1947 Gillette Super Speed - "no notch" / (with: "tabs" / "wings")

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SteveF, Jun 24, 2017.

1. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I just purchased a very physically sound looking (with one exception) 1947 - "no notch" / (with: "tabs" / "wings") Gillette Super Speed razor. Both of the TTO silo doors fully open and close, and it appears (just by looking at it, not by physically measuring the blade gap with a feeler gauge) that the blade gap is even and the same on both sides of the razor. However, one silo door opens slightly, but noticeably more than the other (one silo door fully opens normally, while the other opens slightly too much)!? What would cause this to happen, and is it a problem? If it is a problem, how can I fix this problem?

* - I have not used the razor yet, because I still need to clean and sanitize the razor.
    ** - I cannot currently send a picture of the razor, as I am currently away from home (the razor is not currently with me).

Thank you,

Steve

preidy and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If it closes tight and everything else is good I would say it's fine. I am not a TTO expert though. Just my .02.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I have a Slim that does the same thing. But, it closes up tight and shaves great. I just live with it.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome Steve @SteveF! Glad you joined us here at TSD.
    I have used a few vintage Gillettes including a '54 & '58 Flare Tip, a '55 Red Tip & a '56 Blue Tip, and a couple later Lady Gillette Starburst that use the same top ends as Flare Tips of their year. Never experienced any issues with uneven blade gaps or unpleasant shaves. Unless this is an extreme example of user (abused) grade equipment I'd load up a blade and take it for a shave. Post some photos so we can get a look!

If you get a moment, visit The Welcome Center and make your introduction. There's a Newbie Giveaway you can sign up for. Be sure to read the rule to qualify.

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

The most likely culprit is that one of the guard 'combs' is very slightly bent. I've seen that in a number of the TTOs I've cleaned up and made work. It's only a real problem when the razor is open, not when closed. (you may also see that one door starts to open _very_ slightly before the other) It doesn't affect the blade _angle_, so you won't feel the shave any differently unless you ride the comb.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  6. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I discovered, and fixed the cause of the problem. One of the silo door attachment arms was very slightly (almost imperceptibly) bent inward. . . I straightened it out, and it is now operating flawlessly! Thanks for sharing your ideas as to what the cause of the problem might be!