1R1B1W Project 2015

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Scenario
    I have quite a few razors. About 40 or so right now with another 3-4 inbound.

I keep hopping back and forth between which razor I use and I don't really have a clear perspective on how long it was since I used a particular razor..and how much I liked it.

Project concept
    SO, I decided to do a 1 Razor-1 Blade-1 Week (1R1B1W) project this year where I will;
    For one week, use;
    - one razor,
    - one blade.
    And then change to a different razor and a fresh blade (same brand or different brand) next week.
    (Everything else can mixed up as I feel - aftershaves, soap, etc).

Now, this is mostly to get a sense for how much I like a particular razor - and to make sure I use it sometime during a year.

At the end of all of this I am hoping to be able to actually pick out up to 15 razors or so that I simply didn't enjoy as much as I wanted - give them a second chance (different blade than I tried with) but if I still don't really enjoy them it's time to cull the herd.

I'll be posting weekly updates here in this post - mostly to keep track of what I am doing - but if anyone finds it interesting to read please do :)

If you're maybe in the same boat as me and want to "justify" owning all those razors - feel free join and post your journey here as well.

Note: I'm sure I'll re-arrange the actual order of the razors a bit as I go through the months but the fundamental idea remains - 1 razor for 1 week and then a different one :)

A snippet of the s/sheet as it's being built:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    OK, I'll bite. Here I am. I started doing a similar thing this year. January was Injector Month for me, with a different razor each week and a short week. HA! I started in February with DEs, one razor per week. I think at least for now, my plan is to use a different razor each week until I run out, 38 weeks. I will also be alternating between DE and SE razors each month. Here is what I have so far...

orobow.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Then 0f course plus the razors you might pick up during those 38 weeks ;)

Great fun to have you 'join' and going through your collection in a similar way :)
    I started out wanting to pre-plan the entire s/sheet with what razor to use what week but in the end I decided against it and will decide on the razor at the beginning 0f each week (leave a bit up to how I feel) - as long as I don't repeat a razor until they have all had their week.

Today was the 2nd shave with my Wilkinson Sticky.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You hate the Barbasol Floating Head and shouldn't waste your time with it.

I will do you a favor and hold on to it so it doesn't impact this trial and skew the outcome.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

These are not the razors you are looking for.

[​IMG]

mrchick, BigMark, David Green and 3 others like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

do you normally get a whole week out of a blade?
    or are you using one type of blade for a week?

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I do a two pass shave, and I can usually get a week out of a good blade. If not, I just change blades. If I get seven shaves, I retire it anyhow.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Just like @Jayaruh I only do two-pass shaves and I normally don't shave on the weekend so it's just 4-5 shaves x 2 passes in a week for me so a blade will last well through that.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

cool beans, I will await your results.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Progressing pretty well with this little year-long experiment

So far, if the razor scores a 9 or above it's a keeper - if it scores anything below that it's a potential candidate for sale at the end of the year :D

[​IMG]

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Almost two months into my little razor-testing experiment.
    So far only TWO razors are 'safe' from being sold off at the end of the year;
    - The M.Peroni (that might be one of the best razors I've ever tried), and
    - The Famex (that once paired with a better handle gave an outstanding shave).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Been tweaking the rules a bit and have in some cases opted to shorten a testing of a razor from one week down to 2-3 days.

This week was a very interesting Pils 101NE week and next week will be a two-razor week - and the stainless steel theme continues: Weber PH w/ Bulldog handle...followed by Weber PH w/ Wave handle.

The highly subjective ratings are so far as follows.
    (If the razor gets at least an 8 it's a guaranteed keeper.
    So far only three razors have earned that grade;
    - M.Peroni, Tradere OC and Schick Krona.
    And no, I can't see any common theme there - they all just worked really, really well.

[​IMG]

maltedmilk, clint64 and mrchick like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Another month down.
    Increasing my 'razor use' to be two new razors/week will allow me to get through them all before the end of the year - with some 'buffer' for new acquisitions :)

So far, the razors that are 'safe' and will not be sold off are these seven;
    M.Peroni
    Tradere OC
    Schick Krona [Gold]
    Weber PH w/ Bamboo and Bulldog handle
    Berkeley Custom Shaver
    Thiers-Issard No 17
    The three WWII UK Military issued razors

(My 'goal' is to just have twelve razors in 2016 and I hope I can stick to that. I might have to further up the requirements for what it means that a razor is saved).

Anything else on that list will most likely get a price tag slapped on it.
    (I will however go back and re-try Pils and Durham 300 (with a new blade) before making the final decision).

So, 19 down...a bunch to go...
    [​IMG]

clint64 and jimmy Mac like this.