'65 Slim: Help me clean this sucker!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bryan Miller, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Bryan Miller

Bryan Miller Active Member

Evening,

Today, I scored a nice 1965 Slim at an antique shop for $13 and also a cool vintage tobacco pipe holder that I'm restoring into a nice razor stand.

Anyways, after doing several boiling water/dish soap sink, scrubbing bubble + toothbrush scrubs, and turtle wax chrome polish wipe downs with q-tips, I've been unable to make the inside of this Gillette. I think it's surface rust but I need an experts advice. I do not have any MAAS but plan on picking up some tomorrow. Am I just using the wrong polish? Should I pick up some pipe cleaners and a brass brush?

Help!

Attached Files:

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think you've hit brass. It looks pretty clean to me but these razors are brass with nickel plating and eventually the plating will wear off. I'm not sure about your polish but polish with abrasives will wear the nickel off even more so I think you may want to just hit it with the scrubbing bubbles one more time and call it good. It'll shave fine with a bit of plate loss so don't sweat that. You got a nice deal on it so enjoy the shaves.

Ryan B, Shaver X, BigT and 2 others like this.
  3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

^^What he said. MAAS is potent & contains abrasives, so you risk more plating loss. Gillette plating is notoriously thin to start with, so less is more. You don't even want to leave scrubbing bubbles on the razor for long (just wait till the foam color changes & remove. SB is for removing soap scum, not polishing. It also contains a disinfectant)

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree it doesn't look like rust and any rust on the blade pan would be from a razor being left in the razor for a protracted period not the razor itself....Put another wipe on it and use it...."GREAT SCORE" for only $13.....:)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: with an emphasis on that more polishing will only make it "worse".

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Feeltheburn's advice to use Scrubbing Bubbles one more time makes a lot of sense. If it turns out you like the razor, it can always be replated if you want. Then it will look as good as new - or even better.

7. Bryan Miller

thanks again.

yea it's as clean as its gonna get. used polish anyways and I'm happy with it regardless of the brassy look.

8. Bryan Miller

Final product (this is after shaving my head and face with it)

Attached Files:

Raven312, ohpaos and feeltheburn like this.
  9. Bryan Miller

thanks for all the feedback! check out my shave den post.

10. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

I just scored a 65 as well ( K4- my birth month). Can't wait to "scrub N' bubbles" her and get to shavin'!

Raven312 and Bryan Miller like this.
  11. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Just got an English made aluminium Rocket. I thinks it's the one called the Paperclip. Any ideas how to get the aluminium to an original type finish?

12. Bryan Miller

no clue. good luck tho

13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If it's oxidized, you can polish it but it will oxidize again. Once aluminum gets a surface layer of oxidation on it, it prevents further oxidation (unlike rust on steel). Usually aluminum is anodized to prevent oxidation but I have no idea if that was done on the Rockets. You could have it polished and clear anodized to fix it permanently but I'm not sure if that would hurt the collector value.