ABOVE THE TIE RAZOR SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JBMAN1974, Jul 25, 2014.

1. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Hello, I'm pretty new to this forum; but I've been DE shaving since I was 15. The only cartridge razor I've ever used were the Sensor Excel blades. I have a Pils 104 handle with those Excel blades, all made in Germany. Yes the Sensor blades are German. If that means anything. Germany produces are a lot of crap also. That combination gives me the best shave. It wasn't psychological either, because I knew nothing about the razor when I first used it. Whatever it is, the shave is amazing. All of you who trash cartridge razors, should really try the Sensor, but get a decent handle. Anyway that's another topic. When the Above the Tie system came out, I was taken back because you had the option of six different razors, 8 really if you count the other handles. I bought the M2, just because people were saying the H series is just too aggressive, the R not far behind. I got the M2, just because I like open-combs. Now their company seems to think that aggressiveness is all about the gap. Well it's not. The blade exposure is paramount and when you run any Above the Tie razor across your face, especially if you're not using the ideal blade, that blade feels like an unwelcomed house guest. I've only used the Open Comb plates, but the closed comb can't be that different. I put several layers of Scotch tape over divots in the base plate. Loaded it with a Sputnik (I love those blades) and the gap was noticeably larger. I have pretty heavy growth, and two passes, with and across and that's it. Going against the grain wasn't necessary. Not only that, the shave was as smooth and comfortable as it could get. The company has dropped the prices on their returns which makes me wonder if more people haven't figured this out. The only difference between the plates is the depth of the divots. Now if I can only change the width of the center block. That would lessen the exposure of the blade. Then I would have the perfect razor. Opening the gap didn't make the razor feel any more aggressive, in fact it made it more comfortable. Go figure. I'm sure a machine shop could do it, but they would probably charge a fortune.

178-bplatoon and Boojum1 like this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Maybe one day I will get one =)

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I started using the Sensor Razor when it came out in the 90s. Since returning to DE shaving last year I still use the Sensor Excel now (with Sensor 3 carts) for some of those hard to reach spots on the last pass. True the handles are poor, and I'd like to find a decent handle. I didn't know the blades were made in Germany. I'm still buying them. Are the Sensor 3 Disposables made in Germany too?

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I can't see paying all that money for a all stainless razor, just to tape it to modify it
    it's yours so you can do asyou see fit. not me.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  5. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Yes, you can get them on Amazon. I think because everyone trashes cartridge razor, no one tries them. I agree the ProGlide and Mach III may give good results, but your skin will be hurting in a couple days.

6. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

You're right. The only difference between the plates are the depth of the divots. You can change the aggression yourself and not spend another 170 for the other plates.

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If I look at an M plate next to an R or H plate, there's clearly a difference in the height of the "block" at the center and that gives a larger blade gap. There's a pic below of an M next to an H. To me it looks like they're made from the same bar stock but there's less milled off the M.
    [​IMG]

BigMark likes this.
  8. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Well if you lessen the depth of the divot, it definitely has an effect on the blade gap. I know the shave was superior I'm every way. The blade exposure is the same on all the plates. [​IMG]

9. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

I ordered it from Pils. The Sensor 3 is not available

10. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Well the height of the center block determines the gap. Unless you have machining equipment, you can't shave down the block to your specs. But the gap really has nothing to do with how aggressive the razor. I guess it depends on what you term as aggressive. It certainly makes the shave more efficient, but what shocked me was how smooth the shave was, smoother than the smaller gap. I always go XTG to get the shave I want, but when I changed the gap; it was with the grain and across and that was it. I've heard some people say the closed comb razors have much less blade exposure, which makes for a milder shave*. They need glasses because the blade exposure is the same on all the plates.
    I'm going for the R2, and selling my M2. I don't know where, but I'm sure I'll find a place. I wrote Above the Tie and this is the response I got.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

abovethetie@gmail.com
    Jul 22 (2 days ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to John Alexander Black

Hello John,
    Glad you like your razor, never tire of hearing that. (He's probably sick of hearing that)
    The exposure is the same on all the plates, open and closed; only the gap changes.
    Hope his helps.
    Stan

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 22, 2014, at 6:30 AM, jhnblck62@gmail.com wrote:

> A user has sent you a message from AboveTheTie.com
    > Name: JOHN BLACK
    > Email: jhnblck62@gmail.com
    >
    > Comments: Good morning. I have a question. I bought one of your razors from BBS. The M2 Kronos actually. The build quality on this thing is to point where it should be illegal. Seriously, it's ridiculous. All kidding aside, I love the razor. This is the thing though, is the blade exposure on all the plates the same and the only thing that changes is the blade gap? Or is it a completely different setup altogether for the closed comb. Just wondering because certain blades just do not fly with this razor. I was thinking about purchasing one of the closed comb plates just to see if that will solve the issues I'm having.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    *This is why you can't read everything you believe. I've read several posts saying well I had the Open Comb version, but it was way too aggressive, so I ended up getting the Closed Comb and right away it had significantly less blade exposure. The man in charge just said the exposure is the same on all the plates, whether it be or open and closed. I know he has a money back guarantee, but I hate returning things; unless it's unusable. This slight tweak turned an pretty decent razor into a top notch one.

P.S. I called a few machine shops that work with stainless steel and asked them to make a head based upon the Above the Tie head where I had control over blade exposure and blade gap. You would not believe the price I was quoted. This is one razor head now. $575. Has anyone actually seen the work that goes into machining stainless steel? So people who complain that $185 is too expensive, need to realize the labor that goes into making one these razors. It's not the like Feather which is a joke in comparison. It seems nice, but when you have an Above the Tie in one and the Feather in the other. I don't care what kind of surgical steel it's made out of. It's not as nice. Just because it's expensive, it doesn't count for a hill of beans. Kai blades are expensive, but those things are terrible. The only reason the cost is so high is because the number of hands is passes through and everyone needs to make a buck. I'm getting the Ikon DLC head aslo to try out and that's it for my razor purchasing days. I've had just about enough.

11. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Most Sensor blades are made in Poland, Brazil and very few are made in Germany. They sell them on Amazon. Trust me, they're awesome. Get a decent handle and you not be disappointed. You don't need to get a Pils handle although it helps because the piece that holds the blade is of very high quality. Nothing like the one that you see in the drug stores. They're expensive. A pack of 10, run about $20. From a cost stand point, it doesn't make sense, but the shave itself rivals any DE razor without having to be careful and making sure you always have the proper angle. You have to watch out though, some Sensor blades are garbage. They pull and tug. Amazon sells the ones made in Germany and Pils sell them also.

12. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Well since you have an opinion on it, would you like to give me $74 so I can get plate I want. I didn't buy from the vendor and that was my mistake. I could have just returned and exchanged for another plate.