Aggressive Razor Showdown

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SharpSpine, Feb 12, 2012.

?

Which razor should I try first?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2012.
  1. Muehle R41

46.7%
  2. Merkur 39C Sledgehammer Slant

13.3%
  3. FaTip

40.0%
  1. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

A friend on another forum is sending me 3 aggressive DE razors to try this week. I was asking him question about aggressive DEs and he offered to let me try a few first hand. So this week I'll be receiving the following to test drive:

1. Muehle R41 w/ Cooncat Bob handle
    2. Merkur 39C Sledgehammer Slant
    3. FaTip

So, the poll will help me determine which to use first but I'd also like to hear which razor you think I'll like the most and why.

alpla444 likes this.
  2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Don't use the R-41 first. That way, you'll have some skin left to try the others.

3. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

my vote for the Fatip, if you don't like it, sent it to me ;)

Bird Lives and SharpSpine like this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I didn't find the FaTip to be an aggressive razor at all which is why I sold it. Quite mild actually.

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I don't really find my sledgehammer to be that aggressive, but that's just me. I'm probably just used to it. I would start with the FaTip then move on to the Sledgehammer, and finish up with the R41. With the R41's reputation Randy is probably just in his recommendation. :D

6. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

agreed that the 41 should be used last. haven't shaved with the others but the 41 put the fear of god in my beard. i have a love/hate relationship with it

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Aside from the different blade feel due to the thinner and more flexible DE blade, the only one close to the OCMM is the R-41. I would try the others, but don't expect them have near as much bite as the micromatic.

SharpSpine likes this.
  8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

R-41 I have really grow to like mine:) and probably the cheapest option (and poss the best looking)

CyanideMetal and SharpSpine like this.
  9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

is the FaTip the same as the pre-redesign open comb Muehle r89? If so, then it's a pleasantly aggressive razor. I haven't used the other two. You might also try out an open comb micromatic. It's the standard by which I judge aggressiveness.

PanChango, alpla444 and SharpSpine like this.
  10. SharpSpine

The OCMM is my daily driver which is why I'm interested in trying the more aggressive and efficient DEs. My best DE shaves so far have come from a Slim @ 9.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Haven't used the FaTip but the Sledge will run in the other direction scared from the R-41. If you want to see what weirdly aggressive is, hit the 41 first. If you want to graduate upward, hit the FaTip or sledge in either order and move to the 41. She's a beast but a nice beast :D

SharpSpine likes this.
  12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

It does have that look doesn't it?:)

SharpSpine and alpla444 like this.
  13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

A slim on 9 has much more gap tha the R-41 does but the R-41 seems to be a much less forgiving shave, lending to the idea of aggression. It is untraditionally aggressive.

SharpSpine likes this.
  14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I aint tried either of the other razors, Id like to try a slant but im getting good shaves with my current razors so it aint too important for me to get one just now.

But as you it is very easy on the eyes:)

CyanideMetal and SharpSpine like this.
  15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never seen a FaTip and the name has started to pop up a lot recently. If the OCMM is your daily driver you'll probably be dissapointed in anything besides the R41.

SharpSpine likes this.
  16. SharpSpine

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well, but the idea of a slant which creates a 3-dimensional stress on the blade intrigues me. The FaTip is regarded as a more aggressive open comb so I thought it'd be a good one to try. I have a sneaking suspicion though that the R41 will be in my future. The only question after I decide that is whether I want to go Grande or get a BRW handle for it. But that will be the topic of a future discussion. Have to shave with them all first.

17. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Sometimes you people really crack me up... :angelic007:

SharpSpine likes this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I use my OCMM for the vast majority of my shaves. I have an R41 at home, but it hasn't been seeing much love recently. I would suggest you take a look at the floating head Barbasol razor. It's got the same general feel of the R41, but is a bit more smooth for me. I see the difference as drinking some fresh whisky as compared to some that has aged in nice charred oak barrels for a decade or more. Both do the trick, one is just a bit more pleasant.

newb and SharpSpine like this.
  19. SharpSpine

I think that floating head Barbasol might be a bit harder to locate and get a hold of though. :(

20. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

I own 2 of the 3 razors and I agree The FaTip is pleasantly aggressive and the R41 takes the prize regarding aggressiveness. Doubt if I will ever try a Slant but there you go my 2 cents. I have been using the FaTip for the past week and it really is hitting all the sweet spots that I look for in a razor. I like the R41 but I would get irritation but great shaves with it but I am liking the FaTip better because no irritation. I will still be using my R41 but probably not as much as I use to. As always YMMV especially in shaving.

SharpSpine likes this.