A very pleasing way to spend/waste time and money.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Harry Lime, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Harry Lime

Harry Lime Member

Hello all,

Been lurking for a time, and now finally coming out from the corner. I have been wet shaving for many years, started DE in 1996 because I am cheap and appreciate the older/better way of doing things. (I also really enjoy fountain pens.) For about a decade I enjoyed the comfortable shaves and the money savings: I used the same Merkur razor, cheap brush and Mug soap. Found these forums and decided I was missing something.

I am now completely lost in the rabbit hole and cannot stop buying razors, brushes, soaps and A/S. My wife thinks I am crazy. I am trying to stop or at least slow down this year. Did not have the fortitude to join this years sabbatical. I do, however, enjoy the leisurely pursuit of making your face smooth.

Look forward to discussing this great hobby of ours.

Cheers.

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! We do have enablers, so bring your will power with you. :)

3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Welcome! You sound like you'll fit in here :D

4. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

5. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! Obviously, you’re one of us. :eatdrink047:

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @Harry Lime, from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome to The Shave Den @Harry Lime , from Texas. If you are tired of enablers, come over to the Straight Razor section. We don't pressure anyone, and you don't have to worry about buying those nasty little blades you have to keep buying. :signs136:

Dansco likes this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fold:)

11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

What is your "go-to" setup now?

RyX likes this.
  12. Harry Lime

Harry Lime Member

After buying many razors, I have learned I prefer a more aggressive shaver to mild. I have been using a Merkur 37c most often as it is really efficient, yet mild. These new synthetic/Plissoft brushes are amazing compared to how they used to be. I have been using the Stirling Soap double band tuxedo alot. For soap Proraso is my current favorite, along with their A/S.

I was a die hard daily Clubman user (so much so that I bought the "Country Club" size bottle) I have wandered a bit lately and feel bad about it. I started dabbling in Pitralon, Speick, Proraso, Myrsol etc. your face feels amazing and botanical scents are invigorating.

I have also been eying the Blackbird and/or Paradigm in stainless, but they are in a whole new level of extravagance. My wife already gives me cross looks over my $100 razors. One day....

wristwatchb, Hodge, RyX and 3 others like this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Dansco likes this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Welcome to TSD!

16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome @Harry Lime! I can attest that the Blackbird is a fantastic razor.

RyX likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Harry Lime

I hope you enjoy it here. A lot of nice people and great information. Don't worry about buying too much stuff. The buying slows down, once you buy all the stuff you can afford and what's left is harder to find and to afford. Trust me I know what that feels like as do many of us. :) So enjoy your new hobby and a life of great shaves!

Also the Merkur R41 is affordable and on the aggressive side of the spectrum.

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Harry Lime! Glad you delurked and jumped in. Sounds like you've gotten over the early learning curve part of the program. Now it's fine tuning, experimenting, finding what works just a little better than the last thing you tried.

I got a chance to take a polished Blackbird for half a dozen shaves. Both the long and short handles, and closed & open comb base plates - very efficient aggressive razor. Your budget will tell you if it's affordable. But don't sell off all your present gear to get one. Just the stuff you don't use anymore!

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I agree with your take on Myrsol.....great stuff, own em all.

Welcome from Canada btw. :D