaving like I never did before it does take more time then I sometimes feel I can afford. But I still will wet shave and hope that with time I can increase my speed (I'm down to 30-40 min for a good shave now).

Summary; I started wet shave out of desperation for a good shave that didn't leave my face feeling like it had just cleared and plowed 20 acres (I have actually had to wipe the blood off my face after shaving with an electric - so much for the 'safe electric shaver')

BTY, most all of my electric shavers are the rotary type.

13. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I started wet shaving back in the days when that was the way you shaved. As new products became available, I drifted off to them, though also had a beard for many years.

But then I found a shaving cream I liked (a tube of Taylor of Old Bond Street) and wanted to send it to my son. I asked if he had a shaving brush, and he said he didn't, so I started searching on-line for a shaving brush---and whoa! what all I discovered. I plunged into enjoyable shaving and am still loving it.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Looks like a lot of us came to wet shaving from electric. I to was a mistaken devotee of those terrible mini-lawn mowers, used them for 25 years never got a good shave out of them once.

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

How does that work? :D

16. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Can you reveal your settlement? :D

Raf

17. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Hey, stop bustin' the guy! You've never made a typo? JB, was the electric a 40's model? :rofl

Sorry, bud - Isaac started it!

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Sorry typo. Don't laugh one of them was a 40s model.