Your top Worst shaving cuts:

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tomholton1234, Aug 16, 2009.

1. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

Today I cut myself across my top lip when trying to shave my under my nose. This, was a strange, and one of the cuts I'll remember for awhile.

A couple other cuts I got in the past that stand out include:

- at the top of where my sideburn starts. Somehow I slashed it in a way that it didn't fully stop bleeding for 2 days.

-Upon getting that cut, my arm jerked up quickly and I cut myself on the inside of my ear also, lol.

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

When using a "shavette" style straight razor for the first time, I didn't heed the advice of "if it feels like the blade is starting to 'stick' don't push on". Worst cut ever with a razor.

I think that's when I put up my straights, and especially that shavette, too. ;)

3. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

Ugh, I once cut myself badly about the ear. You don't realize it when you do it, but it sure can bleed like the dickens... It's difficult to go to work with tp stuck on your ear and not feel like a complete dweeb.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I haven't gotten any real bad shaving cuts, but I bought an old injector once and was trying to push the old blade out with a knife to clean under it (thankfully after a good cleaning and sanitizing everywhere else) and the knife slipped and I got myself pretty good on the exposed blade that was pushed most of the way out.

Actual shaving injuries have been limited to razor burn and a few weepers (knock on wood.)

5. Sailor

Sailor New Member

I have cut myself with knives plenty of times. The worst razor cut I ever got from shaving was with a mach 3 it left 3 beautiful lines running down my chin.

6. Singapura

Singapura Member

My worst cut was last week...in my finger. I always take out the blade when cleaning and found out that Feathers are just as sharp on the corners as in the middle. Was bleeding like a stuck pig and my finger still has an angry red mark on it.

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I haven't cut myself with the Shavette yet, each time I pick it up I think will this be the time. However I am currently using a cabinet blade, which is a lot different from a DE in feel. I have never had a serious cut, just lots of weepers the first time I used a Feather - maybe about 20 :ashamed001.

8. selhov

selhov New Member

for me the wort cut was on my chin with a cut throught razor i just left my shaving on hold for three day,s to give it time to heal, me and shavette,s dont get on i rather use a DE of SE,or a cut throught, i seam only to get little nic,s with theas but shavett no sir not for me:eek:

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I sliced a big chunk of my arm (just above the elbow) off with my wife's multi-blade last year. It was attached to the shower wall and I slipped a little....

In regards to an actual shaving injury...

I got myself under the nose about a month ago with a straight. I leaned in too close to the mirror and hit the scales on the mirror, in turn driving the blade in. I didn't think it was bad at the time and that it would heal quickly. Nope... nice scar under my nose to start the school year with. :cool:

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Hmmm...

I nicked myself on the nose once while trying to shave too quickly. That one healed fast but was super obvious.

I've nicked myself on the lip before, also when shaving too fast.

But in terms of stares received and questions asked, my worst misadventure was with an open comb micromatic. Thought I'd use it for the first time on a Sunday morning. Got to work and the guy helping me set up stared at me and asked "what did you do to your face?"

11. jeffmik

jeffmik New Member

When I first got my Futur I was experimenting with it wide open and sneezed before I could get the razor away from my face. Cut a sizeable gash into a nostril that bled for days - I finally used a styptic pencil on it which hurt way more than I thought it would. Took weeks to fully heal.

Besides that, I'd say that especially the first week of having the Futur (my first DE) was shaving hell - I still can't believe I kept with it after some of the razor burns I got on my cheeks.

12. dpm802

dpm802 New Member

My worst cut was on my thumb. Yeah. I picked up my 39C by the wrong end and it sliced a deep gash in my right thumb.

I rinsed it under water, I pinched it off, I applied styptic (oooouuuuch!) and it just kept bleeding. I'm talking about a gusher of blood that got all over the sink, on me, on my slippers ... everywhere.

Finally, I just wrapped it with toilet paper and sat for about an hour, waiting for it to stop bleeding. When it did, I cleaned it with Witch Hazel, applied some Zinc Oxide cream, and fashioned a covering out of gauze and first-aid tape.

When I went in to work the next morning, they had a hard time believing that I cut myself shaving.

It took a good month or so before the skin grew back together. It left a neat scar that runs parallel to another scar I got 45 years ago.

13. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I'm going to say my worst cuts were from when I first got into wetshaving and couldn't wait to find a shavette, so I went to Sally's and bought a hair-thinning razor, and began experimenting with it with the gaurd off.

At the time I was also convinced that Baby Oil was the best shaving lubricant.

I cut my legs up badly then. I don't think any of the scars have lasted.

II.

I've had a few nasty cuts with proper shavettes - again nothing serious.

Never had anything more than a small nick a Fusion could deliver with a proper straight.

I've cut my fingers several times wiping lather off shavettes with my fingers.

III.

Right now I've a few unhealed cuts on my legs from DE cuts...

They all go away.

IV.

Ultimately, I think I need to slow things down.

14. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Those were my worst, yes those. I had more than one before I gave it up for good.

With a DE the worst cut I got was when I sliced off this invisible but there mole. I bled for half an hour. Other than that it's been limited to weepers and burn.

15. mbwhoosh

mbwhoosh Member

My worst cut was a combination of these two posts. I sneezed and left 3 nice lines in the middle of my upper lip (looked like a bloody hitler) w/ my mach 3.

I never cut myself again(about 10 years)........till today I gave myself a nice slice near my sideburn w/ a new cutthroat I was trying. It isn't very big about double size of a nick but it wouldn't stop bleeding and ruined my shave :(:mad: think I gonna take a break from str8ts and work on trying new soaps and aftershaves and come back to them later.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've only had two that were a little more than a minor nick, both caused by bumpring my elbow on something. The first was with a Mach 3 before wetshaving and I had TP on my face for a couple hours. The second with with my Superspeed and I put an alum block on it for about 5 minutes and the bleeding stopped. The second one also healed much faster.

17. My Thumb

The worst cut I had was on edge of my thumb. I had my progress with Swede in it. I reached for it standing on the shelf without looking and I knocked it over. Well the edge fell and sliced a nice little gash on the end of thumb that bled pretty bad. Turned out fine out after a few days.

18. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

I did something similar to that too. I was trying to remove the cover of a blade on an eyebrow trimmer. It wasn't budging so i pushed it harder with my thumb. suddenly it popped out, but my thumb slid all the way across the fresh blade. Those blades are Feathers-sharp...

19. When I shave with a straight, most of the time I wipe the blade off on a damp towel. Occasionally I will just rinse it as I go. And seldom, if I forget to take out a shaving towel, I will just wipe the blade off on the ball of my hand.

I know. It sounds stupid and kind of dangerous and it probably is, just don't wipe in the wrong direction because thats exactly what I did a couple of weeks ago. It bled for a good while, although I was able to stop it by applying pressure for about 20 minutes.

It was interesting to get people's reactions when they would ask me what happened.

"I cut myself shaving."

BigMark likes this.
  20. ateace

ateace Member

My worst cuts have definitely been since the swich to DE about 18 months ago.

Worst - Easter Sunday last year. I was short on time (you see where this is going) and was very eager to try out the '48-'50 Super Speed I had just gotten. I lost my grip on the razor for a split second, which was just enough time for it to come to rest and plant itself fimly into my upper lip, creating a torrent of blood.
    Fortunately, there is a CVS across the street from where I live, so I strode in holding a thick wad of toilet paper to my lip. The only styptic they had was the large-size Clubman for $4.95. Well bend me over a barrel. I showed up at Easter dinner with white powder and a clump of blood on my lip.

Second worst -- While using my nimble Merkur Travel razor, I tried flipping the head around too quickly and made a nifty chin divot. I still have the scar. Plus one or two other little red spots in the same area from bad nicks. The chin is the tricky spot for me.