The Adulterated Barbasol Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Now Im kind of interested in trying mixing Cremo with Barbasol and using a brush. I might have to try that sometime.

CarlfromMO, RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Do it! You won't be disappointed. And don't limit yourself to Cremo + Barbasol. Try soaps....

This is Cremo Sandalwood + Barbasol
    IMG_1464.JPG

This is Williams + Barbasol...
    IMG_1534.JPG

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dollar Tree Chinese foam, which I just tried, is excellent for defogging the inside of the windshield and light spot cleaning of clothing. For shaving it is thinner, airier and dryer than the Barb. Unusual, pleasant scent, though.

4. sdguero

Shave #19 11.2.2017

Head Shave:
    Pre-shave: Hot Shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can + Williams
    Brush: Omega Boar 10049
    Razor: Schick G1
    Blade: Chinese Schick (5)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Afta Fresh AS Skin Conditioner, Aqua Velva AS

As a reminder, I'm not doing face shaves this month, however I am doing head shaves. This travel can is still hard at work providing lather for my daily shaves. I never thought it would go this far even... it's a two ounce can of lather. Travel toothpaste tubes don't last this long. Travel mouthwash doesn't last this long. Travel deodorant doesn't last this long.

In previously shaves, I found that a single golf ball sized dollop of the Barbasol was enough for me to do 2 complete passes for my face shaves, plus some clean-up work. So, acting as if I'm still only having to cover my face shaves, I'm still only using that single dollop. However, I have a big head. At least now, I have more square "footage" to shave compared to my face so yesterday I augmented this travel sized can with a shot from a big can of Barbasol Soothing Aloe. Today... well, some may say, I "molested" the Barbasol. It depends upon one's point of view. In my view... I enhanced the capability of the Barbasol, and yes, I would even say... the quality of my shave. This isn't the first time I've experimented with Barbasol and other shave products, and it won't be the last. I love Barbasol... by itself, but I have discovered it works great with other products, especially those which do not lather up the same. Although Williams lathers up very well, I frequently find I have to "re-brush" the lather on my face because it dissipates quickly. When Williams is mixed with Barbasol... the consistency is grand!

So, I had a great shave, and this travel sized can continues to amaze me!
    IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I did that a few days ago and posted in
    I did that a few days ago and posted on it. Arctic Chill and Creme Cooling. Felt great before, during and after. Our Barbasol plays well with others. 346x0f4.jpg

Bama Samurai, sdguero and RyX like this.
  6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Everyone likes some good ol' redneck ninjeein'.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That guy has a future in acting.

RyX, sdguero and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I remember when it was 50 cents a can. Both it and Colgate were the cheapest at the store at the time, and I bought whichever one was least expensive.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I must try a little molesting of the Barbasol.

Bama Samurai, sdguero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. sdguero

Shave #20, yesterday's shave of the day 11.3.2017 (no shave today)

Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH badger
    Lather / Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can + Cremo Lathering Cream Sandalwood http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Pal injector
    Blade: Chinese Schick (3rd or 4th use I believe)
    Post-shave: Thayer's WH, Afta Original AS Skin Conditioner, Skin Bracer
    Again, this was only a head shave. I opted to enhance the Barbasol with Cremo Lathering Shave Cream (Sandalwood scent). The Cremo, if you work it, will turn into a respectable lather. When I added a golf ball sized dollop of the Barbasol it because a slick, yogurt-like lather which felt good on the scalp. It felt cool, hydrating, and the sharp blade slid over the skin like skis on the slope. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Here's the Cremo Lathering Shave Cream only...
    IMG_1588.JPG

Here's the Barbasol and Cremo added together...
    IMG_1591.JPG

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 11062017 Nacet.gif
    Double dose of Cooling cream. These two scents work well together.

12. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

346x0f4.jpg
    I loved my combo of the same when I tried it!

Bama Samurai, sdguero and RyX like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I gotta try that.

Bama Samurai, RyX and sdguero like this.
  14. sdguero

Let us know how it goes. I don't think you'll be disappointed! :cool:

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  15. sdguero

Shave #21 11.6.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Shave Cream + Soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Scalpmaster Shaving Soap
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...el-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/page-2
    Brush: Cremo (by Vie-Long) horse hair
    Razor: Schick E3
    Blade: Schick (1)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (from Dollar Tree), Nivea Men's Crème, Brut AS

This is Shave #21 for this travel size can of Barbasol, i.e. 21 days or three weeks of shaving so far on this 20 oz can of Barbasol. And still no sign, other than lighter in weight, that it's about to throw in the towel. Today, I combined a golf ball sized dollop of Barbasol with Scalpmaster shaving soap which I got from Sally's Beauty Supply. This soap by itself is so-so at best, but with the help of Barbasol the combined lather was terrific! The witch hazel was the first time out. I saw it at Dollar Tree and it's quite nice. Not bad for $1 and it's a nice 6 oz bottle.

Have a great week, my friends!

Scalpmaster Soap only...
    IMG_1601.JPG

Scalpmaster combined with Barbasol...
    IMG_1602.JPG

This was a very nice, protective lather...
    IMG_1603.JPG

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's another good looking lather.

I recall Target was to be stocking these brushes. What's your opinion?

Horse hair is kind of floppy from what I've experienced. I haven't tried a brush knot made from it. In my To Do projects I have a bunch of tail hair harvested from 4 different horses, and a small quantity of mane hair. My research hasn't given up the info on what to use to stick it all together. May attempt an experiment this winter with epoxy, JB Weld, superglue, Bondo...

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and sdguero like this.
  17. sdguero

I did get this brush at Target which in recent months has been carrying more and more wet-shaving products. I think the price at Target for this brush was in the neighborhood of $23.00. I've not owned or tried a horse hair brush until today and DaltonGang asked me my impression of this Cremo by Vie-Long due to his experience with floppy horse hair brushes in the Shave of the Day Thread. This was my response:

Well, understand the extend of my knowledge and experience with horse hair brushes is today's use of this Cremo brush. I've never owned, nor used a horse hair brush before. The brush was functional, and I liked it, but it's floppy. I don't know if it's "very floppy," as in your experience. That said, I liked the brush, but it's soft and I'll probably use it with creams more often than hard soaps.

How's that for an indirect, bureaucratic response? :)

Dan

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good answer! I started my wet shave journey using new Omega boar brushes. That biased my opinion toward what a brush should feel like. Stiff, scritchy, skin exfoliating, hard soap puck chewing goodness. A couple of my first badgers, Vulfix brand, just aren't dense enough to compare to a new boar bristle brush. Later badgers are better packed, but I use them with creams for that same reason - floppy.

If/when I get around to fabricating a horse hair knot I'll go for dense and not too high loft.

sdguero and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is the place!

AGHisBBS, sdguero and RyX like this.
  20. sdguero

Shave #22 11.8.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Shave cream + soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Proraso Red
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/
    Brush: Omega Boar 10049
    Razor: Schick E3
    Blade: Schick (2)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (from Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Proraso Sandalwood AS

This is Shave #22 for this travel size can of Barbasol. Today I combined a single, golf ball sized dollop of the Barbasol with the Proraso Red and the resulting lather was exceptional. While I've used Proraso many times, it often times dries out on me especially during my head shaves when I'm going slowly and carefully. However, today that didn't happen. The Barbasol cream has a Sandalwood scent, but the Proraso scent dominated. I managed a very close, comfortable shave and I wish the same or better for all of you.
    Barbasol and Proraso lather....
    IMG_1616.JPG

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.