1st shave with voskhod.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

today I tried for the first time the voskhod Russian blades I got from the sampler.
    Futur on 2.5, Arko stick and a brand new omega boar brush. Right out of the shower.
    I have to say these blades are much sharper in my opinion than the Wilkinsons I've been using up to now.
    I cut myself a few times until I turned the dial to no 1.5 on the Futur. I then put the blade in the Merkur 34C HD and it felt milder which I didn't like so I put it back in the futur and finished off.
    I'm glad I didn't use the R41, as this would have necessitated hospitalization.
    I do like these blades but I do realize I have to be extra cautious with them.
    I went WTG and 2 passes XTG both ways and I got BBS. Now I don't really feel any soreness on the skin, no weepers, no red spots, only a little discomfort from the cut above the upper lip.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Spud, battle.munky, NCoxSTL and 8 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I experienced the same thing with the feather blades. Good luck with your razors. I don't have those but I've heard nothing but good things.

3. Kypros Christodoulides

I'm dying to use these blades with the Ikon X3 slant that's in the mail. The Futur although very a good adjustable I feel it's a bit bulky for my hands and difficult to handle.

Demidog, Robyflexx and tuxxdk like this.
  4. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I too recently got a batch of Voskhod to try. Italian Barber has them at a great price.

I find them a little harsher than Astra SP but seemingly in the same range of sharpness - maybe slightly less sharp. I've used them in two of my own razors (Kraken, Whalebone) as well as a shavette (Parker SRX). For the price/performance, I will keep them in my rotation.

I was hoping for something sharper than the Astra SP. I can't justify the cost of Feathers. I've heard that Gillette Silver Blue are in the ballpark, but those aren't very frugally priced either.

5. Kypros Christodoulides

It was the first shave with the voskhod and maybe I was a bit careless. Next time round I watch it more carefully. I've seen my barber run a new blade on his nail to condition it. I don't know if this has some bearing why I cut muself today.

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That reminds me... I need to ping one of our overworked brothers about a tuck of Voskhod I won from a guessing game he ran. :)

RyX and Kypros Christodoulides like this.
  7. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

FWIW-I would use a new blade in the same razor until it degrades. For me, it is easier to judge. YMMV

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sharpness is only one aspect of a blade. Not all sharp blades are smooth or long lasting from my experience and not all blades pair with all razors. Blade like and dislikes are very individual. I prefer less sharp blades with Gillette adjustables and sharper blades with milder effecient razors like the Gillette older Tech's.

10. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

After I tried them in my sampler pack I bought a quantity of them online. I preferred them over the others I tried. I have since ran out and purchased some Personna blades. I cant say I am a fan of those. They work but I prefer the Voskhod.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's been my experience as well. Harsher than an Astra, but not as smooth as an Astra. They work well in aggressive razors. Ladas seem to be sharper than Astras. Might want to give those a try.

12. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

This is what I did. I ordered a sample pack of 100 online and these were the first blades I tried. I put a brand new voskhod in my 34C and it felt horrible. Some of the guys on here told me to revisit it after my technique got better. I really like them now. I'm sure there are better blades out there but they are not bad. They are sharp.

champagneinhand likes this.
  13. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I found a pack of 50 Feather New Stainless 10 x 5 packs of platinum coated blades for $13 on Amazon Prime. I think that's the most reasonable price, which is why I gave them a try. They are mad ass sharp, but I have a buddy sending me some Voskhod to try as well as buying 10 packs of Trig Stainless and Trig Platinum coated, but at $4.99, they were not a bargain and I have yet to try them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I am a huge fan of the Gillette Silver Blues. For me they are definitely sharper than Astra and smoother as well. I bought mine on Ebay. HERE is a link to the current Buy it now from the place I bought mine (hopefully it works and it is not a problem to post the link). I can also agree with @PLANofMAN on Ladas. They are sharper than Astra to me and just as smooth. They are another good blade and can be found fairly cheaply.

If anyone is looking to sample blades, I can thoroughly recommend tryablade.com. Excellent selection of blades, a reasonable price to let you try a good sample, and excellent customer service!

PLANofMAN and drone115b like this.
  15. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Voshkod's give me a good shave, but they do feel a bit tuggy after a while. I go 3 shaves per blade as a rule but i've considered cutting back to 2 shaves with these.

I shave with mostly Russian blades & I would put Voshkod's in 4th place in the Russian blade olympics behind Gillette Silver Blues, Polsilver Super Iridiums & Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows. But that 4th place is a a very good showing as the other 3 I mentioned are nearly flawless for me. For whatever reason Astras just don't agree with me and they give me neck irritation and 2 or 3 nicks per shave, and I think I'll give Astras one more chance in the rotation and then may have to relegate them out of the rotation. So, Voshkod's may be the cut-off point for me as far as Russian blades go.

16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Voskhods are my favorite blades, incredibly smooth in a Tech.

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For me, the Voskhods work great in any razor I use, but Ladas blades seem smoother. Along with the Lab Blues, they are my top three blades, followed by Rapiras.

18. matteob

matteob Active Member

I use these in my Edwin Jagger and Wilkinson Sword Sticky razors and they are absolutely fantastic in that they give a close yet smooth and forgiving shave. They are both mild razors though and have no idea what they would be like in something more aggressive. I am fairly new to DE shaving so am sticking to mild forgiving razors for now. The blades I did damage myself with in the EJ was the complimentary feathers that came with them (too sharp) and Derbys (too blunt). Someone on a Brit forum recommended the Voshkods as a good balance.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    champagneinhand likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Voshkods work fine for me, but they are no match for GSBs or Feathers. For me at least.

20. Kypros Christodoulides

yes they work fine for me too, but given half a chance I would use the feathers.