Above The Tie M 2

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Barrylu, Jan 18, 2014.

1. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Wow that's a lot of stuff. Well the bidding on the Cobra is going well. In reality though, I'm kidding myself. I can see it skyrocketing to over $200 and I'm not doing that. I just know this razor can shave better. It's not that the results are bad. It's just doesn't seem all that smooth. I'm wondering if I should try the Astras. It's just about all he sells on the site, so they must have something about them that work particularly well in their razors. I can't imagine them release it unless it went through some pretty extensive trial and error. Then again, who knows.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Okay, I'm not sure if someone else has tried this, and I'm almost positive they have. I've been having issues with my razor so I decided to see if I could manipulate a bit. I put strip of scotch tape, 3 strips actually over the each of the divots on the base plate. Apparently this determines the blade gap of razor. Since the M2 blade gap is microscopic, I wanted to see if this trick worked. I loaded the blade which was still secure in the razor and was able to see the difference in blade gap instantly. I started shaving with it and right away, it felt like a brand new razor, it shaved like a near $200 should shave. I was blown away. If there was a only a way to widen the centerpiece of the base plate; you could lessen the exposure of the blade. Well there's always a way. I actually prefer to have more gap and less blade exposure. I'm going to call a few places and see what the cost would be. It will probably be high, but in end; I'll have my perfect razor. Thank for blade. Not my favorite, but at least I finally tried one. I like Sputniks and Timor, but I'm pretty sure you have them already. If you don't, please let me know. Thank you again.

3. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

In essence what you did is to add a shim to the razor. This is often accomplished by using a pair of scissors to cut off the blade parts of a DE blade thus creating a shim. now place the shim under the blade in the razor. The result is an increase in the shave blade angle. Also one of the advantages of the ATT is to buy a more aggressive base plate. The base plate you have is easy to re-sell on any shaving site. You might even be able to buy a more aggressive base plate on one of the shave sites. That is one of the advantages of the ATT.

feeltheburn likes this.
  4. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Yeah I'm going for the R2 plate although this is what Stan said:

abovethetie@gmail.com
    Jul 21 (5 days ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to John Alexander Black

Hello John,
    Glad you like your razor, never tire of hearing that.
    The exposure is the same on all the plates, only the gap changes.
    Hope his helps.
    Stan

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2014, at 6:30 AM, jhnblck62@gmail.com wrote:

> A user has sent you a message from AboveTheTie.com
    > Name: JOHN BLACK
    > Email: jhnblck62@gmail.com
    >
    > Comments: Good morning. I have a question. I bought one of your razors from Bullgoose Shaving Supplies. The M2 Kronos actually. The build quality on this thing is to point where it should be illegal. Seriously, it's ridiculous. All kidding aside, I love the razor. This is the thing though, is the blade exposure on all the plates the same and the only thing that changes is the blade gap? Or is it a completely different setup altogether for the closed comb. Just wondering because certain blades just do not fly with this razor. I was thinking about purchasing one of the closed comb plates also just to see if that's the issues I'm having. Let me know.

This is why you can't read everything you believe. I've read several posts saying well I had the Open Comb version, but it was way too aggressive, so I ended up getting the Closed Comb and right away it had significantly less blade exposure. The man in charge just said the exposure is the same on all the plates, whether it be or open and closed. I know he has a money back guarantee, but I hate returning things; unless it's unusable. This slight change turned an okay razor into a top notch one. I also ordered the DLC Ikon head, it's only $100. The plate and head of AAT is $146.

5. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Get the Joris. I'm not knocking the R41, but the Joris is clearly in another league; as is the price.

6. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

I just ordered the R1 and R2. Used. It was $116. It felt like a completely different razor. I would call it more aggressive though. I actually felt the blade less if that makes any sense. I'm getting the Ikon DLC head also. It should be here by Wednesday. I should have purchased it from AAT but lesson learned. People have said the open comb is smoother, others say the closed comb. I don't see how since the exposure and gap are the same. I guess we'll see.