Ad nauseam for most I am sure.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I received my Rockwell 6c today. I can honestly say it was $50.00 well spent. I open the box and was happy with the razors quality look, weight and feel. I inserted a Feather blade on #3 and started my shave. The shave was mild and smooth. I achieved a 3 pass BBS. Needless to say I am very happy with my purchase. I am going to use #4 tomorrow. I learned my lesson about going to aggressive so I will work my way up to #6 or not just depends on my ability to maintain a BBS. I highly recommend this razor it is all it claims to be.

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

It’s interesting to me-I have heard that Rockwell as a company is not really interested in what is called the “ enthusiast “ market like the artisans, but by all accounts they made an excellent razor.

cliffb599, Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I started off on #3, went #4 for a while. Now I'm on #5 and just going to leave it there as I am getting two pass with minor touch up BBS shaves with every blade I've tried. It's a great razor...........

cliffb599 and Enrico like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been contemplating the 6S; each time I hear favorable review, it only confirms my interest in one.

5. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

You know, I keep seeing these razors pop up from time to time and I have yet to pull the trigger on one. Somehow I find keeping track of the different base plates much more involved than setting and forgetting a number on an adjustable dial. But then again, I have only the minor hesitation of dropping what some people may call "stoopid amounts of money" on a fine Vintage razor. The vintage razors have much more character than today's razors. Looking at the craftsmanship of an 1885 Kampfe wedge blade, a 1920's Schick repeater, or the pre-war Gillettes, versus a modern CNC example, I will keep the vintage all the time

6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I started with the 6S and also have a 6C that I use when I travel. I love them both. I love the 6S more, but the 6C doesn't know that. :) I like the weight of the 6S. It is slightly heavier, which I favor, but, they both shave the same. So, it is just a matter of whether you want a brushed stainless finish (6S, $100) or a bright chromed finish (6C $50; white chrome or gunmetal). I started with the #3 base and only recently moved to #4. I am happy with #4 and I don't need any more aggression than that. I find that Gillette Silver Blues, Ladas, 7 o'clock Platinum, Astra SP, and Croma all give a very nice, close, smooth shave in the Rockwell. Feather and Kai work well, too, but are not as smooth IMHO. I highly recommend this razor. Especially, if you need a razor on the milder side or just like razors that are very smooth.

Edison Carter and Misphit like this.
  7. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

Agree with the OP. Thr 6S and the 6C are both excellent razors. Something about the geometry.

I find all plates useful. When using a sharp blade on the first shave, blades 3/1 are fantastic to tame the blade. As the blade ages moving up to 4/2 plate and to a 5/6 if needed.

For a medium sharp blade, starting with plate 4/2 and moving to 5/6

I can see why vintage adjustables are preferred for a single dial doing the task, how be these three plate SS razor is absolutely idiot proof and also fail proof. Less moving parts is more accuracy.

I've also ordered the gunmetal as i've heard the new finish is top notch.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Terry Williams and Misphit like this.