Your thoughts on a pre-1977 Super Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Red Rider, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I've been considering a pre-1977 Super Adjustable to add to the rotation.
    Would like feedback on those who own and shave with it.

Noticed that the price of these on the "market" have gone a bit wild so will hunt in the wild or shoot for a red tip.

DrTerror and Robyflexx like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Price on these is up and down, as it is on most razors. I have a (I think) 1970 and it serves me well, though I've been using Trac II type carts the past several weeks out of laziness.

DrTerror and Red Rider like this.
  3. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

If I tried for a super adjustable I would try for a 4th quarter 87 because its one of the only razors I can get for my birth quarter.

4. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

The SA razors work fine for me and my brother. A sweet ride.

5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have one and it is great. The long handle gives it a different, but good, feel. Not sure of the date. It has the all brass/nickle head. I would be careful on the razors with the black plastic head/base.

6. labrax

labrax Member

I have one and it shaves very well - I have limited run time on it as I also started SE shaving and picked up some user grade slims. I think it shaves better than the Red Tips and perhaps better than the Fat Boy - right up there with the Slims. Have been using Polsilver bladed in the two Slims and Super Adjustable (1973).

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The "plastic" is nylon. It's sole purpose is to act as a guide for the blade exposure adjustment. The actual baseplate is made of metal and sits above the nylon plate.

The overall quality of later razors isn't as good as earlier razors, but that is irrespective of the black nylon base.

DrTerror, Red Rider and Omaney like this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Concur.
    My only gripe with the nylon is the aesthetics. The performance isn't affected IMO.

As to the Super Adjustable, I tend to like using them over their predecessors because of the lighter alloy handles. The razor is head heavy. I also tend to dislike them for that same reason. They're likelier to corrode and gunk up inside the hollow.

DrTerror and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. DrTerror

DrTerror Well-Known Member

I like the SA's,I have 3 ATM,2 in front of me now,as I have been painting the numbers back in,and one in bits,needing a bit of work,sat in the out house.My only gripe,is the aluminium handles,I personally hate them.
    I used to use my P2 109 SA a lot,but I have since gone over to mainly OC's,so it doesn't get used at all now.The other 2 are 89's,one is my birth year/quarter 1970 P1,and the other in bits one,I think is from 1969.

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I would pass and get a Slim, The SA doesn't drain out as well because of the cap on the end and tends to get gunk inside. The Slim is a bitter razor IMHO.

Jim99 and DrTerror like this.
  11. DrTerror

It is an easy job to remove that pesky bottom cap though!,and once done,you can then inject white mineral oil straight into the 'workings' to keep it clean and smooth,for virtually ever!.;)
    just like a fatboy or slim...
    White mineral oil cleans the crap out,that other treatments miss too!.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am enjoying a month of shaves with my '69 SA, a gift from @Dzia Dzia . I am really liking it. I have settled on setting 8.
    black_beauty09.jpg

Robyflexx and DrTerror like this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

There are two variations of the Super Adjustable. The long handle "Super-109" and the short handle "Super-84". Both are excellent shavers, my preference is the long handle. I have three "Black Beauties". A 1970 P-1 SH, a P-4 LH, and a 1976 V-2 LH. All three have the metal base plate. The better condition Super Adjustables cost $$$. :sad027:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  14. DrTerror

My mistake....109,84...not 89 s i said above!

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got a Long Handle '75 and a Short Handle '70 and like them both.

16. labrax

labrax Member

Just picked up a '74 Super-84 and it is also a fine shaver. Would recommend for people that want to try an adjustable or like the Slim or FB. Should be able to pick up one for $15-20.

Robyflexx and Jim99 like this.