30 Day Rule experience

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by nibbs, Jan 2, 2015.

1. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

I thought this may be helpful for many new members.

I'm sure many have read countless posts on "only your face will know what blade is the best," "you'll know as you go," and "where to start... anywhere..."

I'm mid-way into my 30 Day Rule here, again, and in that process had tried a few different blades (re-setting the clock each time). With every shave, my technique had improved, so there were times I wasn't sure if it were the new blade, or I should pat myself on the back. There were blades that I definitely received poorer results from in terms of closeness- but others where I questioned was it me rushing a bit, too much pressure, etc that resulted in some burn- or do I really like this blade?

Here's what I'd say to those starting out- don't be in a rush, don't be afraid to restart the 30 day clock over. Most of us can relate to when you knew it was time to switch out your old cartridge style head- and how much nicer a new one felt. That's how your blade should feel as well. Just because it's a more 'rugged single blade shave' where you hear that glorious sound of every whisker being sliced doesn't mean you should feel it grabbing and pulling!

Granted, with more shaves, your technique is better, and that makes an enormous difference. That's all well and good- however, when you find that blade that seemingly glides and provides a close shave- just stick with it and run with it. The glorious thing here.... it's not like you have to stick with it for life! The idea is to find something that works, then work on yourself (technique). You'll then be able to pop in a different blade and have a basis of comparison.

For lack of a better comparison- for those that golf, it's finding that club and that sweet spot. You might just hit one brand/model better- you may like the feel of one better, only way to know- swing them all. There are ones that you'll take two swings and say 'naw...,' and others, you may go back to unsure of- few swings with this, then a few swings with that. Beauty here with shaving- it's much cheaper to swap our your equipment if you wanna try something else and start over!

SO- to wrap it all up- don't get hung up on what most other people like/use. Sure, it can be a good place to start, but the only way you'll really know is to form a basis of comparison; and that means to try things out. If you are 2 months into shaving and feel the need to start your 30 days over- so be it. There's no rush, and in fact, that's what you'll learn to love about the wet shave- taking the time to enjoy it.

for what it's worth from one that remembers what it's like to be starting out... because I'm still living it!

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You have hit on exactly why I stated that you need to find the combination that is correct for you. You have the proper perspective on the matter. If you find the first 10 or 15 days in something is not working, try something else and reset the clock after you found something that works better. I am glad you found out what the 30 Day Rule really entails. Well done and well said!

macaronus, VedderLG, Tdmsu and 4 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

These are great thoughts! I will link to this for the discussion thread!

GDCarrington and nibbs like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Shaving is a learning process that is constantly evolving. The 30 day rule is a beginning, not an end. With practice comes enjoyment and perfection. :happy088:

5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Great recommendation and congratulations! :happy088:

nibbs and GDCarrington like this.
  6. paulkoop

paulkoop New Member

Just ordered first safety razor and straight razor sooo stoked. Never heard of the 30 day rule. Is the 30 day rule 30 straight days of shaving cuz i dont shave everyday.

Troy M likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den. You will soon learn the three Ts which stands for "Technique Trumps Tools." Now I mention defective products, no amount of technique can overcome a defective product. The products must be ones that can work correctly. No out of alignment razors, or poorly manufactured blades that have bad edges, can be overcome by technique.

Here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade, enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you. After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique available to enjoy all the gear.

It would work well if in the case of day skipping to make it 30 shaves instead of days.

Oh, and one last thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Delawhere? and nibbs like this.
  8. paulkoop

paulkoop New Member

Thanks. Have no ideahow excited i am to do a real shave lol. I got the good stuff Merkur safety razor a cheap brush tho. So the equipment should be great.

macaronus, wristwatchb, nibbs and 2 others like this.
  9. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

Just take your time- watch some videos on here that give great tips. One of the biggest things to learn is how to forget how you shaved with cartridge style razors!

wristwatchb and GDCarrington like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very good advise. Sounds easy but it does time for your muscle memory to develope.

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@nibbs Welcome to The Shave Den! Thanks for the solid advice and perspective! Best wishes on your 30-day journey!

12. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

This is great information, I am gonna give it a go! I am new to this DE Safety Razor and for the first time in a while I enjoy it!

GDCarrington, Bama Samurai and nibbs like this.
  13. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

Only following what others have laid out; @GDCarrington

Ask questions - share your shaves, and you'll see there are many here that'll help with suggestions along the way!

14. Peter Martin

Peter Martin New Member

Well I really liked reading it.Your information is nice.

15. Jwilcox21

Jwilcox21 Member

Looking forward to starting my 30 days!

nibbs likes this.
  16. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

SAVE THE WHALE! or rather... BRING BACK THE WHALE!

17. Jwilcox21

Jwilcox21 Member

Amen to that! All we ever had as our own in CT and they took it away! At least we are undefeated for 20ish years haha. We do have some of the best college basketball in the country, so I guess we do have something!

nibbs likes this.
  18. Jwilcox21

Jwilcox21 Member

Set up will get here tomorrow. Never thought I would be this excited to shave!