About the care of equipment

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by EmreMusovi, Feb 2, 2014.

1. EmreMusovi

EmreMusovi Member

Dear sirs,
    i have some questions about periodic care of the goods.
    First of all my goods are:
    Feather ac dx straight
    Feather as-d2
    Simpson super
    Simpson best

For double edge and straight;
    Daily care: simply rinse with water remove the blade gently towel de and blade than put the blade on and leave. (if ill not use de for 3-4 days ill keep blade out of it)
    Weekly: just clean with cologne and detergent.
    Monthly: clean with disinfictant (ecodent) and mineral oil.
    if ill not use it for a long perioed mineral oil.

For brushes:
    Daily: rinse with cold water, gently towel and hang it outside, and use daily rotation.
    Monthly: clean with shampoo

Any suggestions? i should avoid or add to routine?

Many thanks

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan. I just rinse my DE and my brush after each use. Then let it air dry.
    I don't see any thing wrong with what you are doing.
    Maybe wipe it down with alcohol sterile prep pad. Alcohol prep pads images.jpg
    You can buy them cheap at any drug store and or any grocery store.

BigT and GDCarrington like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sounds like your taking good care of your equipment..:happy088:
    I use a Weber 3 piece DE and generally just loosen the head some, rinse it out well with fresh water, then dry(razor and blade) out with a hair dryer and retighten,so everything thing is ready for the next morning shave..Once a week or whenever I change blades, I'll dismantel the head completely and clean off and wipe away any soap residue...So far I've never had any rust problem with either the Weber or my blades doing this..
    For my brush I pretty much follow the same procedure.. Rinse well with fresh water, damp dry with towel and then finish with hair dryer on medium heat and high air flow..Then I hang the brush hair down in open air...When using the hair dryer, I constanly move the air steam over the knot, never letting the hot air sit in any one place on the knot for long so as not to loosen the glue..I've been using this method daily for over 2 years on my cheap #6 horse(?) hair brush from bestshave.net with absolutely no signs of damage....:)

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Why the cologne?

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

To make things smell nice! :D

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Serves me right for asking.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, seriously, I guess it's for desinfecting - since cologne is alcohol based?

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I would go and get some Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol to use in place of the cologne (unless you have some cologne that you don't like to wear and you are using it up.)
    The rest seems fine to me.

9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Sounds like what you're doing is just fine. I do about the same thing but use alcohol wipes in lieu of cologne.

10. EmreMusovi

EmreMusovi Member

Thank you very much. Cologne im using 80 percent alcohol and odorless . So ill pass cologne since i anyway wash with detergent(dish soap)

Ty

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I do the same thing you do. Rinse the razor & blade. Dry off and reload for the next shave.

12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

IMHO, anything beyond just rinsing, shaking and wiping excess water off the exterior is a waste of time. I even leave blades in my razors until it's ready to change and then I clean the razor part by part.

If I were to pull the parts apart everyday and wipe blade and what not I think I'd be back with cartridges again... that's just too much hassle.

But that's just me. YMMV.

Chuck F and fram773 like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I prefer to disassemble, wash & dry, then reassemble my DE razors after each use, without the blade. It only takes an extra minute or two to do so. For me, it is worth the extra hassle as I start each new day with a fresh, clean razor and blade.
    With my straights, post-use I rinse and thoroughly dry both the blade and the scales. I then strop the razor before putting it away. Since I rotate in the straights fairly regularly I don't bother to oil any of them.

dscaver and PatrickA51 like this.
  14. PatrickA51

What about putting a light coat of mineral oil on the razor ?

15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

What is the purpose of odorless cologne?

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Since he said it was 80% alcohol, more than likely it's for sterilization.

17. PatrickA51

I found a couple of bottles of A/S that I have had for many years and a couple that came from my Father-in-Law, which he had before he died. They don't seem to have any fragrance or odor. Maybe after time they don't smell any more? :angry017:
    Of course maybe that's good.:shocked003:

18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Maybe that's it. I was wondering why anyone would make odorless cologne! I was on the verge of a great business model involving tanker truck loads of 80% isopropyl alcohol, millions of small glass bottles and a printer.

GDCarrington and PatrickA51 like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Unscented cologne. Sounds right down my alley.
    I rinse, disassemble and dry my razors. I rinse, dry, and arm strop my de blades. I reassemble for the next day. It may be a minute, but less than two for sure. Keeps everything nice and shiney. I rotate through three brushes. I rinse the brush, shake off excess water, and hang from the handle. When I shave, I take the brush from the stand and put it on the counter bristles up to finish drying. Each brush gets three days to dry out.

20. I wash them off, take them apart and clean them. Then spray down with ISO and put back together. Disgusting fact: fecal matter gets on everything in the bathroom. With a blade that sharp I don't want any chance of infection.