Why don't more modern razor manufacturers make razors with wider heads?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shotwell, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Was thinking about this as I wrote a post over in the head shaving sub-forum: Why don't more modern razor manufacturers create heads that are long enough to cover the end tabs on modern blades?

The Standard Razor is the only razor I have ever found where the ends of the razor blade do not stick out. I used to nick my ears fairly often when I was first learning because the end of the blade caught it as I shaved above/behind my ear. But with the Standard Razor I don't even have to think about that.

Not sure why other modern razor manufacturers don't take the same approach to head design. It seems like a small design tweak that has a very pronounced effect on the shave.. (I get it that vintage razors had heads that were smaller... The old style blade with three holes and rounded ends isn't as long as the newer DE blades.)

I've got several modern razors: a RazoRock Mission, a couple of Maggards, several different Merkurs, an EJ89, a Utopia, a Lord, a Phoenix, a couple of Chinese-made cheapo razors, and a Matador. All of them have heads where modern blades stick out at the ends. The only one I've tried that doesn't have this design flaw -- because really, it's a design flaw in my opinion, since almost all DE blades are the same size and shape now -- is the Standard Razor.

Anyone know of any other razors that have the wider (longer?) head, that doesn't allow the blade tabs to stick out?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The head of the Merkur Futur covers the ends of the blade.
    As does the Stahly, but that's vintage, not modern.

Shotwell likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Shavecraft 101, 102

Shotwell likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

muhle r41 covered pretty good
    so is fatip Grande

Shotwell likes this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I think at least one answer is quality control / tolerances. It's difficult to make a razor with specifications exact enough to hold the blade perfectly straight, every single time, in every single razor. Rather than try, vendors like Merkur, and the budget brands like Maggard, Cadet, etc. leave a little room on the ends so you can grip the ends of the blade as you tighten to keep it straight.

trey06dmd likes this.
  6. Shotwell

That's an interesting theory, at least! :)

7. Shotwell

I also stand slightly corrected. -- my Barbasol Floating Head also covers the full blade. Though it's vintage, not modern.

8. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

It's a good point. I thought I was the only one doing the ear thing! But, as you point out, it's another reason to love my Standard razor!
    :bounce015:

Shotwell likes this.
  9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I can confirm that this is not just theory, but design intent. Joe at Italian Barber expressly stated the use of tabs for micro-adjusting their recently released (and immediately sold out - dang it!) RR Stealth Slant in brushed stainless >here<.

It is not really difficult to achieve the tolerances for fixing the blade in place. However, it adds to machining time, which translates to cost. The tighter fit tolerances also increase the possibility of a given blade not fitting your razor. Anyone care to guess the industry standard tolerance on the blades slot? I'm no betting man, but I'd put my money on "not super tight."

Funny thing is this very issue is dear to me. I hope the as-yet-still-theoretical DE2SE** will cover the tabs.

** I've been nagging my guy for his quote. He says it has been done, but keeps forgetting to send it. He sure sounded embarrassed when I called him this week. <sigh> I'll see it soon... I think. :signs131:.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

How is the shave with your Standard Razor? From the pic and info on the site the handle diameter looks good(kind of bulldogish), but it looks to smooth(no knurling) and to light (all aluminum). Do you know how long the handle is?:)

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Personally I like that I have exposed tabs, as it lets me make sure the blade is equally exposed on both sides.

12. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

The tabs are covered on all the iKons, I think I read somewhere.

My Standard is my favorite razor, but I find it a little more difficult to get used blades out of it with the tabs not sticking out.

jeraldgordon and Shotwell like this.
  13. swarden43

The Futur head is longer, to cover the ends, not wider so it covers the edge.

14. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Are the standard razors mild?

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've never had a problem nicking my ears. The only razor I have that covers the blade edges is my Wizamet Jr P1 razor. But that was made in Poland during the Eastern Bloc era.

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I use one almost daily and it is mild on the order of an EJ DE87 or 89 or a bit milder than a flair tip Superspeed; one interesting thing to note is that the blade can be tightened fully for very mild or backed off a bit for a bit more aggressiveness. A normal procedure with the old Gillette three pieces, in fact Gillette recommended it back when.

Shotwell likes this.
  17. BigMark

huh ?
    :signs002:

18. swarden43

Maybe I was confused. Are you speaking of the tabs on the end of the blade? How does that ensure the cutting edge is equally exposed?
    The way I read it, you are trying to make sure the blade (cutting edge) is equally exposed on both sides.

If you're speaking of making sure the blade itself is centered on the head of the razor (think of looking at the razor as a "T", the blade being centered left/right), that I can understand.

19. BigMark

Yes Steve. Not just right to left, but most razors have a little play and I want the blade to be properly aligned.. the issue most people have had with terrible razors is that one side has more exposure, what I mean is even in the sense the edge is straight and not more exposed on one side.

20. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

All the iKon heads cover the blade tabs. The Feather AS-D2 does, as well.

This morning I shaved with a razor from the late 20s-early 30s that cleverly covers the blade tabs with the top cap but not the baseplate. It's a Probak open comb razor. Just to point out that the idea of covering the blade tabs is not new.

Shotwell likes this.