Aggressive Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Martin3203, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Martin3203

Martin3203 New Member

What makes a razor more or less aggressive?

2. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Usually a combination of blade gap and blade exposure as part of the overall design.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Can you explainn what you mean by "Aggressive"?

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Add curvature differences (changes the angle), handle length, weight and even center of gravity to these as well.

Mark1966 likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Aggressiveness is really a measure of the efficiency of the razor and blade in action.

For example a shaver who uses an R-41 may be able to make a single pass due to the contact point of the blade to skin because the razor/blade combination is so efficiently set.
    The same shaver may have to make three passes with a Super Speed to achieve the same closeness or maybe not even as close because the the razor/blade combination is less efficiently set.

Here is the gotcha: If your skin has capillaries close to the surface, or is less hardened or what ever would cause your skin to be more sensitive, then the very efficient razor / blade combination can cause irritation and / or weepers and cuts.

I have found that the wisest thing anyone can do in terms of selecting a razor is to pay attention to their skin. Get a razor that is aggressive enough for your skin to produce a comfortable close shave. If it is in one pass WOW, if it is in three Excellent, or more for you to get the closeness and comfort you need then great. Do what is best for you.

6. Mark1966

I had in mind that the curvature largely impacted through blade exposure but you are right it would also change the shaving angle. I'd forgotten about the other factors - good call !

awake2shave likes this.
  7. Martin3203

Martin3203 New Member

The reason I'm asking is because I won a vintage Gillette on eBay. I've only been shaving with a DE for a few weeks and someone on here said its an aggressive razor. From what everyone said so far tho I guess I won't know how it works for me until I try it with different blade combos.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What Gillette is it?

9. Martin3203

Martin3203 New Member

How can I tell?

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well I am about to sign off for the evening, however, I can help or rather Joachim can help. Joachim is known through his site mr-razor.com

Look around at each of the divisions in this page. Most of the major variants of Gillette razors are contained by type/time in this site. When you find the one that is yours just come back and post the name and someone should be able to help. I come back tomorrow evening I will check this thread again.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette Rasierer.htm

Good fortune in identifying your razor.

11. Mark E. Wallace

Mark E. Wallace New Member

Judging from this thread, he got an Old Type. Khaki set.

- Mark

12. Mark1966

Short answer is yes.

Razors, as you have gathered, have different dynamics and properties - there is a huge variation in styles and the resultant shave they produce.

Blades similarly have different characteristics, usually described in terms of sharpness, smoothness and longevity (plus whatever else GD reminds me I've forgotten!)

Putting these two variables together gives even more permutations and that is before you add in lather quality, technique etc and the most critical factor - your face and skin is different to mine!

After a while what works for me I can ensure will pretty consistently work for me - but it still may not work for you.

Lest all this sound too daunting to be clear most of the variations are very marginal. The significant ones you will pick up even on the first couple of shaves. After a few months you get the 95% solutions in place - the rest is us obsessing over the last 5% as we seek shaving nirvana.

Well that ended up being more rambling and philosophical that I intended. Most importantly - ENJOY YOUR SHAVE!

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

The idea of 'aggressiveness' my not be in the razor but rather the user. I've not tried every made or model but I've tried more than I should have and have found only one to be what I call 'Mean'! A '04 Gillette 'M'. It gives a real BBS shave in two passes but no matter what blade I try, it 'hurts'. doesn't cause cuts or weepers it just 'hurts' to use.
    Think what I'm trying to say is that technique and skin condition play a big part in determining what 'feels' good and what doesn't.
    I've been trying to use an open razor for most shaves this month and as my skill is still lacking in using one; I may not be slicing myself up but I can feel the shave for a few hours after. Aggressive? No just inability!:)-(

14. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Well said, Gary. When it comes to choosing the proper razor, I'm afraid many don't consider their skin and beard type.

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:happy069:
    Or their age.. maybe I'm getting a little too old for those big heavy Klingon razors lol...

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

There are Klingon ones? Who knew? Personally, I prefer the Romulan ones. ;)

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

In no particular order, aggressiveness can be altered, or perceived to be altered, by the following (not a complete list, either):

Brand of razor
    Model of razor
    Type of blade
    Brand of blade
    Condition of blade
    How thick your beard is
    How tough your whiskers are
    How loose or tight your skin is
    How well you prepped your beard
    Soap/cream/goo used
    How tightly the doors are closed, or not closed
    Angle at which one holds the razor against the face
    How hard one presses the razor against the face
    Direction at which one shaves whiskers (ATG, etc)
    How much of a hurry you're in

Take the vaunted Red Tip, for example, a razor I love but don't own anymore. It used to be hyped as an uber-aggressive razor but really isn't that bad, a fact I think most wet shavers have now accepted. Still, it's more aggressive than most, but not nearly as aggressive as some. I have tried razors that were reputed to be what a Sith Lord would use and thought "meh." I've also had "mild" razors bite the heck out of me.

Also keep in mind that your perception of a single razor's aggressiveness can vary from shave to shave or even during the same shave.

In short, there's too many factors go into the answer to your question simply, including but not limited to the few I listed above. But knowing which razor you have is the place to start.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ahhh Qapla!

Sara-s likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Martin, sorry it took a day to reply but we had some bad weather coupled with a long day at the office.

An old type is a moderately aggressive razor, but not like the R-41 or Fatip by any means. Thin modern blades make this first model style Gillette in my opinion a better shaver than when it was introduced with thick carbon blades!

I really like the vintage OLD Open Combs.

Sorry it took a day to reply but we had some bad weather coupled with a long day at the office.

I hope this answers your question.

20. AwNix

AwNix Member

Blade gap or weight. A lightweight razor can be aggressive if it has a larger blade gap and good head.