Aggravating blade exposure problem

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Mar 1, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I found a beater red tip this weekend and just couldn't pass it up for $3. Problem is, the blade exposure on both sides is off, but is reversed from one side to the other. IOW, on one side, one end of the blade is slightly higher than the other end. Turn the razor around and it has the exact same problem, only the opposite corner to the first side is off.

Put yet another way: if you look at a razor straight down from the top, imagine the blade at the lower left and upper right corners are higher than they should be...that's the problem here.

I cannot figure out what would cause this problem unless the entire head/blade tray was torqued hard at some point, which I just don't see happening as the doors close up more or less evenly (despite the noticeable blade error).

Anyone see this problem before? I shaved with it last night and, as is, the cut is just too far off for comfort.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ahhh....You found the rare Gillette Red Tip Slanter speed!:happy102

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

:shocked003

To the OP - I dunno, mebbie someone knows!

4. Griz

Griz Member

Well, you know over the past 60 years or so there are lot's of things that could have happened to it. One thing for sure though is it sounds like it needs some tweaking to bring it back square.

Most likely you will have to gently bend it back into shape and the problem could just the the bars, not the whole bottom plate. I would try coming down with the close side using a screwdriver (cover it in tape) GENTLY and then see what the other side looks like. Chances are it will not need quite as much adjustment.

With some patience and care you can bend them back most of the time.

I hope that helps.

Will N.