Advice for using SE's? I have a 1924 Ever Ready

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shavetheman02, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Shavetheman02

Shavetheman02 New Member

I just bought a 1924 Ever Ready for dirt-cheap and put a Gem Stainless SE blade inside it. I have to say, this razor can bite pretty hard. I tried blade buffing and I had to use both an Alum block and Styptic pencil after this.

I think I'll have to use the slickest cream/soap I've got.

Anyone use the Ever Ready at all? Is this the more aggressive of the SE's?

Karl G likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

SEs can be more agressive than DEs. When I started with SEs, I couldn't use one for more than two shaves in a row. That third shave always resulted in razor burn. I can now shave every day with one with no problems. How?

First - you really must watch the pressure. Imagine you're trying to take the lather off without touching your face, but leaving no lather in the path.
    2- ride the cap. SEs really seem to have their optimum angle with the cap on or very close to your face
    C - did I mention to watch your pressure?

Keep with it. Learn what works, what doesn't. SEs are great razors.

ob1page, MPF9, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  3. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

You have one of the more aggressive SE razors, blades that can be a little harsh for the first couple of shaves, and a lack of SE experience.

That can be a nasty combination. :eek:

The biggest difference is that SE's in general require a much more shallow shaving angle than DE's. Forget all about that 30 degree stuff. Start with the cap flat against your face and raise it just until you're cutting whiskers. The 1924 provides all kinds of audible feedback - when it sounds like you're buttering toast, you have found the angle. Then, as mentioned just use a super-light touch. It's a cliche but a good one - let the weight of the razor do the cutting.

A word of warning - SE's can be addictive. I've used them exclusively for two years, and I sold all my DE's last year.

--Bob

ob1page, MPF9, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  4. Shavetheman02

Shavetheman02 New Member

You are correct about that. SE's are kinda like a minority within a minority. I still use DE's as well, but these just mow right through the beard. I think these might be better for 2-day growth, but my opinion will probably change once I tame the SE.

How many shaves do you get out of a Gem Stainless blade?

twhite likes this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I get 5 great shaves from the stainless and carbon blades. I always do a 3 pass shave. The 6th shave I can feel the blade starting to dull just a bit. I prefer to have my blades as sharp as possible.
    You will come to really love SE's like Bob said. You will give up your DE's.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99 likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

All of the advice is spot on. Angle is key, so start with the cap flat against your face and lift the back of the razor till it begins to cut hairs. Getting around the nose is tricky at first, but easy after a few shaves. I get three good shaves, maybe four, out of a gem Personna blade.

twhite likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You've got that right! SE razors are addictive!

8. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

I typically get a weeks worth of shaves from a Gem stainless coated blade. I could get a few more, but like Tom I dislike shaving with a blade even the least bit dull.

--Bob

twhite and Robyflexx like this.
  9. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

I can get up to Six, but have recently decide to limit it to 4, as I am rotating between SE And Injectors, the blades of the latter seem to go on forever.

twhite and Robyflexx like this.
  10. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

My rules are entirely arbitrary, and based on limited anecdotal experience. I use a DE blade four times, a Feather AC blade eight times, a Chick injector blade ten times, and a Gem SE blade eight times. These arbitrary rules, together with my blade dice, give me world order in my morning ritual.

gorgo2, twhite and Robyflexx like this.