Advice on open comb shaving - Fatip Grande

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by PBSax, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I don't know if gentle is the right word, until I got the angle right it could tear me up and leave me sobing in weepers, but once you get it is more or less smooth sailing. Minimal or no irritation a weeper or two once in a while but nothing to get excited about. I' ve seen some people writing about how mild the Fatip and others cursing it as the razor from hell the demons use to flail the skin of the tormented in the deepest reaches of Hell. I guess it's a YMMV thing :D

2. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Yeah,that's right. :D But i think i can handle it better with a milder blade like an Astra SP or an Voshkod or stuff like that.

I think i never will use a Feather in my FaTip or my R41...that would be self-destruction. :D

3. Monkeylord

I use Astras and they work like charm....well they work like a charm for me in anything :D

4. ChiefShaver

In generally i use the Astra SP as my favorite blades too. But i have found a new blade that works very very well in almost all of my razors. It´s called HEMA. Nice blade. I found it in the Netherlands on a sightseing tour and i´m glad that i found these wonderful blades.

But when i see some pictures of the FaTip and my 2011 R41,then it seems to me,that the blade exposure on the FaTip is a bit more,or? I know the eye is a liar,but i can´t help myself...

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I've seen comparison pictures of the Fatip and r41. The Fatip definitely has more blade exposure. But aggression isn't solely blade exposure. The Fatip doesn't have much blade gap IMO. I think the EJ actually has more.I had a Fatip but got rid of it because I always needed a 3-pass shave no matter how aggressive. I could use the Fatip with no problems WTG and XTG but come the ATG and there would be lots of tiny nicks and irritation. I blame the blade flex because I am able to use SEs (ER 1924 for example) with more blade exposure for very good nick/irritation free shaves. The blade flex a DE blade exhibits did not look like it was accounted for by that amount of blade exposure. If you define aggression as a razor that removes the most hairs in the least amount of passes- that does not meet the description of the Fatip IMO. If you define it as a razor that gives you the most irritation and nicks- then the Fatip meets this defenition.

Furthermore the quality on the Fatip was just bad. The holes on the baseplate were too big for the posts and it would slide around thus the blade before tightening would give different blade exposure on each side or the blade would load crooked. I never owned another DE that did that- not even a cheap aluminum Lord. I would not recommend a Fatip.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Comparable blade exposure. It may be due to the 'true' open comb design of the FaTip vs the modified OC design of the R41 (2011) that gives the appearance that the Fatip of greater edge exposure. Visibly they are quite close.
    Night & day difference in finish quality (as Fram alluded to above) between the models, however. Granted, the Fatip is about 1/2 the asking price of the Mühle. Still, the FaTip model I owned was pretty rough.
    I never felt the Fatip was more aggressive ('efficient'=smooth face with fewest strokes) than the R41; but ironically that FaTip razor bit me more often than pretty much any other razor I've owned. A real 'weeper' generator—considerably more than the R41 or straights.

R41s & the FaTip:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and ChiefShaver like this.
  7. Monkeylord

If I'm not mistaking the Fatip head design was used on R41 prior to the 2011 model, and I think it's used on another DE but I cant remember which one , all I know it's a bit costly :D

8. ChiefShaver

I meant exactly these photos. Thanks for posting again Kevin. The quality of the razor is not the most important thing to me.For me it´s the most important thing how it will shave. And i have to say,i like my R41 with a mild blade. I never will use it with a Feather. This scares me too much. ;)

My Merkur 38c has a very bad finish,so i know how a "bad quality razor" looks like. But i keep in mind,that the shaves are very fine.That´s what i hope for my FaTip´s too. The finishing camparison of both razors (R41 vs. FaTip) seems to be like a Ferrari vs. Alfa Romeo. :rofl: A very expensive high class car against the sporty but "cheap" everyday car.

9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Joris.

The difference between a Merkur and a Fatip is like a 90s GM car and a Yugo :D

HolyRollah and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hey, but everybody needs a Yugo sometime! (about as much as everybody needs a root canal…)
    [​IMG]

barbersurgeon and fram773 like this.
  11. ChiefShaver

The Head is the same on Joris and FaTip,right? But i heared from a few people,that the shave with a Joris should be complete different than with a FaTip.

The sound should be different too...Could that be?

12. ChiefShaver

Hi Friends,

don´t know if this one is the right Thread,but i searched for a "Piccolo" Thread and found nothing. I just wanted to show you my newest Razor. My FaTip Piccolo.
    Feels very nice in my hands,has a nice weight to it and a blade exposure that scares me a bit. It´s not the best finish,but i had that in mind.The price for this razor is still unbeatable so i can live with the poor finish.Important for me is how it will shave. My first shave will be tomorrow (in combination with my new Tiki soap).The habdle feels very nice and hace a nice knurling.I like this little Italian.
    Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks very solid to me.It´s charming...;)

13. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

The Piccolo is a very good razor. I was very impressed/relieved with it when I had it in my hands as I had heard that the finish can be so so with these. I thought it shaved well though I like my TTO Open Comb Cadet razor a bit more. I only wish I had shopped around a bit more before I purchased it. I bought it from Italian Barber for around 23 bucks and recently saw that it is being sold on Connaught Shaving for around 16 bucks. Oh well.

14. ChiefShaver

I thought the finish would be much more worse...it´s not that bad as i thought it could be. It´s not comparable with a iKon or stuff like that,but the Piccolo has it´s own charme. :) Now i´m waiting for my FaTip Grande in "Gun metal finish".

HolyRollah likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Excellent! I look forward to reading your impressions. The issues with the FaTip's finish seem to be a consistency factor in production.
    I have read where Fatip owners have found NO flaws in the finishes of their razors :happy088: but there appears to be a fairly high number who were not so fortunate. At the price, however, it is difficult to argue finish flaws, considering the razor does provide an excellent shave for many.

ChiefShaver likes this.
  16. ChiefShaver

That's right Kevin. I shaved under my Arms a few hours ago just to give the FaTip a testdrive.

Wow!!! Smooth and gentle. Without any irritations,nicks,cuts or what ever.

It seems that this will be a deep friendship. :)