Your thoughts and ideas concerning Durham Duplex

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dadvest, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

I started this journey of wet shaving some time back with straights. Some I bought honed up sharply and some I honed *chuckle* myself. Although I did enjoy this shave, I could not devote the time and had little talent to hone razors on my own. So I switched to DE shaving and very much enjoy this. But the itch is on and I have got myself a Parker sr1 that I enjoy using. I have been eyeing a Feather Artist and will one day pull the trigger on one but in the meantime I have seen and read some about the Durham Duplex razor. I would, however, like to have some direction, advise and ideas from the Shave Den nation. So thank you wise folks in advanced!

Conrad1959 likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Well..I've been sorta wondering about that one myself. There's really not much info out there on the DD. Durham stopped making the blades for that thing years ago and the only new stuff that can fit it are carpet cutting blades..and I'm not sure you want to go there..:eek: I think there's a thread or two on SRP and maybe on B&B. Sooo..that's about what I know. Anyways whatever your adventure will be with the DD.. best of luck...

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

If your really interested in going the disposable straight razor thing then holding off until you can go with the Feather is my advice. I've tried a few of the ones that use the half DE blade method and it was not a pleasant journey. The Feather is really like shaving with an open razor without the trouble of honing or stropping . There are places on the net where they go for under 100$US. And go with the proguard blades.

4. highball

highball Member

+ 1 on the Feather, I use Kai pink milds

5. Rob72

Rob72 Member

:eek: Dear Lord! A Weck Sextoblade ran me $15 delivered, and another $5 for Personna blades (Sally was out of the 10 pack- saves $1.50) The Weck is very close to a straight in length, and is pretty unforgiving, though if you get one with the guard, its an easier learning tool.

The DD uses the thinner Stanley carpet blades, IIRC, and has a full guard. Up side is, you're unlikely to look like you were necking with Edward Scissorhands' sister; downside, a shavette like the Weck will definitely make your handling of any razor better, they are an absolute "no-pressure applied" tool, not so much with the DD.

6. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I use both straight razors and a Feather Artist club SS, plus i hone and restore a few razors for a couple of members on the UK TSR forum, regarding the Feather AC - SS well all i will say is this, it's a fantastic razor and shaver, i use the Pro blades i love mine and wouldn't part with it.

Jamie.

7. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I have a Durham Duplex and recently shaved with it using a NOS Durham blade. Much too wide for my taste!

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I used a Durham once , an original blade I tried unsuccessfully to hone , result was a bad shave, massive irritation. Durham still sells the blade that fits the razor but they are labelled as dog grooming blades.

9. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

The DD blades are still available. Try a Google search for Durham Duplex Dog Dresser Blades. :D

I use them. work perfectly but are not SS so keeping the blades dry is important. DSCN1572(2).jpg

Conrad1959 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Really!.the doggy blades are good?? Gonna need to try me one of those...

11. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

If your job includes occasionally shaving a Pit Bull, it smart to have a GOOD blade. :D

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  12. AwNix

AwNix Member

Never tried one. The heads are waaay too wide & wacky looking. I always see Durham handles on other razors like the STAR and GEMs quite a lot. I often get the Durham Duplex and Segal razors mixed up. Both use special blades that aren't made anymore.

I suggest not buying any razors that use special blades. The blades tend to be very expensive since they are few and far between. Razors that use "proprietary" blade would make a great new subject just to inform folks who think they're buying a razor that uses regular blades. :)

13. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Go with the Feather. I believe that is the best shavette on the market

14. eighties

eighties New Member

I picked up a Duplex in a junk shop for about $6.00 so I thought I would try it out. The only blades I could get my hands on were the personna carpet cutting blades but all in the interest of shave science (or the fact that I just like to live on the edge) I had a go with it.

Let me preface this by stating that I had very low expectations to start with. But it really didn't shave that bad. It wasn't stellar but I would say for the first go 'round it was a DFS. The feel was unique to all the other razors I've tried. Apparently the first blade I put in out of the pack was sharper then the others as I haven't had results as good since. Passable but not great. I understand that Personna does make pathology blades that are identical to the the size used in the carpet cutters and I would assume that for medical applications would be much sharper, perhaps someday I'll be paying a visit to a local pathologist to see if I can get a sample. I would also like to try the doggy blades since they are getting a nod as I really like the concept behind the DD. So in short, my thought are that it is a vintage disposable blade straight that has potential, replacement blades being the major wild card.