SoS: October 27, 2014 - November 2, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Mediocre Monday
    Not such a great shave today. I had two days growth and I was looking forward to the Vorschlaghammer smoothly cutting through. Not so. My neck is irritated I think because I went too fast and did not build good enough lather. Oh well it will feel better soon and I'll be more mindful tomorrow.

Prep: Proraso Green pre barba
    Soap: B&M Dickens
    Brush: HIS
    Razor: Der Vorschlaghammer
    Blade: Personna lab blue (1)
    AS: Shea Moisture Elixir, Krampert's Finest Frostbite
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414414898.041335.jpg

LifesShort, ObiDon, TSimons and 19 others like this.
  2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Razor: Supermax SII (Trac II Clone)
    Blade: Personna Twin Pivot Plus
    Brush: Muhle STF V2
    Lather: Dr. Dittmar

Good but unspectacular shave.

[​IMG]

LifesShort, TSimons, dscaver and 20 others like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Monday:
    hot shower w/London Eucalyptus Aloe bar soap
    Maggard Eucalyptus PSO
    Gillette Contract Tech 2 passes
    Feather Hi Stainless Platinum (2)
    VDH boar
    Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol soap in a warm bowl
    Thayers unscented w/aloe
    Florida Water cologne

Leisurely Monday shave and now outside to do some projects
    Have a great week, fellow shavers!

LifesShort, ObiDon, TSimons and 20 others like this.
  4. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Menthol Monday
    hot shower
    Rudy Vey Sambar Antler,Shavemac Flat-Top,2 band,d01 knot
    Proraso PPB :love055::love055: :smiley freezing::smiley freezing:
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint :love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Rhodium Plated Red Tip/Gillette 7 o'clock Green Permasharp (1)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Tend Skin
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH:love055::love055::angry021::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Kramperts Finest Frostbite mixed with a pea sized amount of 444:love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

Very smooth and frosty start to the week,face and dome BBS!

Stay frosty,my friends! :cool:

LifesShort, ObiDon, TSimons and 19 others like this.
  5. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

SOTD

Menthol Monday

Been to busy to post my SOTDs :( Great shave today. 2 pass DFS with touch ups. RRKS is still treating me very well. I've been using it for every shave this month. Not a single nick it weeper. No signs of irritation ever. This razor is really an excellent marriage of efficacy and mildness.

Pre - CWS

Soap - Proraso white

Brush - WD Silvertip 24x48

Razor - RRKS

Blade - Rapira PL

AS - Old school Proraso Green

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414419013.342381.jpg

LifesShort, ObiDon, TSimons and 22 others like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

S.O.T.D. ~ Menthol Monday, October 27, 2014

Prep: Warm/Cold Shower, Neutrogena Face Wash:Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Razor: 1949 Gillette Super Speed
    Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
    Brush: Whipped Dog Boar (30mmX65mm)
    Lather: Proraso Green with extra menthol :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Post: Crystal Alum Stick, Menthol Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Toner with Menthol :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Aftershave: Proraso Green Menthol Balm :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Cologne: Pino Silvestre

Have a great week. :happy088:

LifesShort, TSimons, dscaver and 21 others like this.
  7. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Gillette Fatboy
    Personna Med. Prep.
    Simpson P8
    B&M - Arctique
    Fine - Snake Bite

Tom Ford - Japon Noir

LifesShort, TSimons, dscaver and 22 others like this.
  8. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Pre-shave: Shave Secret Oil
    Soap: Proraso Red
    Brush: Plisson L'Occitane
    Razor: Gillette Tech (Fat Handle)
    Blade: Voskhod
    Post-shave: Alum stick
    Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Vanilla
    2014-10-27SoD.jpg
    I was pleasantly surprised with the shave I got from the Tech. I had a better shave using the same Voskhod blade I used yesterday with the Fatboy set on 8. Maybe I'll try the Fatboy on 9 tomorrow with that blade.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    LifesShort, TSimons, dscaver and 23 others like this.
  9. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

[​IMG]
    Monday Morning Shave
    Razor:
    Edwin Jagger DE8911
    Blade: ZAZA (2)
    Brush: Isana Men Pure Badger
    Cream: Derby
    AS: Brut Alaska
    EDT: Brut Alaska

It was a good BBS, but I had few irritations on my cheeks.

LifesShort, TSimons, dscaver and 21 others like this.
  10. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Monday 10-27-2014

6/8 Henchels Early 401, Full Hollow, Spike Point
    Noxema Classic Clean
    TOBS SC - St. James
    Georgetown Scuttle
    Parker Badger
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Gold Bond Body Lotion
    British Sterling

Back from the coast and the first shave I have had since Friday! I look like a Australian Bushman so todays shave required a keen edge. The Henchels stepped up to the job and made me look civilized again. I have been using the TOBS a lot lately as I am trying to use it up. Those tubs last a long time and this one is at least 4-5 years old. My Fall Ceremonial was a great success and my Wife's Project reached it's goal so, that means I will have my beard shaved off by one of the Ladies from the Ladies Oriental Shrine with a straight razor in front of everyone at our Shrine Center. I must have been out of my mind when I made this offer! :scared011: Pray for me as I never thought I'd have a women put a straight razor to my neck and cheeks and live to talk about it! :shocked003: She is a certified Barber and has been practicing working as a barber for 25 years. It's all for a good cause and I will be presenting my Wife's First Ladies Project Check to the Northern California Shriners Hospital for Children in Sacramento when I attend the Board of Governors Meeting in a couple of weeks. I still haven't set the date for this shearing event yet as I want the Barber Lady to do some more Practicing! :D

Badger & Blade 1362SM.jpg

LifesShort, fram773, TSimons and 25 others like this.
  11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Razor: Gillette 195 Fat Boy (f1) 1960 (5)
    Brush: Old Spice 1985 Cobalt Blue Boar
    Mug: Old Spice (early glass Mug 01) 1947 first glass mug Birth Year
    Cream: Cella
    Blade: Feather (1)
    Post shave: Thayers Cucumber WH, Jack Black balm, OS Shulton Lantern 1973-75
    image.jpg
    Whipped up the Cella with no problem with the OS Boar. The Boar is stiff with a lot of backbone which is great making lather but it feels like I'm using a broom on my face. The tips are softer than I anticipated, but not as nice as my VDH Badger, which I would put at the bottom of the list of my Badgers. Actually if it weren't for the fact that it is an Old Spice cobalt blue brush I would have never picket it up. I'm Just an OS junkie. Sticking with my FB to work on my technique and except you that ok shave with the Super-Max the other day, I am getting better especially on my main trouble area on the right side of my neck. I find that at the right angle I can buff that area a few times lightly and get closer with only a little burn. No touch up needed today with my Braun. The WH felt good, followed after it dried with some Jack and after cleanup some of that great OS. Go vote everyone!

12. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Monday

Prep: wash with CeraVe cleanser
    Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies "Scentsless"
    Brush: Omega S10049 "synthetic boar"
    Razor: Feather AS-D2
    Blade: Personna med prep
    After: Cold rinse, CeraVe lotion

After several uses, the Omega "synthetic boar" has broken in a bit. It's not as scratchy as the first time I tried it. Today it felt similar to what I would expect from a boar brush.

In my experience with synthetic brushes, after several uses the fibers begin to splay outward more and seem to soften a little in use. With this brush, as with others, I hastened the process along by soaking the brush in very hot tap water for a few minutes, then vigorously smashed the knot down and around in the mug of hot water. I shook it out, let it dry, then later I came back and repeated the process a few more times.

The fibers in this "synthetic boar" do not look thicker than other modern synthetics, but they are stiffer. The brush tips feels soft to the touch, but the brush has noticeable backbone. Face lathering, it takes some pressure to splay the fibers out, and there is a little scratchiness when doing circular lathering motions. Not an unpleasant amount, though, and similar to the feel of a boar.

At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep this brush, but I am coming to appreciate it as a different flavor from my other synthetics that are softer. This brush is quite a bargain at 7.99 USD plus shipping from Straight Razor Designs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ObiDon

You sir are a saint. St. Bruce :smiley respect:

LifesShort, ram57, crackstar and 4 others like this.
  14. ObiDon

Gotta love the Old Spice! How good is the Old Spice cream? Slickness and cushion.

Slow Joe, Troy M, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Te Amo will wake you up! Ever try Onyx? it's in a similar maduro vein.

Slow Joe, Llyr, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:happy096:

LifesShort, Llyr, ram57 and 3 others like this.
  17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Monday

[​IMG]

Bulldog Men Sensitive face wash
    Gillette Guard cartridge system (2)
    Omega 10077 blue handle boar brush
    Proraso Green SS
    3 passes WTG/XTG/ATG + touch-up
    Homemade lotion bar of shea butter

Aside from the face wash, this is my goto travel kit. Soap just arrived today, it's a perfect size (the small 75ml) and scent/performance mix.
    Soap bowl fits right into my travel stainless steel lather bowl. Can't ask for more :)

Shave went pretty good, but good jolly I dislike cartridges. I must say though, that one blade is better than the multiple ones.
    One small nick, no irritation and very much DFS++.
    ATG was not as smooth as with DE, so I think for travel times I'll just do WTG+XTG for a solid DFS.
    For a cheap India-marketed razor like the Guard I'm very impressed.

I actually had decided to use my Weber and my new MWF puck, but for the love of god I can't lather it.
    Same troubles as with DR Harris - I can't get enough product on my brush and end up with airy thin lather.
    I'm beginning to feel shave-life is too short for stuff that wont work well, when there's so much else in the drawer that performs 110%.

Shave on! Have a nice on :)

18. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Nice kit =) didnt think I would see you use a cartridge razor =P

Watch the video by shavebusta lathering MWF. I tried a couple of different ways to lather it, the method he used in the video worked really well. Sometimes its a bit dry =P but you just add a bit more water =)

Slow Joe, vwp528, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  19. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    SOTD - Menthol Monday, October 27, 2014

Shower
    Prep: Peppermint PSO
    Brush: Plisson/ L'Occitane synthetic
    Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Razor: Weber PH
    Blade: Astra SP (1)
    Aftershave: TSD Iced SubZero splash

- Don

20. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

If after 25 years she hasn't figured it out, a few more weeks won't make any difference.
    Hopefully she'll take most of it off with clippers before going to the razor.

Anywho... the sooner it's off, the sooner it'll grow back.
    Good show, sir.

vwp528, Llyr, ram57 and 2 others like this.