ZY Straight Razor, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BeShaved, Jul 5, 2017.

1. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

I am thinking about getting this SR.

The main reason is because I live in Indonesia and getting an SR from USA will cut my pocket so deep that I can see the earth's core. The seller is closer to me in region and gives a free international shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZY-5pcs-Men...367161&hash=item5d6aceb88b:g:7XUAAOSwXeJYJWVE

The seller said that the SR has been honed by their 67 years old Master.

What you guys think? Should I buy it?

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No. In the world of str8 razors I have heard from many of those more knowledgeable than I, "cheap means cheap." In other words, a low cost razor is a low quality razor.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with @swarden43 and I would advise doing more reasearch and waiting for a better deal. A str8 razor that is not really shave ready and that can't easily be made shave ready locally is pretty useless. A good shave ready razor can be made to shave and kept working for a while with regular well done honing, but eventually you or someone else will need to hone it. That said from the reviews I read, some people actually like Chinese str8's, one reviewer even claimed his came shave ready from the hands of master what's-his-name. There are actually a lot of reviews on Chinese str8's I think if you have the equipment(stones) time and inclination and can hone your own razor or have access to someone who can make it truly shave ready it might be worth it.
    It might be much better to save some more money a get a better razor. Also find someone local who can actually sharpen it for you. Good luck :happy088:

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would say "No" , only because I don't trust anyone who says their razors seen"Shave Ready". I have heard the ZY Razors do take an excellent edge, and shave well. @Billyfergie hones many of them for people, with great success.

5. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I tend to disagree with you guys. ;)

Some months ago I bought a Gold Dollar razor from this exact same seller and it was actually pretty good. It arrived here very sharp - might not have been THE sharpest razor I ever received, but definitely shave ready. And it still works very well.

On the other hand it's not a fancy razor. Cheap and flimsy plastic scales - but you can't really expect first class materials and workmanship for a price like that.

gd600.jpg

6. DaltonGang

"Update" I have bought two ZY razors from this vendor, just for fun. I've had them a couple of weeks, and haven't tried them yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZY-China-Shave-Ready-Straight-Razor-HRC60-Stainless-Steel-Handmade-Extra-Sharp-/252886475569?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=7CZcU9IIZnFSD6UvAtHDcED81b8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    I was going to hone them. But, since the vendor, and you, @Marverel say they are truely shave ready, I will give them a try, tonight. I will say, that shipping from this vendor is the slowest ever seen, from any vendor, but they did arrive.
    So, @BeShaved , I will post later today, my results.

BeShaved, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I have Honed a Number of these ZY Razors..They Hone Up as Easy as a Current Dovo in My Experience & Surprisingly Shave Just as Well as a Carbon Blade Dovo..That Will NOT be Shave Ready..:D

Billy..:chores016:

BeShaved, DaltonGang and mrchick like this.
  8. DaltonGang

"Updated Update".
    Curiosity got the best of me. I inspected both razors from the vendor "ganvillage_green", and stick with my original post. I dont trust anyone who says theeir razors are "Shave Ready". The edge looks to be machine hones, and very uneven. The sharpness wasnt there, with either razor. The toes on each were rough, almost saw toothed feeling, and the heels were butter knife dull. I stropped both about 100 times on the leather, and only about 1/3 inch in the middle of each blade would "Barely" cut a hanging hair. I "Will Not" attempt to shave with either of these, until I hone them myself. If I havent made it clear, "ganvillage_green" 67 years old MASTER(SHIFU), "Sucks at Honing", and is a machine.

Two ZY razors, ready for honing. Not shave ready yet.
    P7051056.JPG

ninjack, gssixgun, BeShaved and 3 others like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree that if one isnt familiar with the seller—and the price seems incredibly low—odds are against the razor arriving in 'shave-ready' condition.

Whenever I attempted to sell a razor via ebay, I often use to debate whether to include the designation 'Shave-ready' in the title or product description due to the negative experiences or disappointment so many buyers have had when purchasing a shave-ready razor off ebay. Experience has shown me, however, that auctions where I included the words 'shave ready' in the title get significantly more traffic (i.e. views by potential buyers). I have shaved with ALL the razors I sell on ebay so feel confident in labeling them truly 'shave-ready.' No negative feedback after numerous sales...so far. :D

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I bought a ZY that was honed by he master and it was not shave ready. If you have honing skills then you should be fine.

A cheap alternative for us non-conus people is Whipped Dog. You get a sight unseen razor and very reasonable shipping.

BeShaved, mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

In my opinion, the only "cheap" straight razor worth buying is a vintage one or possibly a gold dollar. I would concur that in most cases you would have to have them honed, however, even if they are listed as shave ready.

BeShaved, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

my experiences with ganvillage_green have been good. However, I've not bought a straight from him, and with the selection I have at home, I have no need to get one. So just because you get what he sells you doesn't mean that their condition is perfect. It just means that if you buy an adjustable, you won't get a Hong Long clone :)

13. DaltonGang

I have nothing bad to say about him(Granville_green), because I don't expect anyone's razors to be shave ready, when they advertise it so, and I'm not disappointed. His prices are good, and the ZY razors are supposed to hone up well, easier than the Gold Dollars.

That said, I would trust @HolyRollah , when he says his razors are "Shave Ready, along with a few others around here.

BeShaved, mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Scott..Those ZY Razors Like Current Dovos Excel with a Synthetic Finisher for Some Reason..:angelic007:

15. DaltonGang

Well, my finisher selections are limited. Welsh Slate Stones, and a Surgical Black Arkie.

Billyfergie likes this.
  16. Billyfergie

1 Micron Lapping Film = 16 k..Cheap as Chips..Right Up You're Street at the Price..:rofl:
    :scared003:

Keithmax and EnglishChannel like this.
  17. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know anything about the ZY razors. Don't know anything about the vendor either.

This is the cheapest straight razor that I own. GOLD DOLLAR 100. Bought it direct from China years ago.
    Gold_Dollar100.jpg
    It was CHEAP, but came "almost" shave ready out of the package & the geometry is good.
    A friend of mine eventually honed it up for me. Great improvement in the shave.

It is a regular in my rotation and is a smooth shaver.
    I don't own any vintage SR's. This one works great for me. YMMV

18. DaltonGang

I just shaved with a Gold Dollar 300. I honed it and it shaved just as well as some of my high end razors. Excellent steel.
    P7051058.JPG

19. BeShaved

Thank you all for the inputs.
    I am thinking about getting 1-2 SRs so I can have a rotation. I only have 1 SR now.

Sometimes, limited options can really limit you. :D
    The cost of a good SR can really damage my wallet.
    My city's monthly minimum wage is around USD220. (one of the highest in the nation)
    That's why if I have to get a $100-ish SR, I have to save for several months.

Maybe I should start learning to become a master honer. :D
    And... the whetstones are expensive, too.

Oh.. my.. who did put me in this beautiful sinking hole?

EnglishChannel, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  20. BeShaved

Since everyone is recommending Larry (whipped dog)....

I ordered one Sight Unseen Flawed Razor from whipped dog upon seeing the price and the shipping fee. :D
    Flawed but still works. Well, I can live with that.