A Slick Fix !!!!

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by gssixgun, Sep 12, 2012.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    So before I show you the fix I have to give you the back story [​IMG]

Hi Glen,

It seems I need your honing services again. (edited personal info out) I tried to hone this one but....
    The razor is an unusual (see attached pics) Joseph Rodgers & Sons thin wedge and the step up/down spine or whatever you call it. It was an eBay purchace with a cracked scale.. I just couldn't turn down as I love the JR & Sons shave. and this one gives me a 7 day set of JR's. Anyway, I know you usually charge extra for the heavier grinds and was wondering if this fits that category. If you would please give me a price and where to ship.

Bruce

Bruce,

The razor looks like it "Was" a Frameback, I won't know for sure until it is is hand, If I am right it will need a new "Back" fashioned out of Brass or Steel. but let's see what I think when it gets here..

The honing will be $ including return shipping...
    If it needs a new "Back"we just have to see how much work it actually is to make one ???

g

That is interesting that it possible 'was' a frameback. Guess that explains the step up/down on the spin, never thought about that one. I tried setting the bevel with 3 layers of tape but like I said its very hard to put your mind into honing under the circumstances and figure I'd let you hone it instead of me honing the edge down to nothing. Do you think it will hone up alright like it is?

Bruce

Bruce,
    From the pics, No, I think it is going to need a "Back" I won't know for sure until I try
    g

Glen,
    Ok, sounds like a plan. Let me know what you think when it gets there.

Bruce

So here are the pics:​

The razor with the scales on there as it came to me​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look closely at the spine, what I saw in my minds eye was a Frameback without a frame..​

So I got a brass tube and a dremel cutting disc and made a frame [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a Jeweler's Chasing hammer and a small anvil and slowly fit it on there with some help from a small metal file [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I stand corrected on my own statements over the years, when I said "The one thing we can't do with razor restoration is add metal back on there" I always did say "Yet" [​IMG]
    Here is a rebuilt Frameback J. Rodgers​

[​IMG]

It is going on the hones tonight, it looks, and feels right, I have a feeling it is going to hone right again [​IMG] I need to measure the bevel angle too when I get a chance..​

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is awesome. Great work!

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Wonderful work. A very nice looking razor. Did you show it to Glen? What did he say about your "back restore"?

[Edit] Sorry Glen I got confused "lol" not hard for me to do. Still a Fantastic job!

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Sweet. & the color difference/contrast makes it look even nicer, imho.

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Test shave went very well, nice small even bevel, bevel angle is now at 16.14° which is about as good as it gets...

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

WOW amazing work Glen,:cool: That really is great and it look stunning

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice upgrade / revision!

8. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Pretty slick!

9. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Great fix Glen, looks perfect I really like the contrast of the brass bar on the frameback, as always Glen delivers.

Jamie.

10. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Yep! Glenn did a fantastic job on that JR frameback for me and as he said it does shave very well. I am very pleased with the "back restore" he did on it. What Glenn actually did was save what would have been a useless razor. My hats off to his 'out of the box' thinking, it turned out great!

178-bplatoon likes this.