1 kg Cella? Go for it!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by mikewood, Sep 23, 2016.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

This is a post that will unashamedly attempt to get you to purchase a 1kg block of Cella.

As you may know I started a new job a few weeks ago. Better bennies, pay and closer to home not to mention a great group of folks and less stress. My present to myself was a big block of cella.

If you have used it you know it's a good soap. So what do you get with the big block other than about a 2 year supply of soap? Everything you get with the smaller tubs that last about a month or two but you never run out! It's a serious commitment and cella is worth it. No little sticks like Arko, not little 4oz tubs or worse yet samples that are gone In a week or two. This behemoth sits like a king in your shave den challenging you to use it up. What I think I like the best is you don't have to scrimp or save it. No managing it to stretch it or trying to make it last. It comes buttery soft and smooth in its foil sheet so slice off a chunk and put it in your favorite tub. Savor the sweet soapy scent and know the shave will be superb time and time again for years to come. Sure, you can cheat on her but she will always be there for you when you need a quality soap that's not too fancy and for me that's most of the time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

At around a buck per ounce I'm considering it.
    It's a long term commitment, but it is a great soap.
    Plus the label would be cool in a frame! ;)
    Cella kilo.jpg

theFAT98, Kokak, DE Cartman and 5 others like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It's not a bad soap, but no way, no how could I get through a kilo of that without it turning rancid. It would mean using it too often in a rotation that already has too many soaps in it.

Can't deny it's a good deal tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kokak, RaZorBurn123, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I couldn't help but feel like I was smuggling when I purchased one.

5. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

I have thought about committing to the kilo of Cella (or possibly Vitos Super Extra Coco) but that would require a few things. First, I would have to use up or get rid of most or all my other soaps, and I have quite a few, to remove temptation. Second, I would have to commit to using said kilo of soap almost every day until it is gone. (I would probably want to keep one or two soaps or creams around to change it up now and again.) Third, I would probably have to commit to not buying any soap until the block is gone to avoid temptation. That is a large commitment and I am afraid of boredom setting which might end up with some of the block sitting for a long time and losing its scent or going bad. So, I don't think that I will be getting a block at this time.

Hmmm... I just thought of something...

It is not going to change my mind (for now), but when someone buys the kilo they should also make sure they have 7 150 gram containers (like the empty TOBS shaving cream containers that Maggard Razors sells for $1.50 each) that have tight sealing lids. That way when the block arrives it can be divided into 6 150 gram blocks and 1 100 gram block then stored in the sealed containers. That would help keep the soap fresher longer.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:

Very good soap, by the way. :)

Kokak and Slow Joe like this.
  7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Too many other great soaps for me to be tied down to a 2 lb. block of anything...

Ksblazer and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

This might be a soap to share with friends, neighbors, the mailman, etc. If it weren't for the high cost of shipping someone might arrange a group buy and split the block.

Kokak, Spyder and dkeester like this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Do we allow group buys on TSD? I know some forums don't.

Let's see... $40 on Amazon with free Prime shipping. If we assume CONUS only, then a USPS small Flat Rate box at $6.80 would be more than sufficient for a generous piece.

Conversely, the 150g bowl is $12 on Amazon also with free Prime shipping.

Hmm... Cost = (6.8n + 40)/n, where 'n' is the number of people splitting the brick.

# of People Cost/Person Chunk Size(g)
    1 $46.80 1000.00
    2 $26.80 500.00
    3 $20.13 333.33
    4 $16.80 250.00
    5 $14.80 200.00
    6 $13.47 166.67
    7 $12.51 142.86
    8 $11.80 125.00
    9 $11.24 111.11
    10 $10.80 100.00

I suppose we could do better by not using Flat Rate shipping, but the numbers don't seem to want to work out all that well with it.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

We have done group buys before. The last one was a Voskhod buy quite a while back.
    Just need a person to spearhead it - get names of buyers, order the soap, divvy it up, ship it out, collect your cash.

RaZorBurn123 and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

It would be $2.83 to ship it first class

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Order the big one and use want you don't need to bake cookies.

Or just give it away to your wet shaving friends.

But that's just me. Mr.High Roller.

RyX likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That would be a big "negatory"...

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

That's a lot of soap, but I like to use different scents.

15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I wouldn't be able to use that much in lifetime. Cella is good stuff, I have a tub and would bet you can get around 100 shaves from it. So a kilo would last four million years approximately if you used it everyday.

wristwatchb, Slow Joe and RyX like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. dkeester

I finished a tub in 72 shaves, so a bit over 2 grams per shave, and I was loading on the heavy side... That would make it around 500 shaves, or so, per kilo of Cella... If I were using it every day at that level of usage I could finish it in around 16 months. However, I am not sure I would want to spend that much time using only one soap.

If you load closer to 1 gram per shave you are looking at using only one soap for 32 months, or so. I am definitely sure I wouldn't want to spend that much time with only one soap.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I do love that N word :)

RyX and Primotenore like this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

62 1/2 years - that's how long it would take me if I was to put it in and maintain my current rotation of approximately 40 soaps.

I'm already 54...

20. dkeester

Yeah, I don't even want to think of how long it would take in any sort of soap rotation. Especially since I already have several years worth of soap in my shave den.