The Adulterated Barbasol Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 27, 2017.

1. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Shave #24 11.11.2017
    Pre-shave: Hot Shower
    Shave Cream + Soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Williams Mug Shaving Soap
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/page-3
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf
    Blade: Gem Blue Star (4th or 5th use)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Neutrogena Sensitive Skin PS Balm, Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne

Very pleasant shave this day. I'm continuing with the head shave only.

I really like this Barbasol + Williams mix so I did again. Travel can of Barbasol is still going strong!

God bless our active duty serviceman and woman, and our veterans!
    IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1637.JPG

AGHisBBS, Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  2. sdguero

Shave #25 11.13.2017
    Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: Hot shower
    Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush (not pictured)
    Shave Cream x2: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Cremo Cooling Shave Cream
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: VDH TTO razor
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (2)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Cooling PS Balm, Skin Bracer by Mennen

This little travel can is on Shave #25 and it's still going! I continued to use only a single golf-ball sized dollop from this can to determine how many face shaves are possible with it. Since I'm not face shaving in November, and I'm doing only the occasional head shave, I need more shave cream than the amount for a face shave so I'm reinforcing the Barbasol with other products. It's been fun. Barbasol plays well with other shaving soaps and creams.

Today I returned to my "roots," i.e. the razor which started me on this path of wet-shaving. It was like going home! I hope everyone else's shaves are as good.
    IMG_1653.JPG

3. sdguero

Shave #27 11.18.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Shave Cream + Soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Tabac soap http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...el-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/page-3
    Razor: Merkur 34c
    Blade: Derby (I've no idea how many shaves this one has had)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Skin PS Balm, Stetson Cooling Moisture AS, Stetson Original Cologne

I sensed a disturbance in the Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can Force this day. As I carefully dispensed the creamy, rich lather from its tiny travel sized nozzle, I heard it spit out a bit of air and expel two small air bubbles with the golf-ball sized dollop. Hmmmm.... I'm hoping to get at least 30 shaves out of this can. I like even numbers, but whatever happens, happens.

Today, I augmented the Barbasol with Tabac. Neither product needs the assistance of the other one, but because I'm doing head shaves and I need more lather than the single golf-ball sized d0llop called for in my experiment I'm augmenting, adding to, molesting, adulterating (or whatever you want to call it) the Barbasol with something -else. In this case I loaded up the brush with Tabac and bowl-lathered. Then I dispensed the dollop of Barbasol to the brush and whipped it up with the Tabac in the bowl. I added a photo of the lather to this post. The combined lather was wonderful. It was smooth, protective, and creamy. The scent of Tabac dominated.

I don't remember the last time I used the Merkur 34c (one of my early favorites) so I pulled it out to use. Still had a blade in it from last time. I don't usually leave blades in the razor but I did, and I used it. The blade, the razor and the lather all worked great! Achieved a DFS. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1685.JPG

AGHisBBS and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! :signs131:
    YOU TAINTED THE TABAC!!!!! :sad023:
    SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!! :sad024:

sdguero likes this.
  5. sdguero

Yes, I did. :angelic007:

And I LIKED IT! :taunt002:

All in the interest of Wet-Shaving Science. :)

AGHisBBS and swarden43 like this.
  6. sdguero

Shave #28 11.20.2017
    Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
    Shave creams: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can + CO Bigelow Premium Shave Cream
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...el-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/page-3
    Razor: Schick Krona
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (4)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Skin Cooling PS Balm, Skin Bracer

Today's shave was the last shave for this travel size can of Barbasol Sensitive Skin. I had bowl-whipped lather from the CO Bigelow and then I picked up the Barbasol can and pushed the button.... as soon as I did so it spit, and sputtered but it dispensed nearly a golf ball-sized or a little less of somewhat liquefied lather. Then it stopped, and I mean stopped. I pressed down more on the button but it was finished. The Barbasol travel size can declared, "No more, 28 shaves is all you get from me."

So what have we learned? First of all, when I started this experiment in the middle of October, I was certain that I would be done by the 1st of November. After all, I'm using a travel can... with 2 oz. (57 g) of product. I frequently use travel sized deodorant, toothpaste, and mouthwash, and you all probably know that they do not last more than a few days, and I'm talking no more than a week. I decided I would shave everyday in October to get this done. I was still doing face shaves and every few days I'd shave my head, but I only used the Barbasol for my face shaves and something else for my head shaves. My goal was to use only a golf ball sized dollop from the Barbasol can which meant I had enough for 2 complete passes and some touch-ups. By the time November 1st arrived, I was already finished with Shave #17. Think of it... 17 shaves, or 17 days. A golf ball sized dollop for each shave... from this little can. And it wasn't finished yet.

November arrived, and I had to change my tactics. I promised my wife months ago I wouldn't face shave in November. But I do head shaves every few days. I wanted to continue with that single dollop as if I were face shaving to try and be as consistent in product use as I could. Unlike my face shaves, I knew that a single golf ball sized dollop of Barbasol would not be enough to do more than 1 comfortable and protective pass for the head, so I would have to combine it with something else. I had other Barbasol flavors and I augmented the single dollop from the travel can with that... or I combined it with another product, either a soap puck or a shave cream and I got amazing results.

So in answer to the previous question... what have we learned?

1. The Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can is packed full of lather which should last about a month's worth of shaves, depending upon the amount you use.
    2. Interestedly, I also have a travel size can of Barbasol Original which is 2.25 oz (64 g) of product. I suppose the extra 1/4 oz would provide about 4 to 5 additional shaves. I've no idea how much I've used this can previously so it wasn't part of this experiment. I knew the Sensitive Skin was brand new and when I first used it.
    3. Whether you like "canned goo" or not, Barbasol really does offer a shave cream which is comfortable, cushiony, protective, and feels good on the skin. As a side note, I like Sandalwood scents, and the Sensitive Skin has a mild Sandalwood scent, ergo, I like it.
    4. If you need a quick option for shaving because you don't have time to whip up a lather and subsequent clean-up, Barbasol is a worthy choice.
    5. Finally, and most importantly for this thread, Barbasol blends well with other shave soaps and creams.

Of course, neither the CO Bigelow nor the Barbasol need help from the other... but when you like to mix things up for the fun of it and when you need the extra lather they blend well as you can see here.... Well, the Barbasol today needed some help, it had reached its final, runny, liquefied end.

IMG_1690.JPG

And this is what I had left after completing 2 complete passes on my head shave... and multiple touch-ups in various spots. After 2 passes I found that I had to add moisture to the brush or the lather because it started to thicken and dry.
    IMG_1691.JPG
    Excellent shave today. I'm very tempted to start shaving my face again because the whiskers are driving me crazy, but I promised my bride I wouldn't (face) shave this month. The things we do for love, right? :angelic013:

Have a great week, everyone! And Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

Ijustmissedthe50s and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

What a fun read...all your travel can shaves has been! 28! Go Barbasol! You'll be ready for a face shave after November I'd bet. Thanks for an entertaining and well done chronicle of the travel can. I now know that if I'm ever out of every other kind of soap or cream for a February, a travel can of Barbasol will get me through it.

sdguero and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. sdguero

Thank you, sir. Glad you enjoyed it. :eatdrink047:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

SOTD 1/15/2018 BARBASOL to the rescue!
    RAZOR: RAZOR: Matador Toro Mastiff Largo - gold
    BLADE: Dorco Platinum ST-300 - 13th use of this blade - I am NOT superstitious!
    PREP: hot water face wash with Ivory soap
    PRE SHAVE: used bloom water on face
    BRUSH: VDH Boar - from the Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Set - 11th use from new
    SHAVE CREAM: Barbasol Original- applied by hand
    SOAP: Erasmic Shave Stick - this is my 8th go around with this soap - AND I molested the Barbasol
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse followed by application of CRYSTAL deodorant (deodorant stone - potassium alum)
    AFTER SHAVE: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
    BALM: Maison the Collection Vanilla Lavender Lotion
    [​IMG]
    Incredible 2-pass full-on BBS shave. I scrubbed in the Erasmic with my trusty VDH Boar brush. It needed help.
    Bring on the Barbasol - love the scent of original. I really enjoyed this shave! It has been a while since I have used Barby.
    This Matador is a gem. Loved the Erasmic/Barbasol combo - but you can bet it was all the Barbasol.
    VIBR is very compatible with the scent of the Vanilla Lavender Lotion.

AGHisBBS, sdguero and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

When my Alum block gets too small to use, I'm going to replace it with one of these.

sdguero and EnglishChannel like this.
  11. EnglishChannel

The Crystal is readily available in drugstores near me. The price is very good, especially when on sale.
    I have never used an alum block, because I could never find them in a local store. Only online where you pay shipping.

I really like the packaging as well. It is very convenient to use. I recommend the unscented.

sdguero likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

One of the down sides of using a traditional alum block - they can slip out of the hand, and they tend to explode into lots of tiny chunks like tempered glass. Having a push up/ twist handle and a screw on top - Genius!
    I know these are marketed as deodorant. Have you used (a different) one for it's intended purpose?

sdguero likes this.
  13. EnglishChannel

I have used a few different "Crystal deodorant roll-ons" for their intended purpose. I have 2 of these unscented "sticks" reserved for shaving. The package makes them very easy-to-use. They are not slippery at all.

14. EnglishChannel