1918 single ring - gold or brass?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Oct 31, 2017.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

This might seem a daft question but did Gillette make and sell brass razors or did they put some sort of gold colouring, or actual gold plating, on their razors? How do you know if you have a gold plated razor or a brass one? It's been bothering me. I prefer the nickel razors :)

image.jpeg

PLANofMAN and TobyC like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Gillette never made a bare brass razor, but that doesn't mean you don't have one. The quickest way to test is to touch it with a Birchwood Casey Presto Gun Blue Pen, if it leaves a dark spot, it's brass, if it does nothing, it's gold. The dot will easily polish off if it's brass.

[​IMG]

dangermouse and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

That razor looks like gold. I like silver myself. :D

dangermouse likes this.
  4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

looks like gold plated

TobyC likes this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Interesting question.

I have a single ring that looked like it was made of brass, but then I soaked the razor in a bowl of boiling water, with aluminum foil in the bottom and baking soda mixed in the water.

All of that brassiness fell off and I was left with a shiny silver plated razor.

dangermouse and TobyC like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I assume it was black, or very near?

7. stingraysrock

The aluminum foil was indeed blackened.

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I mean the razor, before you cleaned it, silver tarnish is black, or mottled dark brownish.

9. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Thank you Toby, good information that is. I never knew that. About the pen I mean. Thanks again my friend!

TobyC likes this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You are more than welcome! Take care ruddy boe. :happy088:

11. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Toby has been a wealth of information for my questions!

TobyC likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gillette often gold plated their razors. In the early years, (1905-1940ish) the gold was applied in a 24k gold wash directly over the brass base of the razor. The gold wash was protected by a layer of lacquer.

After the 1940's, the gold wash was applied over a nickel plating, then lacquered. The gold coating is much more durable on razors plated this way.

It's fairly easy to tell if a razor (sold as NOS) has been replated, as the clear lacquer has turned orange on the earlier razors. The later razors will have an iridescent rainbow appearance on the head, something not seen nowadays. I suspect that it has something to do with the later lacquer.

dangermouse, Jrdelgado and TobyC like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jrdelgado likes this.
  14. stingraysrock

It has been a few years, but my recollection is that the razor looked brassy.

TobyC likes this.
  15. dangermouse

Wow, that is neat. Thanks.

TobyC likes this.
  16. dangermouse

Thank you, that's a great reply. I have wondered why some old razors have a orange look to them. Do you know if, on some heads, the finish was put straight onto copper? I've noticed a few copper/brass razors and assumed the original finish had been cleaned right off.

17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

On Gillette New's and Tech's, the "copper" is actually red brass, and they were plated just like the yellow brass.

PLANofMAN, dangermouse and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    very-interesting-2 .jpg

TobyC and dangermouse like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There are sources for lacquer that is antiqued, to match old musical instruments that have been repaired, but I haven't heard of anyone getting a razor replated, re-lacquered, selling it as new old stock, and getting caught.

Then again, if they did it right, it would be impossible to tell.

dangermouse likes this.