2 weeks In

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by dougkc, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dougkc

dougkc Member

Well I have a few wet shaves underneath my belt. It's been pretty interesting so far. I'm enjoying the process. I applied too much pressure the other day and happened to be going over a the only mole on my face. And yes, I cut the top off. It sure does bleed more than the nicks I've gotten on my neck! Thank goodness for the styptic pencil. No if only I can remember to not shave it tomorrow...:eek:

I used a different brush today that worked a lot better. It was stiffer and seemed to have more hairs. It worked a lot better when applying the lather so I'll have to buy a new one as this one was borrowed from my bro inlaw.

I guess my only question is advice for the neck area. I get some nicks on the bottom of my neck, although today wasn't as bad. Any tips on how to tackle the neck so it's a smoother shave?

Well so much for only one question. In regards to blades, how do you determine the best one for you? Are you more concerned about the closest shave possible or a happy medium between close and comfortable shave? I suppose that is more than likely a personal preference. I used the Derby first and my face burned for about 2 hours after each shave, but my shave was fairly smooth. The Astra's seem to not get as close for me but the razor burn is minimal to non-existent. If you have any criteria for judging blades, please share! :thanks:

:eatdrink047:

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

The best thing I find for my neck, is to stretch the skin as much as possible, usually from the jawline and pull upwards. As for blade criteria, I would suggest comfort first - there's no point in a blade which gives you BBS but lets you feel like you were dragged down the highway face first.

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Don't worry, your gonna find it gets easier and better as you go. The lower neck often doesn't seem to have very much hair anyways and can be uber sensitive..and for sure that is the way it is with me. Sooo I don't really need to do very much down there altogether and when I do, I take it really gentle. And I agree with Justin.. the skin stretching can be helpful...

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I agree neck stretching helps, also as time goes on you will learn which areas need less pressure. I have learned that the neck area requires a more gentle approach then say my lower lip chin area where a little more pressure is neededed

If you have not done so yet get hold of blade sampler for yourself.

5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hey, that's a layer off - less likely to cut it next time! But, if you do, another layer gone! No point in giving your hard earned $ to a dermatologist.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It only gets better.
    As for blades, get a blade sampler as Brad suggested. Only by trying each one for yourself will you know what works best for you.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I take the opposite approach from Neolithium, I pull the skin at the bottom of my neck down towards my collar bone. I guess that's because my neck hair grows upwards towards my jawline and I hate to shave against the grain. I wouldn't want to nick my fingers, would I?