Yuma razor pass around, anyone?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Oct 25, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    (First, I apologize to TSDers not in the continental US, but ... )

If you guys have been paying attention to my blatherings, you may have noticed that I think the Yuma razor is one heckuva shave for a $2 (ugly?) cheapo razor. I loaned my last one to a dude (who made the switch, y'all! Ding-ding. Another point for me!) and, being without, I ordered 5 pcs from bestshave.net last night.

"Five?" you may be asking. Well, yes. I want at least one for me, a couple to give away, and one or two for a Yuma pass-around.

I haven't seen a collective review of a travelling shave box in a while. Would anyone like to participate?

We could keep it really small and limit it to the Yuma(s), or open up to whatever someone wants to throw in the box. However, I'm thinking that a small box means small postage, so I would propose the smallest UPS flat rate box.

I think it would be cleanest to use this as an enrollment thread and start another thread for individual reviews ... and to record changes to the box contents! I would be very surprised if a Yuma didn't break along the way. I could also throw in a couple of tucks of blades...maybe a soap and a Turkish #6. If others did the same, the package would change a bit.

Anyone interested? My order won't be here for a couple of weeks, but we could sign up, settle on methods, and establish the roster for participants.

NOTE: I've been thinking a LOT about shaving geometry. I really hope to hear from the TSD collective on how the geometry of the Yuma compares to your favorite shavers. The razor is extremely light, so you bulldog fans won't likely wax enthusiastically over the weight, but you might be able to appreciate the shave. Similar for fans of long handles.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. maltedmilk

Article Team
    My Yumas arrived today. If anyone wants to get this box going, I would kick it off with:
    2 x Yuma razors
    10 x Baili blades
    5 x Bic Chrome Platinum blades
    1 x homemade "Ian de Candre" soap (I like it pretty well, actually)

I would consider adding an SE and some GEM blades, if that would make a difference for someone. I would hope that a few people sign up because that seems more fun to me. I am willing to go with as few as three participants.

Any takers? If so, reply with "I'm in" or something. Once we get to three, the first taker can PM your addy and I will start the box.

Thanks for playing!
    Sean

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great initiative but personally not in as I'm having trouble juggling the razors I already have accumulated - and trying to become a SR shaver :D

Best of luck and looking forward to see what reviews/thoughts comes out of this!

Bristle Me and maltedmilk like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You got one.

maltedmilk likes this.
  5. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I would love to participate if you'll have me. Sounds fun

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's interesting that he breaks off pieces of the soap and uses that in the scuttle. Never heard of that. Have I been lathering in an inferior way all this time in my scuttle?

Bristle Me likes this.
  7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I have no idea what a Yuma Razor is, but what the heck. I'll be in if there's room. What are we doing now?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I'll be in. I'm always interested in stuff that punches above its weight.

Shotwell and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I am in. Can we add some things to the box as we use up the original contents or even just because they fit with the current contents? Ie. Toss in a soap sample, pack of blades, or cheap 3 piece razor as long as it doesn't up the cost of postage.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Whoa! Hey, guys. That'll teach me to not check in over most of a weekend!

Man, I am stoked that you guys a willing to play. Unfortunately, I've blown the weekend so won't get the package out until Monday or Tuesday. (NOTE: Our van went into the shop on Friday. It is presenting some logistical challenges to our family!)

Yeah, I though this Yuma box might be a little like a geo-cache: take a little something, leave a little something. There's no reason not to fill the box and I was thinking about using the small USPS flat rate box (it costs about $5 to ship). May as well fill it, eh?

Um... since there are now six players, I'm thinking about send two boxes. I mean... who likes to wait? @Bama Samurai and @Mr. Droid , you guys are first. Please PM me your addys. When you are done, PM the next guy on the list for his address. Bama Samurai can be leader for the odd numbered participants and Mr. Droid for the even numbered.

This is gonna be fun! :happy088:

stmaryja and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

.../...

I'm hoping to see read some reviews from you lot :)

And I will only make one small teasing joke that you lot is spending $40 combined in shipping on a razor that is $2 :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  12. Bama Samurai

I am doing No Variation November and was wondering if I could go second or third? Anyway, PM sent to get it started, will follow along either way. Just kick it off and let's do it! This is gonna be fun and can't wait to see it!

@Bristle Me @Chuck F @maltedmilk

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  13. maltedmilk

Article Team
    I did not make it to the post office today, but I have packed the boxes. Contents of each box:
    razor
    1 x Yuma
    blades
    9 x Baili
    9 x Treet black (carbon)
    6 x Bic Chrome Platinum
    6 x Bolzano
    soap
    1 x homemade "Ian de Candre"

On the blades, since we are starting with three people for each box, I thought I would send multiples of three. I hope you guys try the obvious quantity. If anyone else joins later, we send the box on down the line, but the later participants get pot luck.

The IdC soap does not exactly follow the IdC recipe. I added cocoa butter and left out the extra glycerin. I wrote down exactly what I did but lost the paper before I could record my notes on the computer. <sigh> Oh, well... It is made from stearic acid, coconut oil, cocoa butter, potassium hydroxide and water. The scent is coconut and vanilla.

I think it would be way cool if guys kept signing up and these boxes kept on traveling. If people continue signing up, I would suggest the new guys to take note of which box for which they are registering, adding "odd" or "even" to their sign-up posts. It could be fun to see how long a razor lasts or how long before a given box is destroyed by shipping damage!

Oh... speaking of shipping damage... I went a little overkill on the packaging. I invite anyone to modify or re-package as you see fit. The boxes way right at 12 oz., so just under the USPS 13 oz mark for First Class Mail Parcel rate of $4.12, but I think a tracking number may cost extra.
    (This is my feeble attempt to recover from @Darkbulb's dig at the money spent vs. value of the Yuma. It ain't about the money, DB! It's about the camaraderie and... THE SHAVE!
    ... if your comments hurt, it is only because they are true! ;))

I hope to get these on their merry way tomorrow. Thanks again for y'all's participation!

Bama Samurai and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I do hope my comment came across in the humour/sarcastic way it was intended (the internet is bad for conveying that) as I think what you're doing is really neat and that it does motivate people to be active and have fun :)

15. Bama Samurai

I took it as good natured. Sure it's silly! No worries my brother.

FatherofSquirrel and Darkbulb like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Let me know where I ended up on the list. Can't wait for my turn, thanks for coordinating this!

17. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Dude! I thought it was hilarious!

Actually... I paused to wonder about the lack of sense, but then realized that I if I count the value of the blades, soap, and combined shipping... it isn't quite as silly as it appears. We aren't paying $40 for a $2 razor, but contributing to a shared TSD experience! It unites us in common shavedom and TSD spirit! ;)

How's that for a little spin doctoring?

Box 1
    BristleMe —> Bama Samurai —> Chuck F

Box 2
    Mr Droid —> Mr Shaverman —> Flightmedic

Howzzat?

18. Bama Samurai

Good spin doctoring! Thanks for switching the order.

19. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Still time to get in on this?? After November 30, that is?

20. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Sure! If I have kept track, we currently have an even number of participants, so you could join as easily as this:

ODD - I'm in.

Currently, Box 1 (aka "odd") is:
    BristleMe —> Bama Samurai —> Chuck F —> Shotwell

Next guy can start with
    EVEN - I'm in.

Uh... if there is a stigma with "odd" and "even," I guess Box 1 and Box 2 will work just as well. ;)

Bama Samurai likes this.