1st day with Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lferg, Feb 27, 2009.

1. lferg

lferg New Member

Yesterday my Slant arrived. This morning it was my first shave with Tabac and my first shave with the slant. I corcked and loaded a feather and went to town... I was careful because I have heard that a slant can be brutal.. Well as you all know you can cut your nose completely off will a Feather and never know it due to their sharpness. Well let me tell you. I finished my shave and wiped off and looked down at my towel and there is was..... what looked like 1/4 of my bodies blood. I looked in the mirror and my neck was all hacked up!! I wiped it off and to my relief, it wasn't NEAR as bad as it looked. I just nicked two tiny placed that just happened to bleed a lot for only a moment. BUT I did get the closest shave OF MY LIFE. Thanks to everyone who told me I should just get a slant. A 2 pass shave that ended up BBS with no visible cuts! Slants are the SH**!!!!

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Congrats on the shave. Wait until you get the hang of the slant and see how good those shaves are.

3. sas71

sas71 Member

make out your will and make sure your shave gear gets to my address..esp the Tabac and HD since i havent tried either of those yet :D

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Slant schmant get a GEM... Viva LE Revolution.

Fuzzy

5. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The slant is indeed a fine shaver. Gotta say though, I've been using an open comb Gillette here recently and it shaves even closer. I would say it's much more aggressive than the slant and requires more care. It never ceases to amaze me how differently all these models and brands perform. It kind of makes sense that they chucked the whole idea and went to cartridge razors. Easier to manufacture and no decisions to make on the part of the consumer. Not saying I agree.....just sayin'....

6. aircoder

aircoder Member

First razor I bought was a slant, that was short lived traded it with my friend whom got me into wet shaving with a De. Oh boy learning to shave de on a slant was a challenge. Great Great razor but only on those days where you can really take your time. Will pick up a new one one of these days now that I have years more experience. Congrats on the new razor enjoy it always.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am working on a trade for a 1909 single ring., that should be fun. I love my 29 OLD. but not enought to stop my SE love

8. lferg

lferg New Member

I have been thinking about this very thing. I can't seem to wrap my head around why we moved away from wet shaving. The closeness of the shave, the price point, the "green" value, the joy,the comfort level and the fact that my skin LOVES me now, the wonderful soaps/creams. It baffles me why we moved away from it. To me it's like going push button start car back to hand crank start car. It just makes no since and it's stupid!

9. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

Lol, your 1st experience with a slant is exactly what I had with my slant and even up till today I still have to really take it slow but the effort does produce the closest shave for a safety razor

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Money. Gillette started the thing by practically (and literally) giving away razors so that people would have to buy his blades.
    It worked astonishingly well, until other companies started making blades and then they could not make as much money.

Then came the cartridge razor where you have to buy the brand name blades. and BAM! the razor companies are making mad money again.