1914 American Druggist shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by maltedmilk, Jul 21, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I was browsing Google Books and thoroughly enjoying the window into our culture of a hundred years ago when I found a recipe for making shaving cream. I made some yesterday and tried it this morning.
    NOTE: Yes, I know that HP soap benefits from additional cure, so this morning's results may not be representative.

There are many shave soap recipes in the American Druggist. Most that I saw are variations on a couple of base recipes, much like you see in soapmaking forums today. The one I chose was from 1914 and included adding glycerine "to suite" to make the results squeeze from a collabsible tube. The magazine even stated that the recipe was a basis from which to experiment... so I did

Lard 40%
    Coconut 32%
    Olive 28%
    sapped with KOH
    5% lye discount, 30% soln strength

(I added no glycerin for round one)

The result was rather interesting! The brush loaded easily, but the lather was wimpy. It went on OK. Not real think, but it felt like something you might build up. However, I was unable to get it to "pile up" on my face. I had an OK coat of lather, but it collapsed to a visible, but anorexically thin coat before I finished one side of my face.

HOWEVER... the glide was exceptional (and this without adding glycerine!). It even left a nice slickness after a pass, so taking touchup strokes as you go is safe with this soap.

The cushion is decent to good. I was a little distracted by managing the wimpy lather and may have been inadvertantly heavy handed. I felt a bit more sting than usual when I applied my AS splash.

AWESOME skin conditioning! The after feel of this soap OUTSTANDING! It took a little effort to rinse, though, but my skin felt very conditioned — at least as much as using a Nivea balm but without that slight plastic coating that it leaves.

Reading American Druggist and making a shave soap from a 100 year old recipe was an intriguing view into history! I can't help but wondering how the soap will mellow on the shelf and also what tweaking the recipe would do (tweak #1 would be to just add glycerine "to suite" — whatever that means!). I also wonder how much our modern concept of "good shave soap" has changed from our great granddads'!

On another note, would anyone like to try this soap? I am thinking a soap pass-around might be fun!

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'd love to try this 100 year old recipe. Pass-around sounds great.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Sounds like a fun experiment.

If you make more, try reducing greatly the olive oil... generally speaking olive oil makes for wimpy lather. Try adding some castor oil instead.

4. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Well, you're in, Mr. 2K! Gonna use it with a 1914 GEM SE?

Actually, since USPS is flat rate, I was thinking about filling the box. In addition to the 1914, I also have the "Ian de Candre" I posted for trade in The Classifieds. Since no one seemed interested enough to trade, maybe a few will be interested enough to try. I think I will have enough room for 3 soaps (all are in Ziploc bowls). If my other experiment from yesterday delivers a good shave, I'll throw it in to complete the trifecta soap pass-around.

NOTE: The third soap is my own recipe. I ran it past my soapmakin' lady mentor. She said it was close to one of her recipes, so I am quite hopeful! (It has a dang lick of castor in it.)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Jayaruh likes this.
  5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Nice work. I had been looking at a few of those American Druggist recipes too but its beyond my skill set.
    Did the consistency turn out like a cream or more of a croap?

6. maltedmilk

Article Team
    I wouldn't call this even a "croap." I think it was a bit hard for that nomenclature, but it is certainly soft! Its hardness is similar to the "Ian de Candre" recipe from B&B.

The recipe I read recommended the druggist to add glycerin to make it "tube squeezable." I suspect this is a fair amount of glycerin! The "Ian de Candre" recipe uses 3 tsp ppo, but that may mean nothing to this recipe! I didn't add any glycerin at all, so... :think002:

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Starting tomorrow, I will be using my GEM Bullet Tip, but I will certainly break out the 1914 for the American Druggist recipe.

maltedmilk likes this.
  8. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

That is really cool! I'd definitely be interested in trying your new 100 year soap.

9. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Glad to hear it! The official list is >here<. I think you are #3 on the pass-around. The more the merrirer, I say!

I think it will be fun to collect opinions. I have no emotional investment in any of the three soaps, so don't hold back when it is finally your turn! ;-D

KnockOut Shave likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I received the three soaps today and did a test lather with each. The 1914 and the "flop" were a little airy. The IdC was the most promising.
    experimental_soaps.jpg
    Starting tomorrow, I will use the 1914 soap. Right now I am thinking of three shaves per soap, so I should be through in nine days or so. Then, I will pass them on to Patrick. Here is the planned setup for tomorrow's shave. I will be breaking out my 1914 Ever-Ready.
    sod140729.jpg

Jayaruh Shaving

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I shaved with the 1914 American Druggist Recipe this morning. It was a little disappointing. I had done a test lather yesterday, so today I was prepared to do even better, but I could not. The lather was still airy and was disappearing before the end of the pass. It was slick though. This soap was a bit irritating to my skin, so I decided that I will not be using it again to shave. I used my Ever-Ready 1914 for this shave. I had forgotten how noisy this razor is. It did a fine job and provided a good shave. Tomorrow, I will try out the Ian de Candre soap. It test lathered very well, so I am looking forward to seeing how it will perform in a shave. Here is tomorrow's line up.
    sod140730.jpg

maltedmilk likes this.
  12. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's supposed to be airy and really slick? Because during that time wouldn't most peopl have shaved with a straight. And from what I've heard you need more slickness than thick lather with a straight. Just a thought.