A question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Sudsy Soapery, Tabac both strongly scented and long lasting.

Be careful with your aftershave pairing :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Stirling Soap Co. has lots of choices and best of all if you like to try a few with out commitment to a whole puck go for the samples. As for matching with AS, they carry them as well.

Yehuda D, Stu929 and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ohhhhhhhhh, I don't know if I'd call Stirling a croap, my brother! (But I do agree the Electric Sheep is a strong, but NICE scent!) ;)

4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So true! Wife and I picked up like 8 or 9 samples and have loved them all expect one. Funny thing is I knew I probably wouldn't like it but it had such a good reputation I wanted to be sure. If you happen to have an old spice mug the Stirling samples fit perfectly in them.

I enjoy sandpiper, ben franklin, mountain man and Executive Man. Im sure there are others but theses are ones Ive tried and enjoyed. Executive man is my everyday shave soap and I have the matching afyer shave.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Which one didn't you like? Mine was Stirling Bay Rum. I find it harder to find one I don't like. :D

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Well, my Electric Sheep, and Scots Pine Sheep are not hard puck soaps, and they are not creams... What else do I call them if not croaps???

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I don't know what to say! lolll

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

That it is. My Monday shave was with Barbershop and maybe today's as well. I never know which soap I'll use until I stand there in front of the entire inventory.

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

Stirling enough said. ;) :)

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

While I agree that Stirling isn't a super hard soap, I don't think it's soft enough to be considered a croap either. In my experience, the sample sizes are much softer. The full size tubs I got are lumpy on top from the way they're filled, but I can't press a finger in them the way I can with something like Cello.

11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Stirling soaps
    Catie's bubbles
    Barrister and Mann
    L & L grooming

In that order, too

12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree - Stirling is not a croap. It is not as hard as some such as Tabac and the various Fine soaps but certainly harder than Cella and the Proraso type soaps. I did a test on a new tub of Stirling Barbershop. I weighed the tub before using it for the first time. After ten shaves with full brush loading and bowl lathering - I weighed it again. I calculate that I will get just over 60 shaves from that one tub. That's pretty good.

Enrico likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

14. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Dr. Jon's Aphrodite is really strong. Lasts all day too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Perhaps a good move by Doc Ezlovan to introduce it as an aftershave, too.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Wear it all the time. A serious new favorite. And it keeps bugs away.

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The more I read about Electric Sheep, the more I get a sense of it being a clone of the "Original" Rise(that is, when it began in the early 50's, not the one I have-athough there isn't TOO much of a difference).

18. PickledNorthern

Do you know what a citronella candle smells like? It's that. With a little extra lemon thrown in.

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That description did it for me ... no desire ... at all. :sick007:

20. PickledNorthern

It is utterly fantastic.

It is probably a bit unfair to say it smells exactly like a bug candle. It isn't cloying at all. It has eucalyptus and lemon, and is actually very light. The aftershave dries down and mellows very fast, and somehow manages to keep a lemony thing going for quite some time.

That said, I recommend to everyone to try a sample first. It seems like a definite love/hate thing.