Adding slickness to my face

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by TheManWithNoName, Jan 11, 2016.

1. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den, BeShaved! If you haven't already done so, you should check out the thread "How to make your own Pre-shave oil." You'll find a variety of PSO recipes there. I hope you find one that works for you.

2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

A dollop of glycerin will do the trick when needed. I didn't had any luck with PSO. However with time your skills will greatly improve and you'll be able to skip that also.

3. TheManWithNoName

Thanks for the tip, KLF. I've been adding glycerin to my lather for a little over a week now and it seems to help.

BeShaved and KLF like this.
  4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I'm reading this post with great interest as I'm a newbie. I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I start so I'm better prepared. I'm off to check the pre shave oil section now. Thanks for the advice.

TheManWithNoName and BeShaved like this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

There's no substitution for practice. Don't take too long trying out how to do it perfectly. Just start doing it. You won't be sorry.

6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I tried preshave oils but they just felt...oily. Tried lots of products, found Neutrogena shave gel in a can (not the stuff in the tube, which is a different formula) made the best preshave. Use just a small amount. Similar to Cremo, but slicker and no scent. I used this for about a year, but recently gave up the brush entirely and went back to Barbasol. I do a thorough wash with the Barbasol first (sort of a preshave) then lather.
    I know, everyone is hooked on thsir brush stuff, but after many years I've concluded technique is more important than form

7. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

If you have a Dollar Tree store near you go in and find Pairs pure glycerin soap it's only a dollar and then wet & rub that on your face before shaving works wonders

TheManWithNoName likes this.
  8. TheManWithNoName

Thanks for the info here, gregkw1. There are two Dollar Tree stores here where I live, so I'll look for this soap next time I'm there.

9. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Sorry it's Pears not pairs.

TheManWithNoName likes this.
  10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Agreed. Whenever I thought I needed a PSO, what I really needed was to change soaps.

11. Swiffer

Swiffer Active Member

I too have tried pre lathering before shaving. I lather up my face and let it sit a few minutes. Then wash it off and lather for shaving.