Your Wisdom

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mkdrb, Sep 2, 2013.

1. mkdrb

mkdrb New Member

Hey guys - I'm just arriving here.

I've had a safety razor for quite some time, but am only now seriously getting into using it. For the last ten years I've been shaving with cartridge disposals, and against the grain at that. I've always thought that super smooth baby bottom feel was the way to go. Of course, razor bumps and other manner of irritation resulted.

Now that I'm with the safety razor, I'm shaving with the grain. To me the biggest drawback is simply that it's not as close of a shave, (but neither was shaving with the grain with disposables when I tried.)

I'm posting because I'm a newbie to this method, and am sure I could gain from your collective insight. Thanks for reading this, all!

BigT likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

First welcome to TSD..:) Second you can go XTG..that is using a diagonal razor path towards, but not dead into the grain..and get very similar results as going ATG and without the irritation ATG may bring. Many folks here get by just fine with this approach, myself included. Also as you're skills develop, you may find your directional capabilities with the razor might diversify as well...

BigT likes this.
  3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

First off Welcome to the Den! Maybe I can help a little. Wet shaving with a DE razor is a totally different process then that of the cartridge razor shave. When wet shaving you will need to make several passes, with the grain, across the grain and against the grain. These passes should be done with NO pressure on the razor against your face. Let the weight of the razor do the work. When wet shaving you will be gradually reducing the beard during each pass. I also suggest a decent shave brush and a good shave soap or cream. I'm quite sure you will be receiving all kinds of welcomes and suggestions in the near future. Again, :signs046:to the Den!

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to sign up for the September Newbie Give-Away.

You are correct, a single pass will not give you that close of a shave, but it is also what prevents the irritation that is so common with cartridge razors.

Let me explain. With the DE (double edge) safety razor it's all about beard reduction, not complete beard removal in a single pass. Most folks will take two or three passes for that BBS shave, and leave all the irritation behind. The first pass is always WTG, or with the grain; the second is XTG, or across the grain; the third (and not all folks can do this, it simply depends on how sensitive your skin is) is ATG, or against the grain. Mapping your beard to find the direction your beard grows is simply achieved by running your hand over your face and noting what direction it feels smoother (WTG) or rougher (ATG).

I'll hook you up with some links you really gotta check out here in a minute, but first I want to fill you in on BBS.

Yes, it's what everyone wants. No, not everyone can achieve it, and even those of us who have achieved it have done so by perfecting our technique, and to be honest, it does not come every time. DO NOT TRY FOR BBS - LET IT COME TO YOU. People who try for BBS will 99% of the time wind up with razor burn. As I said, perfect your technique and BBS will eventually find you.

Soooo... go grab a favorite beverage, something to munch on, get comfy, then click here ---> *click*

Slipperyjoe and BigT like this.
  5. AKASL

AKASL Active Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!:signs046:

Like yourself I am rather new to this style of shaving, I've been at it now for just over 2 months. I used disposable razors for more years than I care to remember. The thing you have to remember most is NO PRESSURE! What do I mean by this? No pressure means exactly that, you can not be in a hurry, you can not be distracted by anything that will keep your attention off of your shave and you can not apply any pressure to the razor to try and make it shave faster. Leave the speed shaving behind and take the time to thoroughly enjoy the time you have to shave.

Also avoid shaving against the grain. Instead shave with the grain for your first pass then lather again. Shave with the grain again and for your third pass, lather again and shave across the grain. Do not try for a baby bottom smooth shave until you can achieve an irritation-less shave that might have some stubble left over. You will find that your technique will improve once you eliminate the irritation.

You might want to try something I tried when first learning to Wet Shave. I removed the blade from my razor and performed a blade-less shave with my eyes closed. Believe it or not this helped me quite a bit, because I could feel the amount of pressure I was applying to my razor on my face. After a few of these practice sessions I loaded the razor with a brand new blade and proceeded to shave, making sure I had the correct angle and motion across my face.
    The shave was not BBS but it was for the most part irritation-less.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Great idea that shaving without the blade in the razor. I still use the trick when it's a razor I'm not yet familiar with and want to get used to the weight and balance etc before the blade goes in..but the eyes are open..lol I wanna see what I'm gonna hit, or whats gonna hit me..:scared007:

7. mkdrb

mkdrb New Member

Wow, thanks, guys! I appreciate the advice! I'll definitely remember the "no pressure" rule. I can see how doing otherwise would really hurt the skin. And no baby smooth. Sounds good.

I suppose as time goes on I'll find my niche in the traditional wet shave world.

Thanks again for the advice and the welcomes! :)

8. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Welcome to the Den!

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD mkdrb.......I hope you enjoy it here...:)

My advice is the same as above "Don't Chase the Baby"!!! I started trying to get and still continue today for an "irritation free" shave...To me an "irritation free" shave is what is most important!! BBS will come with time and practice or it won't....BBS with an irritated/razor burned face just isn't as good as consistant DFS with "NO" irritation ever I.M.O. :shaver

Heloguy likes this.
  10. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you more.

11. mkdrb

mkdrb New Member

Alright, next question. On average, how often should the blade on a safety razor be replaced? I imagine it would have something to do with the sensitivity of my skin, thickness of my mane, etc., but is there a ballpark number you guys shoot for?

12. AKASL

AKASL Active Member

As many shaves as you can get comfortably, when it starts tugging and pulling I'll switch out the blade. For me this normally occurs after 1 shave :(

13. mkdrb

mkdrb New Member

Wow, you must have some coarse hair. What variety of blade do you use?

14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Depends a lot on the blade, the razor and the user. As a generalization, I would say 3 shaves is a typical minimum, but some get up to 7 shaves with a DE blade.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nope, we can't tell you how many shaves you will get. Only your face can tell you. Some folks are one and done, some go into double digit shaves. Most of us get three to five. Toss the blade when it starts to tug and pull - it may be two, it may be 12.

16. mkdrb

mkdrb New Member

Sounds good. I appreciate the advice, fellas.

17. AKASL

AKASL Active Member

I use Astra SI blades and yes I have white wire for beard hair and sensitive skin to boot. :(

18. mkdrb

mkdrb New Member

So update! Yesterday in the mail I received my first badger brush. I'd only ever purchased a very cheap boar's hair brush. I've been using William's shaving soap, (which after reading some other threads I've come to realize it's not always so hot), and it never did lather very well at all.

Well, lo and behold, I pulled out the badger brush and immediately I saw a difference! Who knew?!

Queen of Blades likes this.