Which is best for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dangermouse, Feb 24, 2017.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

A wedge type blade or a hollow ground, and therefore much thinner, blade? I'm guessing that the wedge might hold a sharp edge for longer. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For me, a wedge is trickier to obtain a comfortable shave angle on. Also, a Hollow grind is easier to get a consistently sharp edge on.

Jayaruh, Carbide Mike, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Have been giving the exact same recommendation for many years

6/8 Roundnose half hollow

Why ???

It is the middle size so you can then decide to go larger or smaller on your second razor
    Roundnose gives the illusion of safety, and might save a nick or two
    Half Hollow, again the middle grind so you can go heavier or lighter next razor
    The 6/8 size razor have a slightly larger and heavier heft and tang then the next size smaller and a lighter and smaller tang and lighter heft then the next size larger they are a size unto themselves
    The slightly larger size helps keep them flat on the strops which is an issue for newbs
    The slightly larger size helps keep the flat on the hones if you decide to
    The size and heft help with those tentative first shaving attempts
    The slightly stiffer grind helps with those first shaving attempts

Of course it is your face and you know best but you did ask :)

edge longevity -

It is the steel / HT not the grind that determines longevity if you eliminate the honing aspect of course

The stiffer grinds were often stamped "For Heavy Beards" (etc) which led to the assumption that the edges lasted longer or were tougher.. But the stiffer grind helped to "Plow" through a heavier beard because of heft and the lesser blade flex...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. dangermouse

I did indeed ask. Thank you very much for taking time to give such a good reply. Could you please explain what you mean by 'stiffer grind'; I don't quite understand. That's a lot of information to ponder but it's made me think twice about buying a beautifully restored Puma/Dubl Duck razor that is only 9/16 or 4.5/8. Mmmmm.

Billyfergie, Drygulch, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    A Full Hollow or Double Hollow Grind razor will flex as the steel is VERY thin, makes for a nice comfortable CLOSE shave once you know how to use it and assuming it works with your beard ..
    Where the Half Hollow is a stiffer (thicker steel) blade, so there is less flex, making it a little easier for a new shaver to just Plow through the beard without needing as much "Finesse" At the same time it is not the big heavy feel of a Near Wedge that can be a little hard for a new shaver to maneuver...

ie: The Goldielocks Razor :p

6. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I would start with a 5/8 Full Hollow Blade . It will give you great audible feed back and will be slightly easier to manage while you are learning your technique . The key is to get a truly shave ready blade that has been honed properly.

7. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I would listen to the guys above. I didn't seek advice and went for a Kamisori style and a box of Band-Aids and styptic pencils. ! :)

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My first SR was a vintage Boker, 5/8" full-hollow grind with a square tip.
    I think Glen's advice on the razor type is spot-on for newcomers to the SR realm. I wish I had that information at the time I was shopping for my first. This would've saved me considerable time in the learning curve and far less blood-letting. ;):D

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Glenn summed it up perfectly.
    I also started with the same type of razor. I have to learn everything the hard way.
    For $120 you can get a brand new Dovo Astrale 5/8 half hollow, round point. Hind sight being 20-20; I would have gone that route.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like a lot of wisdom here. @Drygulch wooed me over to the darkside with his Darkside Loaner Kit. I now have a H. Böker 5/8 straight that I just had restored by @HolyRollah . I did my first shave with it today and did a great job. It is marked Extra Hollow Ground. You can see it >>>here.<<<

11. dangermouse

I did try a straight which was kindly loaned to me by Dean, who's username momentarily escapes me. It was a 5/8 and I did like it's size. I like a long finger rest. Sorry guys, I can't think of it's correct name; I'm struggling a bit today. I didn't like the round tip so much; I found it very hard to shave under my nose and thought a point might make it easier to come in from the side. Basically, it seems I'm looking for a 6/8 half hollow. Easy. I think I might have good taste. All the razors that I think, 'Ooh, that's lovely' are really expensive.

12. dangermouse

Thanks for the comments, chaps. Do you know that feeling, when you get really good advice and despite your best intentions, you end up ignoring it? Yeah, well that happened. I wanted a razor and a small touch up stone.

The only near 6/8 half hollow I found, that was shave ready and that I might be able to afford was actually a beautiful 13/16 half hollow, half price at $148 from www.therestoredrazor.com They had some really nice vintage straight razors too, all at a huge reduction.

In the end though I purchased (today) a mint condition, shave ready, 5/8 JA Henckels #78 hollow ground razor from Matt www.griffithshavinggoods.com for only $84! That is a great price. They too, have some stunning razors and the prices are great. I also got a Vermio finishing stone for $69 on Matt's recommendation. I couldn't afford a strop yet.

So, in a few weeks, when it arrives in the UK (I might have a strop by then) my new adventure into straight shaving will begin again. In the meantime here's a picture of my new acquisition.
    image.jpeg

BigMike, Jim99, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:happy096:Henckels are Great Razors..Some Take a Crazy Sharp Edge Mind..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, dangermouse and Spyder like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Very nice razor! Be very wary of the tip on that. My black Jack still bites me on occasion.

Karl G, Billyfergie and dangermouse like this.
  15. dangermouse

It has been very kindly been muted for me (phew). I think I watched your first straight razor shave (yesterday) with Jon Romanov. Nicely done.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You will need a strop, before you will need a finishing stone. You might use the stone every 15-20 shaves, being new to this. You will need the strop before and after EVERY shave.

dangermouse, mrchick, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What do you guys recommend as a finisher for that guy who just wants to keep them topped up while he decides how far into this he wants to go?

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I recommend a barbers hone. They're relatively inexpensive, simple to use, and pretty effective to keep a razor sharp.

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011:

I also recommend 1/2 hollow or thicker grind but not a wedge. Since you already a razor you will need a second, there are allot of excuses for the second razor, you need to let the edge rest, you will need a back while one razor is honed etc..

Round points and heels are also recommended, one less this to worry about cutting you.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Welcome to the dark side :happy093:

Spyder, Vlasta, dangermouse and 3 others like this.