March 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Feb 28, 2017.

?

Rule or Focus this month?

1. Rule! It's all about solid technique!

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Focus on soaps/creams

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Focus on blades

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Focus on a razor or razors

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. Focus on brushes

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Cleaning house baby - stuff's gonna PIF!

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Shenanigans

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. Focus? On cookies!

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Adam,
    I am like 3 people away from the Soap Pass around Box 2.

If you want to send it to me, I can make sure to include it in the box. I think it would get the most exposure that way. just an option. Otherwise, one of the other's could add it for you in front of me if they are willing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I might still have a bit of Cypress if you'd like to give it a spin ;)

Great idea for giving more folks a chance to try a product from a Supporting Vendor. The soaps from Vendors are marked" Samples Only - not for trade" to make sure everyone gets a sample for as long as they last. Down side of The Pass Around is it's ever changing nature. Some interesting products have been added since it came my way. Being a coffee drinker I'd be interested. I think it's up to over 15 pounds.

3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

If I wasn't stubborn, then I wouldn't be this far. Of course, my face would also not look like I used a cheese grater for a pillow.:)

All in all, I am pretty pleased with where I am in the process. The cuts I am getting are due to a lack of refinement of technique, rather than chasing the BBS and they are shorter and less deep than previous cuts. I also learned that just like a DE, you want "no pressure". Strangely, the areas that were the largest problems in the beginning have now become the easiest areas to shave. For example, the first week or so I couldn't get a good shave on my chin. Now, I do my chin in 3 directions without any problem and it is usually the cleanest part of my face. Best of all, I enjoy shaving with a straight more than with a DE.

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

RyX
    Would it be possible to mark this soap the same way (Samples Only - Not For Trade) if Adam so desires? Since nothing will come out, it would help guarantee its exposure .

I leave it to Adam how he wishes it to be treated.

Screwtape, mrchick, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I can add the marking, and get it out to @Fly2High to be included in the pass around. I do want more people to try it, and hopefully want to get their own.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

March of the Soaps Focus

Chiseled Face GTB, Omega #98
    Weck Bantam & Personna blade
    '59 Gillette #195, Feather blade
    Alum block, English Leather AS

SOTD 03222017.gif
    From The Pass Around, a great performance from a tallow soap. Described as "a classic barbershop scent with a western twist – main notes being bergamot,basil leaf, white patchouli, oakmoss, Texas cedar, leather, smoke, and gunpowder." A soft soap, I wet my face and rubbed the sample on two days stubble. Moistened boar bristles brought up a creamy lather with good staying power& a rich scent. WTG pass using my little shavette holding a 57mm long blade followed by recycling the lather into the suribachi bowl. A dribble of water brought up more glossy lather from the soap hidden in the knot. ATG, XTG, & clean ups with the Fat Boy left me error free, moisturized, and near BBS. Alum swiped quiet as it gets, and the restrictor on the AS bottle gave me a big handful of juice from the new bottle.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I pretty sure Perry @PLAla will be pleased! :eatdrink047:

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jason!

9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That would be cool!

11. Norcalnewb

That would be one brush purchase I would make.

12. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Jason! Sounds like a fun trip coming up with your family.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have gone through the same stages. I never thought I would master the ATG pass on my neck, but practiced until I could. The funny thing is that I rarely need that pass to get a great shave. I enjoy this much more than DE shaving.
    Thanks for your great posts.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Me too!

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Nice pic, Mister. It's always cool to try new stuff.

16. PickledNorthern

17. PickledNorthern

Those synthetics are lather monsters, Paul. They may not be my favorite brushes to use overall, but I cannot deny their fantastic performance.

Paul Turner, clint64, RyX and 4 others like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

Have a great trip!

19. PickledNorthern

I like the obnoxious orange.

clint64, RyX, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Not enough for a unicorn. :(

clint64, RyX, Douglas Carey and 3 others like this.