Advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Boseero, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Boseero

Boseero Member

Hi all. I recently purchased a Merkur 23C about a month ago. I have used it about 10 times until I reveiced another DE from the newbie give away. the one I received is a lot smaller and gives me a closer and better feeling shave. I think it's from the shorter handle, I have more control. I just generally get a better shave and I find it easier to shave with.

I am wondering if any one has a suggestion as to a shorter handled razor to use. I am just trying to reduce my irritation right now.

Thanks!

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The Newbie Give-Away razor is an open comb.
    The Merkur is a closed comb.

That is more likely the difference you are noticing, rather than the length of the handle.

The shorter the handle the more likely you are, as a newbie, to apply pressure, I think. The only pressure should be coming from the weight of the razor. The shorter the handle, the more likely the position of your hand on the razor will naturally apply pressure.

3. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

+1 on that

There are so many different combinations with blades and razors, it would be difficult to say which is best. Short handled razors may perform better with a less aggressive blade, where a longer handle or a heavier razor works better with a more aggressive blade. The key is NO pressure regardless of which combo you use. That's why I think the light weight razors are more dangerous than the heavier ones, because you do have a tendency to apply pressure to make up for the lack of heft from a heavier one. Just my opinion.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Good point here. I had a Merkur 39C Sledge Hammer Slant. It turned out to be way more razor than I needed for my beard. That razor requires you to actually use negative pressure because it is so gnarly huge. Another example is my recently acquired Cooncatbob extension knob for my Progress, that knob adds like four onces to the weight of the razor.

5. newb

newb Resident Newb

I think that the heavier razors have a tendency to dig in, even with no pressure. The only heavy razor I can use consistently with out irritation is a merkur future. YMMV