1916 Single Ring

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lradke, Nov 15, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Yesterday it arrived! My 1916 Gillette Single Ring. When it got here the box was in pieces, but just where the corners are glued, so it is an easy fix. I actually can't complain too much as I was going to be fixing up the box anyway when I got it (adding a new cloth hinge etc...), so this will just make the process that much easier!

The seller's original decsription mentioned that it was never the silver color like the other razors of its age, but rather a brown or black by nature. It was also mentioned that it was his wife's great-grandfather's razor, and that is all that he knew. Well after purchasing it I decided to dig a bit deeper, because teh razor would have a story and I care about that kind of thing...it adds character. As it turns out the great-grandfather had fought in both world wars, in the US Navy. He lied his way into WWI and during WWII was serving with the SeaBees, and this was his razor. That is all that is known about the history of the razor, and the great-grandfather. Now it has passed on to me and it will have a quite different life!

The razor was completely black with tarnish, so I decided to do the boiling water/baking soda method (you guys guessed right ;) ). After doing this twice (a second time for good measure), I took a soft toothbrush and lightly scrubbed it with my wife's silver polish, just to clean it up a little bit and give it some lusture. Anyway that is enough gab from me...here it is!

Before:
    srpre.JPG

After:
    sraft1.JPG
    (As you can see it has a friend ;) )

sraft2.JPG

2. ossiezig

ossiezig New Member

Nice job! Nice razor! Are you going to try it out? Or just keep it as a keepsake. I'm curious to hear how it shaves.

3. lradke

I used it this morning (posted in SoS thread). I had never used an open comb before so it felt REALLY strange. It seems like a milder razor, but yeah...it felt different than I would have thought...like I was shaving for the first time! I won't use it all the time, my first impression is I like teh closed combs better, but it gave a great shave and I will be bringing it out every now and then.

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

nice job on the clean-up. It looks great and what a great story behind it. Well Done!

lradke likes this.
  5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Beautiful razor, and it's fun knowing a little bit about it. Although I'm primarily an SE user I do love to use the Single Rings and Ball End Old Types, Gillette really had it right when they designed them.

lradke likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nice save!

lradke likes this.
  7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

It's always nice to see one of these old beauties rescued back to life, and when they have a history attached to them it just makes it that much better.

Great job on the cleanup, and thanks for sharing! :happy088:

lradke likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ahh, another one comes back all shiny!

Excellent!

9. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

I love that "Factory Black Finish" especially when it comes off

10. lradke

I was pretty excited! I can't believe how quick it cleaned up!

11. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Well done, great clean up!

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yeah man GREAT clean up...beautiful razor...I think I might have seen that one on e-bay and considered going for it...Does it have the original wood box, but it's become unglued and kind of falling apart?...But it can probably be save, but for display purposes, not for serious use? If thats the one, you and I almost danced for it...LOL

Oh I see from your original post....that is the same one...the same listing also had a beautiful Schick also...Glad you got it!! It's a beauty.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Luke used the force......

:biggrin:

Bird Lives and lradke like this.
  14. lradke

:yodaWhat can I say? I had great masters! :yoda2

Bird Lives likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You know....I was wondering the next day why I didn't go for it....Can't fight the force...:))

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I know why, the blades don't use a key!

HoosierTrooper and Bird Lives like this.
  17. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Nice haul enjoy your shaves.

18. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I need to do that with a few of my older Gillettes... hope I can find the thread with the detailed instructions on how much water, baking soda, etc. to put in

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Here you go!

battle.munky likes this.
  20. lradke

Lol! I was wondering why I won...usually I get seriously outbid on everything! I guess the midi-chlorians helped me out this time! ;)