Acceptable or not?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fiatster, Jan 24, 2017.

1. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

If you have a vintage razor that is in pretty good shape, but is missing it's end caps, is it ok to use end caps from another razor and fit them on? I know most people would say if it's your razor do what you want, but if you plan on selling it would that make a difference. I don't know, maybe I'm just over thinking all of this.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

If there are vintage end caps available go original. If they are not you have a 'hanger queen' taking up space.

Primotenore and Carbide Mike like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you sell, just be sure to declare it.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup.

Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

So KAV, what you are saying is if I were to obtain another one the same year that was only good for parts, I would be ok to use those caps correct? Also, Steve, yes, I would be sure to state that. Would not feel right if I didn't.

Carbide Mike, Demidog and swarden43 like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The caps are not easy to change and have it look original.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Correct. If you were to change/add the end caps, the razor would need to be replated. The heat from soldering on the end caps destroys the plating around them.

You could attach them with epoxy, but that would not be original to the razor's style of construction, and also the repair might not last as long.

In my opinion, if you had correct style end caps soldered onto a razor and then had the razor replated, you would need to disclose the replate, but not the replaced end caps...Much like if I was restoring a vintage car and replaced some trim pieces with trim pieces from the same model car. I would disclose that the paint was not original, but probably wouldn't mention the trim pieces (unless they were aftermarket reproductions).

8. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Very good information guys. Thank you.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Be open on the condition of the razor, and let the potential buyers decide.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Agree. Any accurate description and terms of as is, in good faith, is totally ethical.

PLANofMAN and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

What model of razor is it ? I kinda doubt it would be worth it to mess with unless it is a somewhat rare razor. and then chances of finding an part donor are very slim.

fiatster likes this.
  12. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

1946 Aristocrat. I was just curious about the thoughts of the forum on description protocols. I'm actually planning to keep it as it's my birth year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The 41 Aristocrats didn't have end caps, is it gold plated where the end cap would be ?
    [​IMG]

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Primotenore like this.
  14. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That all cool. I hope you get it done and post the results. I would love to see before and after pictures.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The difference between the '41 and '46 is the end caps. If the ends are plated, then it is a 1941 model and never had end caps.

17. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a 46 with the end caps not there. I went back and checked the pictures and it really looks like that. The razor is gold color and the places where the end caps should be are bare or silver color and look like there was end caps on at 1 time. Oh well, like I said before, I didn't pay much for it and it came with a decent looking case and blade holder. I forgot, (old age} but I did bid and won a 46-47 that also hasn't arrived. I rechecked those pictures and the end caps are on it and the razor looks good. We shall see. So even if the one without the end caps isn't great, I did get the box and holder to put the other one in. I'll post some pics when they arrive (if I don't forget where my computer is).